The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

Sorry if this has already been asked before but I didnā€™t see nothing. Is there a fan-edit available of the original Italian version in English with the original mono soundtrack and without the awful ā€˜il grottoā€™ scene??

I just hit skip on my BD player as it is a self-contained scene.

In a similar vein, with my Once Upon a Time in the West BD I sometimes also try to hit skip as soon as Bronson gets shot at the beginning and hits the ground so I can avoid his ā€œrisingā€ so to speak.

1 Like
    Wise man,that's how to watch the discs ...
1 Like

I occasionally watch separate scenes from these movies but never did these things. I donā€™t mind the ā€˜rising sceneā€™, but that Grotto scene should be prohibited from any possible future releases

1 Like

But the Rising scene is much worse, as it destroys one of the magnificent ideas of the film.

The Grotto scene is only a rhythm problem, but not a too big issue in this slightly overlong film.

1 Like

Yes. It also breaks the nice transition between the gun shot that fells Bronson and the gunshot at the McBainā€™s.

Cheers man, thatā€™s what I tend to do, or just watch the 161 min cut instead solely because of that scene. Since the 4k release Iā€™ve sort of given up hope Iā€™ll ever see Leoneā€™s cut in English :frowning:

Couldnā€™t agree more :slight_smile:

Yes, reason enough to skip that short scene.

I like the grotto scene. :fearful:

That is of course a fair point. The scene shouldnā€™t be there, but it most probably was inserted because people who had scene an early print thought that Harmonica was a ghost. At least, thatā€™s what I found when I was doing some research in relation to this controversial scene.

But still the grotto scene irritates me more, I just canā€™t stand it. It sounds wrong, looks wrong.
But I noticed that there are people on the face of this world who like it (at least one)

Do not mind the scene. I mind that the original english mono soundtrack is not on many official releases though.

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: Once upon a time in the west (1968/Leone)

Not much to say, except that itā€™s one of my favourite movies of all time. Eli Wallach shone like he was heaven sent in the lead role, the cinematography is gorgeous to look at, the music is just- oh! So beautiful!
The comedy, the drama, the angry bromanceā€¦ everything works for me.

Love all these pictures.

Blondie in the top one is like, ā€œWake up, you!ā€

An article on the restoration of Sad Hill Cemetery from last week, really cool to hear about this! Thereā€™s also a place to donate, a ā€œSponsor a Tombā€ section where you can donate money to clean one of the tombs:

https://asociacionculturalsadhillen.wordpress.com/collaborate/

Cool. Sponsor a fictional headstone? Sounds neat.

I think the run is cute.

The bit with the chicken was awkward. As soon as that was over I pretended it never happened. Beautiful set and cinematography as always though.

I have inquiries also about Wallachā€™s Western wear. Tucoā€™s, really.
The first is about those studdedā€¦ what do you call them? Those tan flares around his trousers in a good part of the movie. What do you call those?
Also those black boots at the end? Those are nice. I noticed the pretty little pattern on them which is hard to see through all the dirt. Did Simi design them or else where were they bought?