The Last Western You Watched?

I’ve been looking for the UK pre-cert VHS for my collection. Where did you watch it?

The only western by Bava I haven’t reviewed yet. Some work to do.

An enjoyable one for me but it felt too rushed at the end. I gave my opinion here: http://forum.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/topic,1346.msg176762.html#msg176762

Caiano: Duel at Rio the Grande[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Segno_di_Zorro,_Il[/url]
-Also known as Sign of Zorro but it isn’t really a Zorro film, there’s only one scene where hero wears a mask and in one scene the Z-sign is carved to the wall which is weird because it doesn’t really make any sense when there’s no-one called Zorro in the film. But the film is more swashbuckling genre than western, fights are done with swords instead of a guns.

Vogeler: Valley of the Widows[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Valle_de_las_viudas,_El[/url]
-Group of ex-soldiers return from war to their home town but have trouble adapting the peace time life and they keep fighting with the women. I wonder what was the idea behind the film, it’s not a funny film but it can’t be taken seriously either with it’s silly approach. There’s some good actors like Fajardo in it but otherwise not a recommedable film.

Only another couple of weeks to go and, just like last year, I’m bridging the cap 'twixt my self-imposed 31 DAYS of HALLOWEEN October challenge and my 31 DAYS of CHRISTMAS Decemberfest with a 30-day Spag marathon in November, which ran without a catchy title last year but which for 2015 I’m thinking of naming either THE BIG BOLOGNESE, NOVEMBER’S SPAGTASTIC WESTFEST or perhaps simply HORSEYTHON '15. I’m undecided (and open to suggestions, if any of you are drunk enough to fancy a stab at it). Last year it was a mixture of films I felt were due a re-watch and movies I’d not yet seen. This year, the criteria is far simpler: It’ll be my top 30 spags, viewed in ascending order. Or, hang on: Is it descending order? What’s the one that would go from 30 to 1? That one.

Anyway, if anyone else fancies blithely ignoring the ceaseless adverts for one unnecessary sh*tbum Christmas trinket after another by way of closing the curtains, commandeering the closest liquor bottle to hand and settling down each day to the Italian-made “Shooty-Beauty” (ie “Western”; I invented the term a while ago, I want to try and get it to take) of your choice… well, there’s a space for you on the cuddle sofa right next to me at casa.caress right through November, amigos! By which of course I mean: Please feel free to join me on my Spag odyssey but watch them on your own bloody couches, you dirty seatsniffers. If you want to augment your fun by imagining how great it would be to be sat there with me that’ll be fine, but keep your fantasies north of the border, gents. I don’t do that “other” stuff anymore. Not for free, anyways.

I’ll snuggle up on the couch with you, LC. But I get to hold the remote (not a euphemism) and you have to get up to answer the door to any pesky double glazing salesmen. Actually, I’ve been thinking of revisiting my top 20 for a while now to see if the order will change at all so my top 30 in November will work perfectly. There’s some of these films I haven’t watched in quite a while so it will be nice to revisit them. To be honest I have found myself concentrating too much effort on catching up on bottom of the barrel spags I haven’t seen yet rather than enjoying the great ones which made me a fan in the first place. Include me in.

Oh, and my lame suggestions for a title, in honour of your devotion to WWF are:

Westernmania
King of the Ringo
and
Spaghetti Smackdown

1 Like

I just watched Machismo: 40 Graves for 40 Guns. I thought it was pretty entertaining. :slight_smile:

Shove up Phil and pass the popcorn Sir Caress, can you make space on your spaghettaphorical sofa for another sinner, for 'tas been 3 years since I last updated my Top 20? And probably 3 years since I last watched any of them, like Phil having been more concerned with them bottomy-barrel ones as well.

I’ve dug out my last Top 20 and picked another 10 spags that may rattle and usurp - so I’m set for whatever you end up calling it? :wink:

Anyway, it’ll give Stanton summat to do besides picking a sexy xmas avatar… :wink:

1 Like

But that’s all I’m able to.

And don’t ignore OUTW again for inscrutable reasons. Otherwise the bolt of the Lord may struck you while you empty your bowels …

:stuck_out_tongue:
Sorry Stanton, but it ain’t even made the shortlist. And neither has GBU…
… besides anything else, if I’m committing to a film a day, anything too long-winded don’t stand a chance. :wink:

Haven’t you said once that OUTW is one of the best, only that you don’t view it as a real Spag?

