The Last Movie You Watched?

I think I saw the film looooong time ago, don’t remember anything of it. Perhaps I should re-watch it.

Wenn es Nacht wird auf der Reeperbahn / Trip With The Devil, good stuff, a gang are spiking teenage girls with LSD so old wealthy men can take advantage of them.

Not really a film, but a TV mini-series

[size=12pt]Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy -1979[/size]

Fantastic stuff, great acting and fantastic trasition of a complex book to screen. TV series are by now the new artistic zenith in creativity, more than in cinema, but worls like this one are really hard to beat

[quote=“El Topo, post:12285, topic:1923”]Not really a film, but a TV mini-series

Fantastic stuff, great acting and fantastic trasition of a complex book to screen. TV series are by now the new artistic zenith in creativity, more than in cinema, but worls like this one are really hard to beat[/quote]

One of the best of its time. Also a great novel.

How’s the picture quality? Does it look like new or like old TV stuff?

Hannie Caulder (1971).

Good movie (one of my favorites), or course, but there wasn’t ANYone in the old west who looked even remotely like Raquel Welch. :wink:

Great supporting cast, including Robert Culp as a bounty hunter and Christopher Lee as a custom gun maker. The three bandits (Ernest Borgnine, Jack Elam and Strother Martin) are both comedic and dangerous; a highly unusual but effective combination.

[quote=“Stanton, post:12286, topic:1923”]One of the best of its time. Also a great novel.

How’s the picture quality? Does it look like new or like old TV stuff?[/quote]

More like the old TV stuff, the source was a Spanish DVD, and pretty much like I remember watching in TV, if there was a BR version I would surely buy it, and yes Stanton, one of the best of its time and of its kind

[quote=“Stanton, post:12286, topic:1923”]One of the best of its time. Also a great novel.

How’s the picture quality? Does it look like new or like old TV stuff?[/quote]

The movie from 2011 wasn’t bad either, but yes, the TV series was better

The 2011 version suffers from the usual problems when you try to transfer a many-pages-book into a comparatively short film. Apart from the great actors it was the space they took which made the Tv version to a congenial version of the novel.

But I know that several people really liked the 2011 film, and several others like me not. It felt too often rushed at the wrong places, and there were too many characters which were only there because they were in the novel, but did unlike the novel not work in the film.

A great director, a great cast, a well-known producer and screenwriter, and still some think this is a failure …

[size=12pt]http://newmoviesontheblog.blogspot.be/2015/06/the-chase-1966.html[/size]

In Memory of Christopher Lee

Horror of Dracula (1958
The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
The Creeping Flesh (1973)
The Oblong Box (1969)
The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)

In Memory of Pierre Brice

The Treasure of Silver Lake (1962)
Amongst Vultures (1964)
A Place Called Glory (1965
Killer’s Carnival (1966)
Il Rossetto (aka) Lipstick (1960)

[quote=“El Topo, post:12285, topic:1923”]Not really a film, but a TV mini-series

Fantastic stuff, great acting and fantastic trasition of a complex book to screen. TV series are by now the new artistic zenith in creativity, more than in cinema, but worls like this one are really hard to beat[/quote]

The follow up Smiley’s People is just as good, Mario Adorf is in it

[size=12pt]Prime cut - 1972 - Michael Ritchie[/size]

[url]Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos

To my complete surprise here’s a Lee Marvin Gene Hackman film, I’ve never seen before, or even known it existed, and they are just two of my all-time favourite actors, the real prove that there’s always something unknown out there in the past, even for film geek like me.
I confess I was a bit suspicious at the beginning Michael Ritchie films got some low points for me among some high ones, but it’s the low one you remember the most (like the goalkeepers), but be honest most of his films always show some good pace and a good sense of action.
Prime cut is not a fantastic movie like Point Blank, or Night moves, it’s violent grittier than normal for a non-exploitation film at least, and at first view pretty basic in plot, but the good thing is that all these suppose bad things combine to make a good resulthe end.
Hackman does an amazing job as the leader of a redneck mafia, in a country against city style, Marvin as the city mafia enforcer doesn’t even need to act, and that when he does his best works, his presence it’s all a director needs from him. We also have a young and sexy as ever Sissy Spacek ready to be saved by our anti-hero of service.
There’s some cool scenes and a different ending for a film of this type at least, the funny thing it’s that the film doesn’t real have any plot holes, but a lot of an unanswered question that we just notice in the end not during the film.
Pity that Marvin didn’t make it at least to be in Eastwood Unforgiven, was the first though I got when I sadly reach the end of a perfect viewing. About Prime cut, not a masterpiece of the 70’s but of mandatory viewing, it got Marvin and Hackman so who needs masterpieces.
Pay attention to the opening scene incredible stuff

This movie was a major dissapointment to me
I think I wrote something about it on these pages, but the search enginee seems to have run out of steam

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:12295, topic:1923”]This movie was a major dissapointment to me
I think I wrote something about it on these pages, but the search enginee seems to have run out of steam[/quote]

I think it’s all a matter of expectations, I didn’t had many, Marvin late movies weren’t all that great, and the director even if a reasonable one was no Penn or Boorman, so. The peculiar thing about Prime cut was the fact that the shortcomings that I usually criticize in other film, seem to work here.

I really enjoyed Prime Cut, mind you the last time I saw it was 3 years ago, but I did like Marvin’s character. And indeed the opening was great.

Malizia
-Italian film which starts as a fun sex comedy but turns out to be rather grim and perverse drama. Well directed and acted film with good use of music.

Really enjoy Prime Cut, its one of those films for me I always go back to.

Mad Max…Road Fury.

Really gets going this from the word go, and does not let up. Very fast paced film which comes and goes around so to speak. Thought I would have missed Mel Gibson, but no, even forgot him which surprised me. The oddball characters are a match for the non stop action. This viewer is looking forward to the next installment.

[size=12pt]IT’S ONLY MONEY[/size] (1962, Frank Tashlin)

A minor comedy starring Jerry Lewis, not directed by himself (at the time he was very busy developing the movie that would become his masterpiece, The Nutty Professor). Jerry is a TV repair man who dreams of becoming a detective, like his friend Pete Flint. When the two men see a TV program about a wealthy older woman looking for her long-lost nephew (who is the heir to the family fortune), they decide to help the old lady out. Things are complicated by the fact that Jerry is in fact the very person everybody’s looking for.

A good script is only used by Lewis as a main hook for some of his routines, some of them funny, others not so funny. Instead of the absurdist, almost surreal comedy of some of his best movies, the jokes are more in line with the things he did when he still formed a partnership with Dean Martin, that is: he’s being very, verrry busy and noisy (and there’s no Dino around to counterbalance the hullabaloo). Okay if you like Jerry (like I do), others beware. There’s at least one grade-A Lewis moment with Jerry shaving a painting.

Run All Night (2015) by Jaume Collet-Serra with Liam Neeson and Ed Harris.

Decent enough action flick, felt that there was some good acting from (Neeson and Harris and the story wasn’t bad. It does have a few hiccups, but overall I think it holds its weight. 6/10