The Last Western You Watched?

Novemgeance sounds okay, but I’d go for Novengeance 2015

‘Bone Tomahawk’ (2015)
-Kurt Russell

Plot: Rotten Tomatoes

In the Old West, a sheriff (Kurt Russell), his deputy (Richard Jenkins), a gunslinger (Matthew Fox),and a cowboy (Patrick Wilson) embark on a mission to rescue three people from a savage group of cave dwellers.

Phantom’s Review: This is a wonderful movie, but it’s definitely NOT for everyone. This is a slow burn, dialogue driven character piece. The action is all but non existent, and the horror aspects only happen towards the end. Instead you get a superbly acted movie with some of the best written dialogue that I have ever heard. In fact , there’s barely even music. Kurt Russell is excellent as always, but to honest the whole cast is great… If you want an action packed, blood soaked western , then look somewhere else. If you want to enjoy some great acting, then try to catch ‘Bone Tomahawk’

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:5318, topic:141”]Secchi: Panhandle Calibre 38[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/...e_alla_fine_lo_chiamarono_Jerusalem_l’implacabile[/url] (dvd-r)
-Awful comedy western[/quote]

Yes not the best western comedy. A very silly film and guess I was in the mood for a silly one this evening, as time went fast. Some very corny lines in the film !

BONE TOMAHAWK - Something like CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST in the old West. Pretty good although a bit slow moving at times, but the dialogue is also good so it doesn’t need a lot of action to keep you interested. The last half hour is definitely the most interesting and gruesome part of the film. Btw, the opening scene pays a small tribute to MISSOURI BREAKS… All in all, two hours well spent as far as I’m concerned.

DAN CANDY’S LAW - Opened a bag of popcorn when the film started and switched it off when I emptied the bag. The whole thing was simply pathetic and the butchered print I had in my hands made it all even worse. Seeing Donald Sutherland in the leading role was just embarrassing and, no, he doesn’t save the film at all. I usually manage to finish most of the bad non-italian westerns I watch, so I guess this one must be among the worst I’ve ever seen.

Yes did not manage to make it through that one either. Such a crap film :D…did know one not think it when it was being made…

I am a fan of Sutherland, but I couldn’t finish that either, so I watched Bear Island ;D.

Anyway, I’ve just finished watching Comes A Horseman, with James Caan, and Jason Robards as a great villain. Some nice fights and shootings, including one horrific stunt that killed the man doing it (being pulled by a horse and smashing his head on a fence), but part of the footage got into the film. Jane Fonda is the love interest, and Caan does a good job as a gruff anti-hero. One of those 70’s westerns like Culpepper Cattle Co(I suggest this one too) that shows western stories intertwined with doses of very savage violence (Makes the 50’s and 60’s westerns look like saints ;)). Only difference is Culpepper was very, very squibby and a high body count. Anyway, some great locations and a decent script helped this along too.

7.5 out of 10.

[quote=“Farmer_J, post:11849, topic:141”]I am a fan of Sutherland, but I couldn’t finish that either, so I watched Bear Island ;D.

Anyway, I’ve just finished watching Comes A Horseman, with James Caan, and Jason Robards as a great villain. Some nice fights and shootings, including one horrific stunt that killed the man doing it (being pulled by a horse and smashing his head on a fence), but part of the footage got into the film. Jane Fonda is the love interest, and Caan does a good job as a gruff anti-hero. One of those 70’s westerns like Culpepper Cattle Co(I suggest this one too) that shows western stories intertwined with doses of very savage violence (Makes the 50’s and 60’s westerns look like saints ;)). Only difference is Culpepper was very, very squibby and a high body count. Anyway, some great locations and a decent script helped this along too.

7.5 out of 10.[/quote]

I usually don’t have a problem with slow-moving westerns, as long as there’s enough atmosphere and background story to compensate the slowness. I must confess that this movie felt like a real endurance test to me. Some good scenes yes (didn’t know about that stuntman being killed) and some good performances (especially by Caan) but on the whole a dissapointing movie for me.

