The Last Movie You Watched?

im going to watch Hard Target next, I remember seeing it a long time ago and liking it. For some reason I completely forgot about it so thanks.

Jess Franco: Faceless (1987)
-Francoā€™s version of the classic Eyes Without Face (Les yeux sans visage) with a bit of nudity and sexual perversions and some gory violence in the style of Lucio Fulci. Good film but itā€™s missing the ā€œJess Franco touchā€ regarding the atmosphere and style. This might make the film more acceptable to regular horror fans but personally I prefer the artistic ones like Venus in Furs, Vampyros Lesbos etc. Cast is good including Helmut Berger and Telly Savalas. Worst part of the film is music, usually Franco has good dreamlike and jazzy soundtracks but here we have a terrible 80ā€™s pop music.

And more Franco: Midnight Party (1976)
-Film for the Lina Romay fans (well Iā€™m definitely one). Lina stars as a stripper/prostitute in this erotic comedy/agent film. Film doesnā€™t take it itself too seriously, Lina keeps commenting to camera/audience whatā€™s going on and even Jess (who plays one of the agents) does the same in the final scene saying ā€œIā€™m just an actorā€. Plot is very loose and serves only as a vehicle to see Lina having sex with multiple people (some scenes in the border of hardcore) and once in a while she is wriggling in the bed wearing only stockings and suspenders and showing her shaved pussy and hosting the film. 8)

:o blimey!

seconded

Are you sure it hasnā€™t just been CGIā€™d out?!? :o

Also starring in
Rolls Royce Baby (1975)
Shining Sex (1977) -One of the best Franco films btw.

Not in the original print. Still stop-motion techniques in those days, btw

Jess Franco: The Awful dr. Orlof (1962)
-Francoā€™s first big hit which also follows the Eyes Without Face plot but has loads of other ingredients thrown in like Jack the Ripper style serial killer hunt, Frankenstein monster and a bit of eroticism which all blends into a beautiful looking gothic horror film. Recommended watching to any horror fan, even those who donā€™t usually like Jess Franco should enjoy this one.

The choirmistress and myself just had a night in with a bit of rape, revenge, and ultra-violence 1970s poliziotteshi-stylee with The Big Racket starring Fabio Testi.
He does his own stunt in this where you see him rolling in a car (from inside it with him). Thereā€™s broken glass everywhere and there is a genuine look of ā€œshit! I donā€™t think this is a good idea after allā€ on his face. However - it is a very good idea from a punters viewpoint - and it is a very good film.
It starts with a bunch of low-life scum who have risen through the ranks and find themselves in an altogether bigger league now, and out to prove they are as mean as they comeā€¦ which is pretty mean I can tell ya.
Fabio (Inspector Palmieri) finds that he ainā€™t going nowhere following the legal route, so when push comes to shove (and heā€™s shoved) he puts together a seriously unbalanced rag-tag team of folk who have a grievence with the bad boys (and girl). Together, they plan a surprise for the mafioso-types and their small army.
Fabulously bloody fun.
The choirmistress loves these types, (as well as a good giallo to boot) - so Iā€™ve lined a few up.
Weā€™ve got Heroin Busters and Street Law still to see, as I got these on one of those Blue Underground Midnight Movies triple feature - good value indeed for a poorly octopus (sick squid). :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œReverend Danite, post:12352, topic:1923ā€]The choirmistress loves these types, (as well as a good giallo to boot) - so Iā€™ve lined a few up.
Weā€™ve got Heroin Busters and Street Law still to see, as I got these on one of those Blue Underground Midnight Movies triple feature - good value indeed for a poorly octopus (sick squid). :)[/quote]
Pick Street Law, itā€™s much better than Heroin Busters which is basically and regrettably a pretty mediocre effort in Castellariā€™s oeuvre, IMHO, although you may find it more interesting than I did (I thought it was a hugely disappointing and featureless piece of action, very haphazardly narrated, paced and scripted).

Street Law, on the other hand, is arguably one of the greatest poliziotteschi out there.

Street Law it is then. I gotta say I think the choirmistress might usualy prefer Fabio :-* to Franco ( the last Nero film we both watched was The Fifth Cord which wasnā€™t so good) but sheā€™s up for it (and him) this eve.
I know she found the rape scenes in last nightā€™s offering - particularly the one with the young girl - hard going, but she said it was necessary to the plot of the film, and made the revenge more rewarding.
With all the nastiness going on, the bit that actually made me and her laugh out loud- which was genius - was when the fellah thatā€™s been run over and had his back broke and is gonna live (for as long as it lasts) in a metal brace - meets one of the other fucked-up characters - and he sympathetically says summat along the lines of " Hey - we got ourselves a robot" ;D :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ll let ya know how we get on ā€¦

The Big Racket is an excellent piece of poliziotteschi, very brutal and hence very entertaining, liked it a lot as well.

Street Law is reputed to be sort-of Italian Death Wish rip-off, but the protagonistā€™s motivation to seek revenge is somewhat different; Neroā€™s offended dignity (!) is the crucial propellant to seek justice and punish thugs that injured him during the opening robbery scene, whilst the helplessness and passiveness on the part of the police constitutes the catalysis to get his revenge on the baddies all by himself.

If you buy this premise, youā€™re likely to enjoy the movie, as its vibe is similar to The Big Racket - the analogously vehement direction and unblinking portrayal of rampant vengeance in a classic Castellari fashion.

To be honest, I never cared about Death Wish and I like Street Law quite a bit for what it is.

Good film, but the over the top performance from Franco and his brutal heavy accent nearly ruined the film for me. It is what it is ::slight_smile:

Nah, youā€™ve got to love this Italian mumbling. :wink:

Personally, I like his original voice. Sure, it sounds quite [glow=green,2,300]ITA[/glow][glow=white,2,300]LI[/glow][glow=red,2,300]AN[/glow], but I donā€™t mind (as long as I can understand him which is not always the case :P). Iā€™m a melancholic type, perhaps it explains my penchant for Neroā€™s original voice. :wink:

I must say that I donā€™t like Neroā€™s original voice, neither in English nor in Italian.
Heā€™s a nice guy, and I like his screen presence, but his voice is awful. Luckily in many movies he was dubbed by an Italian voice actor.

[quote=ā€œMickey13, post:12355, topic:1923ā€]The Big Racket is an excellent piece of poliziotteschi, very brutal and hence very entertaining, liked it a lot as well.

Street Law is reputed to be sort-of Italian Death Wish rip-off, but the protagonistā€™s motivation to seek revenge is somewhat different; Neroā€™s offended dignity (!)ā€¦

If you buy this premise, youā€™re likely to enjoy the movie,[/quote]

Well - we did enjoy it. It was a bit slow to get into things, compared to last nightā€™s full-on actiony stuff that kicks in from the off. But, itā€™s more political, and we appreciated that, but from the bit where Nero gets his (second) beating and the attempted murder by car it got back into more mindless (crack-another-beer) fun. All in all a good night in.
I donā€™t think Fabioā€™s gonna be replaced as the choirmistressā€™ hunk of choice yet though.
Cheers for the heads up Mickey :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:12358, topic:1923ā€]I must say that I donā€™t like Neroā€™s original voice, neither in English nor in Italian.
Heā€™s a nice guy, and I like his screen presence, but his voice is awful. Luckily in many movies he was dubbed by an Italian voice actor.[/quote]

Yes, I would never watch the English version of The Mercenary for this reason alone.

This clip will tell it all:

The Mercenary one of the best English dubs, imoā€¦ I watched it in Italian from an sbs broadcast and didnā€™t enjoy it as much