The Stranger Returns / Un uomo, un cavallo, una pistola (Luigi Vanzi, 1967)

I love the ā€˜Strangerā€™ filmsā€¦

I received the third film, ā€˜The Silent Strangerā€™, on dvd, though the post, yesterday. I would have watched it last night, but was caught up with watching Robert Woods in ā€˜A Colt in the Hands of The Devilā€™, on the Movies-4-Men channel

Regarding ā€˜Coltā€™, a load of crap

Awful dubbing, not a lot of action, and a sub-plot that that would be meaningfulā€¦if it were not meaninglessā€¦

One I need to see in the english dub.

Hopefully you enjoy The Silent Stranger. I personally hold it as one of my favorite movies. Even in itā€™s current altered form I still enjoy it as a fun romp that has some enjoyable scenes. Also, I know I might get some flak for this, but I think it has a little more care put into it than the first two stranger movies, both in the story and the acting.

Just to update what my initial thoughts were, regarding ā€˜A Colt in the Hand of the Devilā€™ā€¦

It could be that the plot appeared to make no sense to me, simply because - I strongly suspect - so much was cut out of the version I watched, on the ā€˜Movies-4-Menā€™ channel. The film did appear to be ā€˜all over the placeā€™ with the editingā€¦

I wouldnā€™t mind seeing a longer version of ā€˜Coltā€™, if there is one availableā€¦I check it out.

Cheers for thatā€¦Iā€™m sure I will, even though the version Iā€™ve just bought, on DVD, from Germany, doesnā€™t appear to have the greatest picture quality in the Worldā€¦ Iā€™m just grateful that I now have a copy! Iā€™ll let you know how I get on with watching itā€¦
I strongly suspect that, I am going to get to the end of the film, having thoroughly enjoyed it, and wonder why ā€˜Colosseoā€™ doesnā€™t release a good, cleaned-up version, as it did with the first two ā€˜Strangerā€™ filmsā€¦?

Chiappa is also credited in Arrivano Django e Sartanaā€¦ ĆØ la fine. Can you share a picture? :slight_smile:

Sure, here is Roberto Chiappa on the right in Occhio alla vedova (a.k.a. Inquietudine, 1975) from the director of Chrysanthemums for a Bunch of Swine Sergio Pastore

and as Gibbo (Anica) in Squadra Antiscippo (1976)

So, one of the many En Plein henchmen in this one. I havenā€™t checked Django and Sartana Are Comingā€¦ Itā€™s the End yet.

1 Like

It must be noted that Custer Gail is always credited as Castrichella and not Castrighella. The first surname is not that uncommon in Lazio, the second extremely rare: so maybe his real name was Mario Castrichella as credited in this one and Amerigo another screen name just as in the case of director Tanio Boccia a.k.a. Amerigo Anton.

Havenā€™t seen this one yet. I didnā€™t like the first (but i love Blindman) so is it worth skipping or is it an improvement with itā€™s seemingly bigger budget?

Iā€™d recommend it, as it is indeed debatably better than the first.

Iā€™ll give it a go then. Cheers mate :slight_smile:

I prefer the first film to the second film, so based on this you may prefer the second film :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are no significant differences in terms of budget. If you have the right expectations (itā€™s not on the same level as Blindman), the movie is worth watching and enjoyable.

I like this one more than the first.

I like the first one slightly more, and Iā€™ll admit itā€™s mainly because of Frank Wolff hamming it up. AKA being a ā€œfair manā€!

1 Like

Same for me. If Kinski would have starred in the second one as planned it would be probably my favorite but I donā€™t like Dan Vadis that much.

I think one of the major problems of the film is that itā€™s clogged up with some unnecessarily long scenes of The Stranger wandering or following somebody. Specifically the scenes with Tony following Raf Baldassarre through the mexican town and the stage coach going around and around and around trying to run over Tony. All the while the same song playing on loop (not that I have a problem with Ciprianiā€™s music, it just wasnā€™t used right in this instance). Iā€™d really like to chop this movie up in a movie editor and see if I canā€™t get it to flow better.

I agree. The Stranger Returns was a pleasant surprise in my first watching. There is a clear ā€œearly-Leoneā€ feeling from the beginning, also emphasized by the fine music by Stelvio Cipriani especially during the first half of the movie.
The somewhat lighthearted end would be my only complaint (except for another too long beating of the anti-hero) but the end was really funny so I accepted that. The Italian locations were familiar.
The Colosseo DVD I bought had a very fine image quality which strengthened my overall impression of this SW directed by Luigi Vanzi.

Overall The Stranger Returns IMO is a little bit better than A Stranger In Town, and I am already prepaired to rate it as very good, 7/10 reaching my own SW Top 30.

2 Likes

After watching it the 4th time in 2.5 months I like it even more now, rendering it a scarce 8/10 rating and a move upwards to rank 13 on my SW Top 50.

The music (Stelvio Cipriani ) sets the mood in the film with sometimes an obvious Leone/Morricone feeling and was very good and frequent, especially in the first half. Some music themes are repeated a lot, but there are some variation in melody, instruments etc. Also classic trumpet.
The flute theme in the beginning (and the rest there) is superb.

The story with its little twists maybe are also somewhat Leone-like as in the two first dollar films, including a hilarious dining scene with Raf Baldassarre.
The main villain played by Dan Vadis has a perfekt face for a bandit leader and was good overall. I think Tony Anthony as the antihero has some similarities with Clint Eastwood in the cool style, lean but a ā€œweakerā€ face and slightly more of a ā€œnice guyā€.
The type of some ā€œcool comedyā€ or little lightheartness here I accept.

8/10

5 My Name Is Nobody (Tonino Valerii)
6 The Big Gundown (Sergio Sollima)
7 Django Kill If You Live Shoot (Giulio Questi)
8 Cemetery Without Crosses (Robert Hossein)
9 Dead Men Ride/At The End Of The Rainbow/Anda Muchacho Spara (Aldo Florio)
10 Requiem For A Gringo/Duel In Eclipse (Eugenio Martƭn, JosƩ Luis Merino)
11 Johnny Juma (Romolo Guerrieri)
12 Kill The Wicked/ God Does Not Pay On Saturday (Tanio Boccia)
13. The Stranger Returns/A Man, A Horse, A Gun (Luigi Vanzi)

7/10 (The two are very near 8/10)

14 Viva Django / Django, Prepare a Coffin (Ferdinando Baldi)
15 The Big Silence/The Great Silence (Sergio Corbuccio)

1 Like

If Kinski had made the role of the villain as originally planned this might be my favorite Stranger film but Dan Vadis doesnā€™t have enough charisma like Frank Wolff had in the first one.

1 Like