The Stranger’s Gundown / Django il bastardo (Sergio Garrone, 1969)

Underrated movie for me this one. Really like the scene where django says he is going to watch murdock die slowly…slowly…slowly while showing django descend a hillside riddled with bullets from the union army.

The soundtrack was nice.

Quality over quantity. VCI first, Retrovision second.

I know it was stated that no cropping was applied but the VCI has more picture on the sides. That being said, the quality makes it well worth an upgrade if you are stuck with the VCI. This may be one of Steffen’s best westerns but has probably little to do with him. It always seems to me they put a lot of effort into convincing us of the otherworldliness of Django only to seemingly quickly tear it down. Actors not listed on the DB: Rocco Lerro, Mauro Mannatrizio, Claudio Ruffini, Marcello Meconizzi. I’m not sure how many Ukmars were active but there are a plethora present here.

Franco is on the left followed by Giovanni, Giancarlo and Clemente (as far as I can determine), but which one is this?

Exactly how I feel, which is what keeps the movie from being more than an exercise in maddening frustration rather than the true great it could’ve been, should’ve been and very nearly is. It’s still a terrific concept though even if Django the Bastard fudges it, ultimately, and there’s enough in DtB to keep me coming back to it, even if it’s only to be maddeningly frustrated all over again (I feel a similar sense of “What Might Have Been” with horror/thriller Kill List - which I still love to bits despite its flaws - and, to a lesser degree, sci-fi pics Reign of Fire, Event Horizon and Sunshine).

Yep, and I’ll be back too, someday. There’s a lot of good stuff here.

Six brothers, the remaining two are Sergio and Bruno… :smile:

1 Like

Born stuntmen! Thanks JC.

Wow - great find. Thanks for sharing.

Also cropped from top and bottom, as I already noticed prior to releasing. Too bad.

Is the Brazilian DVD the only uncut release? It’s a pity I didn’t get a copy before it went OOP.

Interestingly, in Three Crosses Not to Die a.k.a. No Graves on Boot Hill there’s a fist fight scene (not the typical saloon brawl) in which at least five of them appear.

The 2,35:1 screenshot below, that’s from Alleluja & Sartana Are Sons… Sons of God.

1 Like

So the fourth Hawkins henchman, in the background with Artemio Antonini, is Sergio Scarchilli!

And the third Ukmar from left to right in Carlos’ post is Sergio and not Giancarlo (who appears first in the above-mentioned Three Crosses Not to Die sequence).

The sixth Ukmar (Bruno), the fifth Dell’Acqua (?), the fourth Scarchilli (Rodolfo), the third Zamperla (Renato)… Things that drive people mad! :smile:

So he is! Sergio also is one of Domingo’s officers partying, with a couple of nice closeups, in Blindman.[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:232, topic:560”]
The sixth Ukmar (Bruno)
[/quote]
Bruno is credited as master of arms in 3 Musketeers of the West. I think there may be a couple of possibilities amongst the pole hopper gang.

We now have a full picture of the six Ukmar brothers, I have positively identified Bruno checking four movies, 1964 to 1967, in which he’s regularly credited: Maciste, gladiatore di Sparta (pic 3), Le spie amano i fiori (pic 5), Come rubammo… (pics 1 & 2, also with Rodolfo Scarchilli) and Professionisti per un massacro (pic 4).

With Salvatore Borgese in The Spy Who Loved Flowers

1 Like

Whoa! Impressive! At first glance there’s not much of a family resemblance. He has a more mature look, is he the eldest? and I believe this actor has a fairly significant role in 3 Musketeers. Maybe when you start your Black Beard thread, it can be used to expand on this type of research?

Yes, I noticed that, too.

I really think so. As far as I know Sergio, Franco and Giancarlo were born in 1935, 1936 and 1938 respectively, and I remember reading in an old interview with Giancarlo that he worked on Totò a colori (1952) with his older brothers Bruno and Franco.

Other SWs in which Bruno is credited as master of arms are Days of Violence, The Great Silence, Sartana’s Here… Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin and Roy Colt and Winchester Jack.

Yes, that’s a good idea.

Where does one even begin? Anthony Steffen ( Django/Ghost of Django/ Avenger who brings death) gives the darkest, most action packed, ultra violent, and haunting performance of his career. From the opening scene to the final showdown , nowhere is “Django” amusing, or romantic. He never cracks a smile, and shows no concern for making friends or romantic interests. (Perhaps it’s the black hat, black/dark unshaven beard, and nearly all black outfit, or perhaps it’s because “Django” is rarely seen outside amongst to many people at one time.
“Django” is out for revenge against those who betrayed his regiment during the war.( A flashback scene shows us “Django’s” motives) leading to a final showdown. (Quick, to the point, flawless). A wonderful achievement in the macabre, and haunting, both from a visual standpoint, a well as it’s musical score. This film screams vengeance at the top of its lungs. High Recommended.

1 Like

I like your passion about the movie, I must give it another shot. At first I thought it was boring, but I have to admit at that time I had not seen many sw.

Yes, let me try and explain it this way. I found John Carpenter’s Halloween ( The first Halloween film of the Halloween franchise ) a true masterpiece of the horror genre, one I could watch once a every few years or so and it never get’s old. When I finally saw Stranger’s Gundown,( earlier this week) I immediately thought of the Halloween franchise. Heck their is even a scene (Halloween three or four) where some of the townsfolk go looking for Michael, which reminded me of the scene where some of the townsfolk go looking for “Django”. Also, both Myers and Django seem both human yet indestructible at the same time. Now every time I watch a “slasher” flick, I’m sure I’ll think of “the Strangers Gundown” in one way or another. I could only imagine sitting in a theater in 1969 and seeing “The Stranger’s Gundown”. Much like the Halloween franchise ( with the exception of Halloween: season of the witch) I find this type of spaghetti western to never get old, and always be exciting and suspenseful as the first time I saw it.