The Last Movie You Watched? ver.2.0

Two horror movies with animals, a shark and a bear. In this case the bear wins:

Deep Blue Sea 2

A sequel to the enjoyable, if brainless shark terror flick of the same name (but with number 1). Virtually a remake, with a similar storyline and premise. A scientist is genetically engineering sharks for the sake of mankind: he’s trying to develop a serum to enhance human intelligence before we’re outsmarted by the artificial intelligence of our robotic friends. That’s probably the only neat idea of the entire movie. The actors and characters are less appealing than in the original movie. The sharks are okay but there aren’t too many attacks. Unless you’re a diehard shark fan, forget it.

This one was more like it:

http://sg-movie-reviews.blogspot.be/2018/04/backcountry-blackfoot-trail.html

1 Like

Finally! and yes its the best martial arts film I’ve seen yet. Not a dull moment, nor a scene out place, ( maybe a bit over the top, and had to shock audiences considering this was released in 1973) Any fan of martial arts or exploitation would certainly find Lady Snowblood worth their while.

1 Like
  1. Winterbottom: The Look of Love
  2. Jarmusch: Stranger Than Paradise
  3. Newmeyer & Taylor: Freshman
  4. Newmeyer & Taylor: Why Worry?
  5. Welles: The Stranger
  6. Corbucci: Django
  7. Wilde: Speedy
  8. Newmeyer & Taylor: Hot Water
  9. Newmeyer & Taylor: Dr. Jack
  10. Franco: Hot Nights of Linda

That has a ring to it. Do you know if there were any sequels or spin-offs to this movie? It seems quite obscure.

Is this about ANY movie you have just watched; or Spaghetti Westerns specifically?
I have two lined up to watch that I have not seen yet - The new Godzilla movie (The Japanese one) and Alien Covenant. Very much looking forward to them.
The last two Spaghetti Westerns I have watched are Once Upon A Time In The West and Texas, Adios.

1 Like

Hey J0zza! This thread’s mainly for any of your non-western movie-watching experiences. There’s another thread in the same vein dedicated to westerns (spaghetti or otherwise) here:

:+1:

Personally, I liked both Shin Godzilla (I assume you mean that one and not the anime Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters from last year?) and Alien: Covenant although neither were perfect by any means.

1 Like

Hi Asa. Thank you for the response and the guidance on the forum :slight_smile:
I do mean Shin Godzilla and not the Netflix Anime. I really did not like that. And the two Hollywood Godzilla films were both awful. (Bryan Cranstons one was better, but only slightly. I did not buy the whole grieving husband plotline). But thats just me.
Once again, thank you for your Response.
J0zza

1 Like

Yeah, I was a little disappointed by the anime Godzilla pic too. I love Godzilla and I love anime and I’m surprised they hadn’t cross-pollinated more often but there we are. I think there’s a second part to it due towards the end of the month anyway, maybe it’ll improve.

1 Like

1-1-1-11-1

1.The Tempest (1979) -7/10-- 2.Eye of the Cat (1969) -6/10
3. The Night Walker (1964) - 6/10-- 4.Hard Country (1981) -6/10
5.End of the Game (1975) -5.9/10 –6.Little Murders (1971) -5.5/10

Manhunt (John Woo). Damn it’s bad… I thought I’d give it the benefit of a doubt but… it’s really bad.

Last ten days (ish):
Jaws (Spielberg, 1975) :star::star::star::star::star:
Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar’s Revenge (Rønning/Sandberg, 2017) :star::star::star:
The Exorcist (Friedkin, 1973) :star::star::star::star::star:
Magnum Force (Post, 1973) :star::star::star::star:
Dog Day Afternoon (Lumet, 1975) :star::star::star::star::star:
Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979) :star::star::star::star::star:
Alien (Scott, 1979) :star::star::star::star::star:
Deep Blue Sea 2 (Scott, 2018) :star:
Dead Calm (Noyce, 1989) :star::star::star::star:
Raging Bull (Scorsese, 1980) :star::star::star:
The Dead Zone (Cronenberg, 1983) :star::star::star:
Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) :star::star::star:
Hellbound: Hellraiser II (Randel, 1988) :star::star:
The Living Daylights (Glen, 1987) :star::star::star:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Meyer, 1982) :star::star::star:
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) :star::star::star::star:
The Empire Strikes Back (Kershner, 1980) :star::star::star::star::star:
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Johnson, 2017) :star::star::star:
Return of the Jedi (Marquand, 1983) :star::star::star:
Day of the Dead (Romero, 1985) :star::star::star:
Christine (Carpenter, 1983) :star::star::star:
Back to the Future (Zemeckis, 1985) :star::star::star::star:
Back to the Future part II (Zemeckis, 1989) :star::star::star:
Massacre Gun (Hasebe, 1967) :star::star::star:

My “Super Sights of the 70’s” April movie challenge has given way to my “80 From the 80’s” May challenge. With a quick reshuffle of the schedule I was able to incorporate a “Star Wars Day: May the 4th be With You” mini-marathon in there as well.

1. Visconti: Death in Venice
  2. Del Toro: The Shape of Water (T)
  3. Franco: Virgin Among the Living Dead
  4. Salkow: Twice-Told Tales
  5. Hessler: Cry of the Banshee
  6. Gilroy: Nightcrawler
  7. Franco: Les Grandes Emmerdeuses
  8. Hessler: Murders in the Rue Morgue
  9. Mangold: Wolverine
  10. Fuest: Dr. Phibes Rises Again

I said: Forget it!
But no, a diehard shark fan, I should’ve known, those guys never listen.

Again (after the low marks for Taxi Driver), no real Scorsese appreciation here. What’s wrong with this movie? (unlike Taxi Driver it’s not really a personal favorite, btw)

2 Likes

Whenever I watch Taxi Driver I can’t help but wish I liked it as much as most people. Same thing with Apocalypse Now.

Well, at least we agree on Apocalypse Now; A movie i don’t really care for

I too now find ‘Apocalypse Now’ a bit of a slog … and it’s one of those overly documented and hyped films, whose over exposure really puts me off.

Have to say that it was really breath taking and powerful on the big screen back in the day … but now the key scenes and quotable dialogue and numerous re-edits have killed off much of it’s original impact.

I much prefer Platoon :+1:

I prefer Tropic Thunder :rofl: … with every ‘Nam’ cliché in the book, it makes any of the original movies hard to take seriously.

PS: It’s not laughing at the war, but the Hollywood treatment of it.

I love the theatrical cut of Apocalypse Now but I wasn’t keen on Redux. Taxi Driver is great, too

Oh that French plantation scene in Redux. Definitely not overlong. Just brilliant…

1 Like