The Last Western You Watched?

True, but that’s no explanation for why it never came to theaters in the first place. All the buzz around Hateful Eight in December could have led to people going to see it, to coincide with the US theatrical launch, and then they could have still done the home video launch at the end of January

Of course, but it seems it has not much of a commercial potential.
And for those films sometimes it is simply coincidental which will get a release and which not.

And westerns are still not popular for a broad moviegoer audience.
Apart from Django Unchained most if not all were here in Germany in the last 20 years far less successful than in the USA. But that one was a Tarantino, and maybe for that not typical to have an impact on the genre as a whole.

Bone Tomahawk wasn’t released overhere either, nor was Slow West; I’ll have to pick them up on DVD

I don’t think, btw, that the western is really on its way back. Tarantino is Tarantino and most people don’t watch his movies because they’re westerns, but because they’re Tarantinos.

I watched Bone Tomahawk with 2 other people in the theater (one was with me). But Slow West is on repertoire now. It doesn’t have 20 shows per day like Star Wars, but it is on the menu.

Scherp, you are missing the point, it is not just Tarantino, it is also Inarritu (arguably hottest director in the world right now) and all these other quite serious attempts in western genre that are happening around same time.

My thoughts exactly…

Yes, but I was referring to the success of Django Unchained and possible success of The Hateful Eight: I think it’s the name Tarantino that is responsible for the box-office results, not the quality of the movies.

Let’s see if The Revenant does that well.

At least there were a few westerns which had some success, and at least there are constantly a few which are made and which are also interesting, but commercially the western is still a slightly dead genre.

Something like a little bit pregnant?

If The Revenant would become a smash hit, we’d probably have another story, but I don’t think it will be one.
Some will want to see it because Inarritu directed it, but he’s not an audience magnet like Tarantino.

Something like that, yes

Honestly I think western is the only gnere we’re talking about, but todays films are divided in Blockbusters, wanna be blockbusters box-office flops striaght to vídeo/dvd/tv or Indie films (and non english language films).

Star wars is not science-fiction is a blockbusters, since Jaws and the first Star Wars that genre dissapeared, there’s a target public,

Gladly tehre’s still some iconic directors like Tarantino and others, but a run of the mlil production of westerns is not going to happen.

Dollar For The Dead.

Treasure hunt begins for gold by finding a group of gun holsters that form a map. But yes you guessed it things do not go simple. Which provides the film to be a not bad homage to the Spaghetti Western genre, with lots of ideas from the last two Tony Anthony westerns. Which comes no surprise then that the film was produced by Tony Anthony, and he even chooses a not a very tall leading man…fancy that. Alot better when I first viewed when the film was released, has its faults like a T.V look at times and the designer stubles, but an enjoyable ride.

El Dorado (1967)

Not my cup of tea. I was not that crazy about Rio Bravo in the first place and this is practically the same movie (even more so than Rio Lobo).

Waiting for The Revenant to be released in Belgium (27/01), I rewatched MAN IN THE WILDERNESS, like the upcoming movie based on some events in the life of mountain man Hugh Glass. It wasn’t prefect, but it was better than I remembered:

I saw The Revenant yesterday. Beautifully shot, great soundtrack, gripping story and characters, very suspenseful and extremely violent. It is quite an ordeal Glass went through. It’s a ‘tour de force’ but it doesn’t get boring or tedious, it was entertaining. A great movie

Just got out of Meek’s Cutoff. Minimalistic, weirdly 1.33:1-shot with an open ending. Somewhat underwhelming, but nevertheless interesting.

I like Man in the Wilderness. I can’t wait to see The Revenant.

Yes, Meek’s Cutoff felt to me - as I was watching it - like a movie aiming for slow-burning, ratcheting tension but frequently missing its beats and coming across as laborious and uninvolving instead. But it seemed to work its magic after the event, because I found myself contemplating what I’d seen for days afterwards

I enjoyed Meek’s Cutoff when I saw it. Particularly remember thinking I should have watched it with the wife. She would have definitely approved.

Allegheny Uprising (1939) aka The First Rebel

In the first movie John Wayne made after Stagecoach (set in Colonial America), Indians are nameless savages that only attack, kidnap and massacre children, British are either arrogant and ignorant authorities or dirty, scheming scoundrels, while our born-American heroes are upright virtuous men among whom is a drunk with a “funny” Scottish accent, who merrily brags how many Indians he has killed and at one point pleads Wayne to allow him to kill a captured Indian because he will get depressed if he doesn’t get to his norm of 20 killed Indians per day. Only female charecter is annoying juvenile tomboy who at the end proudly declares “I will follow my man!” in way that will make every feminist shudder. Rebels of course never shoot a white man despite this being “uprising”. At the end of the movie their leader pleads them to refrain from breaking the law, because they have never done that, despite us witnessing them killing one binded prisoner and mob-lynching the other. Dated in every way. Wayne was good and charismatic in the lead.