I did think that some of the scenes dragged and were never going to end while I was watching.
As for the stunt, they kept the footage of the accident in the film, but cut it right before his head hit the fence apparently, its pretty grim stuff.

Comes a Horseman is not bad, it actually is a nice film, but it should have been so much better with that cast and that director. But the story is already a bit half-baked .6/10

Can’t keep up with folks at SpagvemberFest, but this month is Nowestern for me too. This is what I’ve seen so far:

Stage to Tuscon (1950)
Okay B western, background story concentrated on activities (spies, interest groups) just before Civil War. Nothing to do with that other Stage(coach), that one was to Lordsburg.

The Man From Colorado (1948)
Psychological western with Glenn Ford and William Holden that tells the story how power can be dangerous even in the hands of heroes (kind of “Who watches the Watchmen?” thing). Glenn Ford is cra-zee, but I guess you guess that from the look at this hair.

Saddle Tramp (1950)
Nice family western with Joel McCrea.

Rage at Dawn (1955)
In this story about Reno brothers (“first train robbers” as the movies states) politicians are as dirty as they get in any Spag, and ending is very bleak, but our hero (Randolph Scott) is still no anti-hero and gets to ride of with a girl against all odds.

A Pistol for Ringo (1965)
A rewatch. Still Top 20.

Reprisal! (1956)
Very good anti-racist B western with familiar Spag-star Guy Hamilton and good supporting cast. Stylish shots and not so superficial message.

Fort Massacre (1958)
I bet Peckinpah liked this one. Maybe even Corbucci. Joel McCrea leads his lost patrol down the hopeless spiral of doom and madness. Finale at the ruins of ancient fortress is especially strong and gritty.

The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)
Professionally done, but nothing particularly special about it, just The Duke kicking asses.

The Salvation

Well, i was disappointed. While first 20-30 mins are intriguing, then, as the story moves forward, it just turns out to be a hacneyed venture for me. Yes, it is visually striking (at least, most of the time), and Mads isn’t bad at all, but it somehow falls flat for me. Finale is a total bore, it has no energy within, the whole movie seemed to me a little sleepy.
Can’t they set on fire a barn like in the old days. Just with real fire, not with that CGI bullshit.

Seven Men from Now (1956)

To call Budd Boetticher ‘poor man’s John Ford’ would be unfair to this fine and well respected among western aficionados director, who constantly managed to elevate his movies to something else than run-of-the-mill b-westerns they looked like on paper. In 78 minutes of this movie he manages to pack a whole lot and demonstrates real understanding for storytelling and elements that make a great story (written by Burt Kennedy). There is tension, mystery, vengeance, twists and lots of lots of stylish and beautiful outdoor shots. Lee Marvin as a dark horse of the movie (story) was great touch to spice things up. Only complaint is too much of macho patriarch philosophy that comes to fort every now and then - if only HE decided to follow HER at the end, we could erase that complaint too.

The last one I watched was Shark River. I’m not sure whether it’s a western exactly. It’s more of a “Florida western.” It could have been a lot better.

I never heard anyone saying that. Doesn’t make any sense to me as Boetticher’s westerns are very different form the one’s Ford made.

Sense for storytelling and outdoor location can be compared to Ford’s. But obviously, Ford was always working with a-movie budget and Bud with b-movie budget, thus ‘poor man’s Ford’ (that I came up with).

The term “poor man’s something” is used by me for works which are a cheap copy of original works, but cheap here not referring to the budget but to the ideas, or better the lack of ideas. At least that’s how I use the term.

But anyway, a sense for storytelling and outdoor location is something I find by a lot of western directors, and I never compared those 2 directors for that. But it is an interesting notion, and will think about it.

Culpepper Cattle Company is fantastic. Haven’t seen Comes a Horseman yet.

I just finished watching Fire Power. It was advertised as a “tough, brutal western” on the front cover. It turned out to be a comedy western. It was pretty ridiculous but it wasn’t all bad.

The “con” pre cert cover syndrome :wink: