The Last Western You Watched?

And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave 3,5/5
Degueyo 3/5
Los Amigos 3/5
Carambola 1,5/5

One Little Indian.

Army deserter played by James Garner teams up with a homeless Indian boy. Not much violence in this one for a 70’s one as its a Walt Disney film. Not my usual choice of film, but one Garner western I had not seen before. The star looks like he has been eating a few to many pork pies in this one. A couple of camels also star which is about one of the more quirky elements of the film. And Jerry Goldsmith produces a very old school type of score.

[size=12pt]FORT MASSACRE (1958)[/size]

Although it’s a minor production, shot on a reduced budget, this is one of the better ‘Indian westerns’ from the Fifties. It tells the familiar story of a small group of survivors who must try to get back to their outpost after an Indian attack. But if the premise is familiar, the execution is thoughtful and uncommon. READ MORE HERE:[size=12pt] http://westernsontheblog.blogspot.be/2015/05/fort-massacre-1958.html[/size]

Hour of the Gun (1967)

Where has this western been all my life?

Blueprint for Kasdan/Costner’s Wyatt Earp, although not that epic in the scope of the story and some of the very important characters are left out (that is, the women), but it does include some interesting elements that are missing even from that movie (the trial). Although at the begging it states very seriously that it is based on fact, that promise is broken in the film’s finale, but it is nevertheless for the most of the runtime, realistic, somber, grown-up depiction of one of the most important tales of the West.

[size=10pt]Slow West (2015) by John Maclean[/size]

Watched this via a good quality webrip, didn’t expect it to be available this soon, but hey…i’m not not complaining. :slight_smile:
Anyways, Slow West is not what i expected and it’s short too, only 84 min. long. :o Heh…the film itself is a slow affair, but well paced with beautifully shot landscape. ([i]Kodi Smit) the young boy on his quest to find the girl that he loves and (Fassbender) as the mysterious gunman are ok in this IMO. Also, the music score is good but it’s repeated throughout the film. A good effort, but would’ve like if it was longer and to have seen a barroom brawl though. :smiley:

[size=12pt] SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF (1969)[/size]

I had watched it before, once, long time ago, and remembered it as a so so movie, not too bad, but not good either.
Man, I was wrong: it’s one of the best comedy westerns in history, a real delight

[b][size=12pt]http://westernsontheblog.blogspot.be/2015/05/support-your-local-sheriff.html[/size][/b]

The sequel is the so so film. This one is really a delight. Director Kennedy’s best western.

Probably. I thought the sequel was the better of the two, might have mixed things up. Or I saw this at the wrong moment.

Support Your Local Sheriff AND Support Your Local Gunfighter are both presently available on Netflix, for those of us in the UK. I wasn’t going to give them a second glance tbh but, off of Scherp’s big thumbs-up, I’ll be finding space for them over the weekend; A nice Sunday Western double-bill, I think.

I remember a while ago… http://forum.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/topic,132.msg128777.html#msg128777

Yes, me too. I remembered we had discussed them before. But obviously I was wrong (haven’t rewatched Gunfighter yet)

OH, THE HORROR!! THE HORROR!!

Got to agree with Stanton on this - support your local Sheriff is the better of the two films. It’s just funnier across the board. Having Walter Brennan and Bruce Dern in the cast as some of the villains doesn’t hurt either.

Lot of the same cast members in the sequel and I think they don’t put as much effort in as they did with the first one.

Need to get this one out to watch with the kids this weekend!

Iquino: 5 Dollars for Ringo[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Cinco_pistolas_de_Texas[/url]
-Spanish western from 66 which still feels more like those pre-fistful westerns. The hero itself is little bit more tough guy than usual but he is still the law abiding sheriff. Then there’s the usual routine of characters, corrupt mayor, good girl and a bad girl, undertaker providing comic relief and a bunch of unmemorable bandits. Maria Pia Conte looked stunning, I wish her part would have been bigger.

My rating: 4/10

Not the greatest western starring William Holden and/or Richard Widmark, but if you manage to stay awake, it has a decent finale:

[size=12pt]http://westernsontheblog.blogspot.be/2015/06/alvarez-kelly.html[/size]

Rider of the Skulls
-Mexican horror western from mid 60’s with three episodes. Rider of the Skulls is mask wearing hero who has sworn to fight against evil and faces were-wolf, vampire and headless rider together with wimpy sidekick and his adopted kid. It’s very cheaply made film but has some certain charm. There’s rubber bats, bad monster costumes and masks. Like said it has 3 episodes and there’s even change in hero’s outfit between them and complete change of character as the kid from the first episode suddenly disappears and is replaced with another. First episode makes it look like it’s set in sometime during late 1800’s but last episode suddenly has a car. Bad film but a funny one, can’t say that I wasn’t entertained.

Blindman
-Worked well with few like-minded friends and few beers. “They don’t make 'em like this anymore”

As I Lay Dying
-Not 100% western I think but close enough. Directed by James Franco and based on novel by Faulkner this is a dark film about family who take a long journey to bury the dead mother. The beginning of the film is made with constant split-screen, I usually hate this but here it didn’t really bother me but it didn’t bring anything of value either. Good one, maybe little too artistic for mainstream audience.

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:11758, topic:141”]As I Lay Dying
-Not 100% western I think but close enough. Directed by James Franco and based on novel by Faulkner this is a dark film about family who take a long journey to bury the dead mother. The beginning of the film is made with constant split-screen, I usually hate this but here it didn’t really bother me but it didn’t bring anything of value either. Good one, maybe little too artistic for mainstream audience.[/quote]

Haven’t seen the movie but I read the novel. Pretty dark as well.

Haven’t read the novel but friend mentioned it’s told from from multiple person’s point of view, maybe that’s what they tried to do with split screens.