The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

superb article, Scherp and also those pictures are great

They are, but iā€™m not responsible for them ā€¦

Thereā€™s one small element of Eastwoodā€™s character, that has escaped most people who have written about the movie: he picks up the famous poncho from the side of the dying soldier, wearing the distinctive garment only in the filmā€™s finale. The two other parts of the trilogy are both set after the Civil War, and when Blondie rides out of this movie, he is on his way to A Fistful of Dollars. Like this the trilogy can start all over again, ad infinitum. It leaves us with the difficulty that No Name would be a wealthy man at the beginning of Fistful, which makes it unlikely he would ever want to mess with the Rojos and the Baxters, but itā€™s an elegant narrative device. I like it.

this is one of the many things i admired on this film - in the end it just becomes a prequel to its predecessors - donĀ“t know who precisely came with this idea, but itĀ“s pure genius

1 Like

i know, great work dicfish :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œtomas, post:323, topic:307ā€]Thereā€™s one small element of Eastwoodā€™s character, that has escaped most people who have written about the movie: he picks up the famous poncho from the side of the dying soldier, wearing the distinctive garment only in the filmā€™s finale. The two other parts of the trilogy are both set after the Civil War, and when Blondie rides out of this movie, he is on his way to A Fistful of Dollars. Like this the trilogy can start all over again, ad infinitum. It leaves us with the difficulty that No Name would be a wealthy man at the beginning of Fistful, which makes it unlikely he would ever want to mess with the Rojos and the Baxters, but itā€™s an elegant narrative device. I like it.

this is one of the many things i admired on this film - in the end it just becomes a prequel to its predecessors - donĀ“t know who precisely came with this idea, but itĀ“s pure genius[/quote]

I always interpreted this as the war formed the Eastwood character of the trilogy. Due to the war circumstances he gets by and by the costume he wears in the previous films. The poncho is only the last detail.
Even if I donā€™t see the trilogy as directly connected. Eastwood is a slightly different guy in all 3, but his character is basically always the same.

good point - i think No Name character is probably most developed of all three movies, he even shows those things called compassion and understanding, like scherp wrote

by the way, i never realized this : Furthermore, he discharges Tucoā€™s gun prior to the final shootout, so he wonā€™t have to kill him
i always thought he discharged TucoĀ“s gun, because he was aware of that Tuco and Angel Eyes in combination were too quick for him

Thatā€™s a matter of interpretation. At least he had always control over Tuco.
But he couldnā€™t know that Sentenza would also be there, but it was of course a possibility. But even then he couldnā€™t foresee that it would become a triello, or better a duello in disguise.

oh yes, thatĀ“s right - or maybe No Name thought he is not that fast as Tuco, so he decided to discharge his gun
well, Tuco was also pretty good with revolver :slight_smile:

A nice pleasent surprise for the New Year, but I do slightly question the need for three different film reviews of the same movie.

Well, why not 3 or even more?

But actually it is only one new review (there is also an older one by Phil) and one article which could be called bonus material. And a special page for the main page.

well, iĀ“m very satisfied by the fact that three reviews of GBU suddenly popped up from nowhere
for example that second review about LeoneĀ“s inspirations is very informative, i didnĀ“t know that much about it, so iĀ“m glad i know now

Well making a review of this film is a work in progress to me someday I will finish it.

Concerning the fact of Angel eyes appearence in the Union prison as a Union Army sargeant, I always though he was in some kind of leave or something before that. Iā€™m sure that by the Civil war period, militar discipline was strict as usual in any army specially in the Union army (more organized), but it was a Civil war with several guerrilas and almost private armies, mostly from the Confederate side. Confederate soldiers normally could return home after a year of service, but in most cases they took that just as a license and reenlisted again

That was a very interesting read. I never thought that the presence of Angel Eyes in the army needed to be explained. Those were chaotic times and Iā€™m sure that identity theft and similar scams was much easier than in modern times. And the fact that isnā€™t explained and the movie goes a lot of time without Angel Eyes makes it more of a surprise. Even if unintentional, I thought it was a pretty effective twist in the plot.
And the fact that Blondie leaves the movie with a lot of money but he doesnā€™t have any in the next one (if we take this as a prequel), I donā€™t really see it as a problem either. We always see in SW how money comes and goes very easily. Nobody stays rich for a long time and I donā€™t think anybody thought Blondie was gonna be rich and happy everafter, even if we didnā€™t think of this as a prequel. At least I know I never did.
I donā€™t wanna sound like Iā€™m nitpicking and looking for little details to argue though, it was a great review which had many of points where I agree and plenty of others that I never thought about.

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:330, topic:307ā€]Well, why not 3 or even more?

But actually it is only one new review (there is also an older one by Phil) and one article which could be called bonus material. And a special page for the main page.[/quote]
I was just thinking that amount was perhaps superfluous, retelling the same things each time (what the plot is, who directed and starred in it etc, etc).

Has anyone noticed the ACME Boxes in the gunshop scene with Tuco??

Iā€™ve seen this movie hundreds of times and i have never noticed these beforeā€¦ Could it be that Leone was a Road Runner- fan??

Does anybody here know what those flaps or tags Tuco is wearing are called, and what function they fill? Are they simply dust covers for boots?

http://www.free-wallpaper-download.com/movie/good-bad-ugly/2_1024.jpg

I think theyā€™re called tarsals and were used to pull boots on before loops became common. If Iā€™m wrong, Iā€™m sure someone will correct me.

Thanks Sam.
I associated them with those flared pants mexicans often wear in films, and i thought that these could be of the same origin. I googled ā€œtarsalsā€ but didnĀ“t find anything that made me wiser. Checked out some GBU clips and it looks like they could be some kind of shin-guards, there are buttons on the sides and maybe Tuco just wears them opened.

As I said, Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a better answer out there somewhere, but thatā€™s as far as my knowledge goes. Hope you find what youā€™re looking for!

Cover to the new Japanese release.