The Last Western You Watched?

A DAY OF FURY - Very fine little 50s b-western with nice performances, colorful settings and an interesting plot that doesn’t follow the norm. The film doesn’t have much action, however the character study is quite intelligent and the whole thing doesn’t get boring at all. Even though it’s a short one, it easily makes its point without becoming preachy and that’s a small achievement as far as I’m concerned.

Captain Apache - second view - i enjoyed it a lot more this time around, i was probably not in the right mood first time, because it’s actually quite good movie - the denouement on the train is loveable and funny, but it’s shame they didn’t elaborate more on gunplay aspect of this segment - it deserves a solid shootout with all those scoundrels on board!

I too just watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance this past Saturday. I made my 23 year old nephew watch it as his introduction to John Wayne and my favorite westerns. He was a little bored at first, and wasn’t crazy about it being in black and white but I think he liked it. Especially when I’m on the edge of my seat during that awesome pivotal scene mid-movie with the stand-off between Tom Donaphon and Liberty Valance over the dropped steak. “That’s MY steak Valance. YOU pick it up.” Never fails to send chills down my spine. What a great movie!

1 Like

A Stranger in Town. It’s another take on Yojimbo, but it’s very bleak and quiet.

Grave For A Stranger.

Man comes back for his wife from a time ago, but he is not a good man. This is where the trouble starts as another man falls in love with the woman. Drama based western for the most part, and is basically your run of the mill euro western of the time period.

Made myself a nice little double feature today consisting of Bandolero! and Land Raiders :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also worked in a double bill today, Today We Kill… Tomorrow We Die!, and starring the most recent Hall of Famer: The Black Eagle of Santa Fe.

Help yourself before the Injuns come and drink it all up!

A very weak Eagle, hopefully these two were well-paid for the job

The Black Killer (1971)

Mexican guy (or just a guy who has shoe polish on his face for some reason) has an Arnie moment: “We gat to get dose basteeeeeeeeerds!!!”

(I think we should have a “The last SPAGHETTI western you watched” topic - Yes? No?)

We have the film’s thread for any thoughts on Spagies

1 Like

Yes I know, but I thought this kind of topic would be more dynamic than single movie topic, like this one or “the last movie you watched” are. To add more talk about spaghettis on this forum, we are slightly neglecting them.

I disagree. The whole point of the spaghetti western forum is to discuss certain movies. so once we start dumping all movie talk into one topic, what value does the search or individual topics add? very little. Quite the contrary, if the minute you watched a spaghetti western, you update a specific movie topic with your latest thoughts, you keep the dynamic of the forum going and revive discusions on certain films, etc

Saw that indie flick Yellow Rock. Not a bad little film, but nothing that needs to be seen.

I went back to this movie because some people had told me it was better than I thought it was:

My blu-ray of Slow West (MacLean, 2015) arrived yesterday so I gave it another look today. Liked it better than I did the first time out, and I liked it pretty well back then. It really is a stunningly beautiful picture, and it comes as little surprise to find that it was filmed in “Middle Earth” itself - New Zealand. I didn’t realise however that writer/director John MacLean is a former member of Scottish indie folk noodlers The Beta Band.

Watching His Name is King right now, better than I remember. Saw RIO CONCHOS yesterday with Richard Boone and Jim Brown! Fuckin great movie!

Red Headed Stranger (1986)
-This is sort of a little hidden gem, at least I had never heard about this western with Willie Nelson before until few days ago when a friend told about it in fb. Nelson plays a preacher who tries to help a little town which is being controlled by a family who owns the water supply of the region but after some tragic events he turns into a outlaw gunfighter. Nelson is supported by R.G. Armstrong and they make a good team. Worth checking.

I wrote an article about it a while ago:

2 Likes

Keoma - singing aside this is a good spaghetti. Clearly inspired by the wild bunch with slow motion. Also like Castellari’s use of flashbacks in live action so we see keoma’s memories through his own eyes as he remembers events with his brothers.

1 Like

Yeah, singing aside - well-said :wink: