The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

I’ve been watching movies the last 25 years of my life and never had the slightest interest to learn who one the oscar. All these big shiny prizes of world fame do not say much, at least not to me, regardless of whether they are related to art or not. I have my doubts about the honesty and the deeper purposes of the organizations behind them. Henry Kissinger had for example won the nobel of peace, facts like that can leave you speechless for the rest of your life.

Being a complete cinephile myself, I have interest in the awards but not a much in the actual movies. The New York Critics choice is sometimes favored by actors over oscars.

[quote=“korano, post:200, topic:307”]Never seen Ghandi and have no interest to. De Mille’s style of filmmaking is much more enjoyable. He knew what the audience liked. Zinneman was a good enough director but I can’t really judge him as I haven’t seen too many of his films.

@El Topo:
Well, Hitchock was nominated 5 times and Chaplin actually did win an award so… maybe it balances out[/quote]
Don’t go by what Stanton says korano, see Gandhi and make your own mind up. I thought it truly deserved the awards it was given.

And cheer up El Topo, Hitchcock’s Rebecca did win Best Picture.

[quote=“korano, post:200, topic:307”]@El Topo:
Well, Hitchock was nominated 5 times and Chaplin actually did win an award so… maybe it balances out[/quote]

Yeah I forgot the Limelight one for best Music (with other composers) :o 20 years after the film was relesead, (how it was possible) , he did receive an honorary one,
If here are directors that made films that deservead Oscar’s (as we understand the meaning of an Oscar) Chaplin and Hitchcock are those directors

And didn’t Chaplin win a Special Acadamy Award for producing, writing, directing and starring in The Circus (1928)?

Ok the man got three statuets after all ;D two honorary and one for best music

But my point is that films like City Lights, Modern Times, The great Dictator, (just to name a few) should be awarded with a best film Oscar. Come on Even Lord of the Rings got a few ones.

I don’t think this has been mentioned in the topic earlier, I was reading Luciano Vincenzoni’s interview from Frayling’s book Once upon a time in Italy where he says he wrote a sequel to GBU. Vincenzoni talks about it obviously with quite enthusiasm but the story sounds terrible: After 25 years Tuco is searching for Blondie and finds out he first became a mayor in some town and that he’s been killed. Then there’s his son or some relative who Tuco starts to follow hoping to find Blondie’s money. And then there’s twin brother of Angel Eyes too…

First time I heard about this sequel plan and fortunately it was never made, story sounds so bad. Making Man with no name to became a mayor and then killing him off is like castrating the whole iconic character.

Was Joe Dante going to be the director at one point ?

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:208, topic:307”]Was Joe Dante going to be the director at one point ?[/quote]Yes, that’s what he says in the interview.

Blondie a mayor? Oh boy…

I have read a long synopsis in a German Leone book. I was glad they never made it.

This is a no brainer. Five stars.

I’d be interested in hearing a synopsis in a couple of paragraphs. The fact that its terrible makes it all the more interesting!

[quote=“Bill san Antonio, post:207, topic:307”]I don’t think this has been mentioned in the topic earlier, I was reading Luciano Vincenzoni’s interview from Frayling’s book Once upon a time in Italy where he says he wrote a sequel to GBU. Vincenzoni talks about it obviously with quite enthusiasm but the story sounds terrible: After 25 years Tuco is searching for Blondie and finds out he first became a mayor in some town and that he’s been killed. Then there’s his son or some relative who Tuco starts to follow hoping to find Blondie’s money. And then there’s twin brother of Angel Eyes too…

First time I heard about this sequel plan and fortunately it was never made, story sounds so bad. Making Man with no name to became a mayor and then killing him off is like castrating the whole iconic character.[/quote]

Yeh, I remember reading about that too. I’d be interested to know if Stanton’s source has any more info on it.

It is in a book about Leone published in the mid-80s by Oreste de Fornari (not too interesting book btw). I have the German edition.

Vinzenzoni has a few pages to talk about him and Leone, and near the end he mentions the treatment he has written for GBU 2 (We only need Sergio’s consent to make the movie).
Then follows a longer description of the story.

[quote=“El Topo, post:206, topic:307”]Ok the man got three statuets after all ;D two honorary and one for best music

But my point is that films like City Lights, Modern Times, The great Dictator, (just to name a few) should be awarded with a best film Oscar. Come on Even Lord of the Rings got a few ones.[/quote]

“Even” Lord of the Rings got “a few”? LOTR: The Return of the King got 11 Oscars in 2004. It is one of the best film trilogies of all time.

After reading this, one does wonder how much Luciano Vincenzoni really contributed to Leone’s films…

[quote=“Stanton, post:215, topic:307”]It is in a book about Leone published in the mid-80s by Oreste de Fornari (not too interesting book btw). I have the German edition.

Vinzenzoni has a few pages to talk about him and Leone, and near the end he mentions the treatment he has written for GBU 2 (We only need Sergio’s consent to make the movie).
Then follows a longer description of the story.[/quote]

Ah ok, I must have read that too then cos I have read the English translation of that book. I don’t own it however so can’t compare the two. I do remember it being quite a good book though, or maybe my memory mistakes me :-\

What he had to say about the Leone films was a disappointment for me then. Too less about the making of the films, and only vague things about their content.

Viewed this one more over the years with the mono english dub, and went back to this dub recently. Prefer to the more recent 5.1 english dub as guess it is what I am used to.