(Wrong answer might activate the bolt thingy)

[quote=“Stanton, post:11834, topic:141”]Haven’t you said once that OUTW is one of the best, only that you don’t view it as a real Spag?

(Wrong answer might activate the bolt thingy)[/quote]

Yeah, you’ve been trying to persuade me for 6, 7 years or more that I should include it :wink: … but the best I can say is that the film is so good, and so grand, that it seems to trancend the genre.
It’s one of the best films ever made, but it has conceits that project it beyond spagdom imo. Yeah - I know that technically it is one - but I have been able to live with my inconsistencies… and it stays out.

Of course, my controversial ramblings were buried 3 years back on the Top 20 thread, and now I’ll be subjected to hate-mail all over again now that you’ve made me show my hand again here. How could you do this to me Stanton? Can a man not find forgiveness and understanding in these, his twilight years?

The answer to that question is:

[size=36pt]No ![/size]

It’s a Western spaghetti in it’s purest form

No forgiveness
No redemption
Only revenge

Count me in for Westernovembermania. Off course, like with Horroktoberfest, I’ll cheat. I probably won’t watch western per day, I’ll watch other movies too, and I won’t watch Spaghettis alone, I’ll watch any type of westerns. I’ll use this idea as a perfect excuse to watch some westerns that been lying around waiting for their turn.

Here’s what I got on list so far:

• A Man Called Horse 1970
  • Chisolm 1970
  • Comancheros 1961
  • Hobre 1967
  • How The West Was Won 1962
  • McLintock 1963
  • Ride With The Devil 1999
  • Texas Rangers 2001
  • The Beguiled 1971
  • The Big Country 1958
  • The Cowboy 1972
  • 3:10 to Yuma 1957
  • Stage to Tuscon 1950
  • A pistol for Ringo 1965
  • The Man from Colorado 1948
  • Light the Fuse… Sartana is Coming 1971
  • Saddle Tramp 1950
  • Rage at Dawn 1955
  • Fort Massacre 1958
  • Dollars trilogy

Some rewatches, most first time seeing.

Gariazzo: Drummer of Vengeance[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Giorno_del_giudizio,_Il[/url]
I watched this one again, watched it in few parts and kept falling asleep once in a while. Nevertheless I think it ain’t so bad, I actually liked it quite a lot. There’s this dark atmosphere and some nice scenes. Morricone’s score is recycled from Hellbenders but works well here too.

Bone Tomahawk.

Not what I was expecting this western and after viewing so many euro westerns recently aswell. Its a long film which took me a while to get into, but I hung with it as I do like Kurt Russell. Film has a few surprises and not to sure what I think about the film, which is good for me as there are plently of ideas swimming around in this film. One to view again down the line.

Watched Killer Kid and Arizona Colt/TMFN yesterday in preparation for checking out some of the films I’ve previously given decent marks for, and could potentially niggle my Top 20/30 when being reassessed during Sir Caress’s November bash. (Have ya decided what it’s gonna be called yet Sir?) :slight_smile:

I don’t think either of thes will trouble the top flighters, and in fact one has rather disappointed this time around… I’ll explain more on their respected threads.

Yep. I almost plumped for the deliberately unwieldy “His Name Was November But They Called Him SpagFest”, and I really wanted “30 Spags of 'Vem-geance” or “30 Spags of November-geance” or something, but I couldn’t quite get that “November/Vengeance” thing to sit right. So, I’m keeping the generic title very simple - SpagvemberFest 2015 - leaving it free for a bit of subtitleage as the theme for that year (if there is one) dictates. I’m going with a top 30 this year so: SpagvemberFest 2015: The Big Rundown. See what I’ve done there? Because “Big Rundown”, well, that’s what we’re doing, a big rundown of our favourite spags, but also - and here’s the clever part - “The Big Rundown” sounds a bit like The Big Gundown. See? Yeah. You won’t catch me with my trousers.

“Horseython” was another frontrunner, but I’ve decided to mothball that title for a later as-yet-undefined generic western movie challenge at some other point. Maybe an all-western top 20 watched over the three days of a bank holiday or something? I dunno.