The Last Western You Watched?

I can’t say how many times I watched it.

i’ve seen For A Few Dollars More probably few times more than the other two, which is kinda strange, because it’s my least favorite Leone

Not seen the film in years, but remember it like yesterday though.

The Oklahoma Kid, 1939… with James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart… was a very good film until the ‘land rush’ scene, where Bogart’s gang cheats and stakes-out a claim ahead of everybody. The claim becomes ‘Tulsa’… and Bogart is automatically the boss of the entire town. That’s too big of a reality leap. Then the rest of the plot is about controlling the town. Cagney becomes less convincing and more predictable. 6-out-of-10.

MAN WITHOUT A STAR - The film switches its mood from funny to serious all the time and this doesn’t work very well at all. Without Douglas in the lead I doubt if I would have finished it.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:11645, topic:141”]

[size=12pt]SHOWDOWN[/size] (1973, George Seaton)

A western telling the familiar story of two friends ending up on different sides of the law. It was the last western for both Dean Martin and Rock Hudson and the only time they appeared together in a movie.

Read more here:

[size=12pt]http://westernsontheblog.blogspot.be/2015/02/showdown-1973.html[/size][/quote]

The review covered quite accurately the film. Got to add that 1. It’s less gritty and without the revisionistic tendencies of most of US westerns from the 70s 2. The score has some flaws as it sometimes doesn’t fit the general serious -or even elegiac- mood of the movie.

Comanche Station
Ride Lonesome
Two Mules For Sister Sara
Ulzana
Wyatt Earp

La resa dei conti (The Big Gundown) on the big screen in a public cinema and Cipolla Colt at home. :smiley:

Nice. Nothing beats seeing sw from real film on big screen. Only seen few myself, I hope to see some Sollima in future.

The White Buffalo.

Mr. Bronson plays a man who has a mission to kill a buffalo, and he is pretty obsessed about it to say the least. Forgot what a fine selection of character actors are in this from Slim Pickens to Jack Warden. The score by John Barry is just lush and reminds me what we are missing sometimes today in this department. The Buffalo scenes are not the best, but the build up and tension make up for that. The French dvd has less grain in the picture than the U.S dvd.

" A Million Ways To Die In The West" (2014)
-Seth McFarland
Plot: IMDB
As a cowardly farmer begins to fall for the mysterious new woman in town, he must put his new-found courage to the test when her husband, a notorious gun-slinger, announces his arrival.

Phantom’s Review: Crude, foul mouthed and very R rated. It’s not a bad movie, it has a couple of very funny moments but almost all of the jokes deal with sex, and bowel movements and that gets old after awhile. My one bit of praise for the film is, it’s beautifully filmed. I don’t know if director Seth McFarland is a western fan or he went out and watched all of John Ford’s movies, but either way he got the look of the film right.

Killc them all and come back alone (1968) Enzo G. Castellari
and
The grand duel (1972) Giancarlo Santi.

Ben and Charlie (1972) :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Ben_and_Charlie_Review

:smiley:

Silverado - 1985 - Lawrence Kasdan

[url]Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos
That SW moment

Never paid much attention to Kasdan work, his first two films came out when I was a young teen, and couldn’t really understand them especially The Big Chill, and never came back for those ones.

Silverado I’ve seen it before several times, always found it fun to watch but never really gave it too much consideration. This time however the feeling was different for the better, maybe because in the meantime since the last view, I’ve seen so many different westerns.

From what I’ve read Kasdan always liked westerns and really wanted to direct one, so when he had the chance to direct one, he made all the homages he could make in just one film, from Ford to Hawks with Leone in the middle, it’s all there.
And that was the main reason I didn’t like the film that much (apart from the fun factor), it looked like a mishmashes of sorts with comedy moments mixed with real dramatic ones, no cohesion and an all lot of characters.
But this time was different, the all homage thing really took over as the main aspect in the film, alongside with the good stuff that was already there, mostly the actors, Glenn and Kline are really good, Kline dialogues with Linda Hurt (great actress) are very well done, Brian Dennehy is a perfect villain, and there’s an all line of different characters like played very well like by Glover and Kostner for instance. Even John Cleese as the sherif didn’t look that much awkward.
Silverado is a good western movie, it come out at the same time as Pale Rider and both films were important for a moribund genre at in that period. Funny enough like Pale Rider it wasn’t a great box office success, but was the first big hit in the video rentals, and the film the really quick started that business in the US.
Not really a classic film in the sense that classic means greater achievement, but an important film nevertheless, good score by the way.

El Chuncho, quién sabe? (English dubbed) :smiley:

The english subtitle that I downloaded, didn’t match with the film!!! :o

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Quien_Sabe

Watched Matalo for the first time and was dissapointed. I dont get it.Guess I was expecting more. Kind of a novelty I suppose, Reminded me of Four of the Apocalypse. 2/5

Try Kill the Wickeds! (Boccia, 1967). Same film but nowhere near as psychedelic/hippified, and marginally better for it, imho (I say “marginally” because I like Matalo!, you may well find Kill the Wickeds! to be a LOT better).

Anyway, today I gave the Spags a swerve and looked to a hunka hunka burnin’ love for my Sunday Western fix: Flaming Star (Siegel, 1960), starring The King himself in what’s said by many to be his greatest film role. Not having seen ALL of Elvis’ movies I can’t say for certain if that’s the case, but I’ve seen enough to believe that it might well be. There’s quite a lot of “Heapum Big Chief” dialogue going on but, past that, this is a decent film, having a decent stab at a race relations tale. Only two songs - one, the theme tune at the opening credits, the other coming five minutes into the movie - leaves Elvis free to bust out his acting chops and, with Don Siegel overseeing everything, he does so with some skill.

A good “Sunday” movie.

THE BALLAD OF LITTLE JO - OK drama, a bit uneasy to watch almost the whole film a woman pretending to be a man in order to survive life on the frontier. Disappointed a little bit by the ending as I expected something more belligerent.

FORT DOBBS - A pleasant surprise. Very nice score, great locations and a few plot twists that keep your interest on a good level throughout the film. Clint Walker can’t act a helluva lot, but he fits quite well his role.

THE TRAIN ROBBERS - With a more grim approach, I would rank it much higher. Some wonderful shots in the desert in this one. If only some of the other characters would be given more screen time, I think I had enough of Duke being the center of the universe and “bullying his way through everything”.

Revisited Michael Winner’s first Hollywood western, LAWMAN (1971).
Never knew what to make of it and still not sure.

A very interesting film, but also a confusing one, combining American and European influences:

[size=12pt]http://westernsontheblog.blogspot.be/2015/04/lawman-1971.html[/size]

One I am due to revisit soon, and one I have always enjoyed.