The Good, the Bad and the Ugly / Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966)

Yes, but heā€™s not around here any more as he is moving to another state if I remember correctly (hopefully he wonā€™t be gone too long), so heā€™s not going to write a review.

Yes, one scene ;). But on the whole I find it overlong.

Overlong !!! A Emerson Lake & Palmer concert itā€™s ovelong this is cinema at itā€™s best

This is my least favorite of the dollars trilogy, but still top 5 stuff for me and one of my favorite films. Anybody have the dvd that came with the mini posters? I was looking at them the other day and an idea just came to my headā€¦Iā€™m gonna get them framed!

Iā€™ve got the Special Collector Portuguese edition with two discs and a lot of good extras

Leone wanted Charles Brosnso for the LVC part but he was already on signed contract to the dirty dozen, leone was also advise by orson Welles to not do the film cause films about the civil wwar didnā€™t make money in the box office, but i guess those are things everybody knows

Cool DVD box set you have there El Topo. Itā€™s a shame we donā€™t have one like that here n Britain.

O Bom o Mau e o VilĆ£o, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, in Portugal itā€™s a very successful film, in public terms, in critic terms the most considered is Once Upon a Time in the West, GBU was the only one of the Leone Western to have this special box, all the others have also special editions but with normal casing. Some friends that work in the fnac stores, told me that The Leone western (with the exclusion of Giu la testa edited later, on a normal edition) and with GBU on top, even being expensive, around 25ā‚¬/30ā‚¬ ( all special editions) were a huge commercial sucess. This ones for sure I wont find in the supermarket for 1,5ā‚¬.

Watched the blu ray last night which makes this the second time iĀ“ve seen the movie. I do have to admit i was little less impress this second time around. Some of the things i disliked was the fact that Van Cleef has actually very little screen time. Almost the whole running time is dedicated to blondie and tuco and their adventures. That said i must admit Tuco is by the far the most interesting of the characters and even steals EastwoodĀ“s spotlight imo. So itĀ“s only natural that Wallach enjoys alot of screentime. But Van CleefĀ“s character getĀ“s so little backstory and actual screentime that i hardly cared when he got shot in the grand finale. If they had used some of TucoĀ“s screentime for van Cleef it would have balanced things out a little more in my opinion.

I also could have done without the reinserted scenes, first of all they should have just subtitled them instead of dubbing them 30 years down the road, it just sounds akward. Secondly they donĀ“t add anything substantial to the story. Some minor plotholes are filled in by these scenes but i personally have never noticed them before until they were pointed out to me. Besides didnĀ“t Leone remove these scenes himself?

The running time of 3 hours feels also somewhat excessive. There are no real boring parts but there a few moments where things slow down quite bit and the movie starts to lose some steam. Maybe a little bit more tight editing would have done trick. The desert scenes drags on somewhat as well the scene at the bridge right before the end. IĀ“m not saying they should have been removed, but again some tighter editing might have done the job.

But besides from these minor issues i still consider it a classic and it certainly deserved itĀ“s reputation. Like i said there a few little issues but in my mind this is the movie which showed LeoneĀ“s true potential for the first time. Besides this is the movie which gave the whole spaghetti western genre a face. Even my friends who know jack shit about spaghetti westerns know at least the theme music or simply the movie title. It may be not as good as ā€œOnce Upon a Time in the Westā€ but i certainly wouldnĀ“t call it overrated.

Thatā€™s what I always say.

Eli Wallach should have receaved an Oscar Nomination for His role! He is absolutely amazing!!!

1 Like

They wouldnā€™t give such an award to a genre they detested.

They couldnā€™t anyhow, the Oscarā€™s are for American films only.

What about the best foreign film award?

Also, Bertolucciā€™s The Last Emperor won for Best Picture.

Nope, the Oscar is theoretically for every film which was released in the respective year in the USA. But in fact it is of course mainly for Hollywood films with a few exceptions. And these exceptions are also mainly films shot in the English language.

So GBU could have been nominated in 68.

Oh yes, I foregot about that Stanton (slaps head); thanks for reminding me.

Anyhow, what won Best Picture in 1966?

A Man for All Seasons, one of the worst films ever to win the award.

Possibly anohter example of the politics of the decisions. Cecil B. DeMilleā€™s Greatest Show on Earth also won and is widely considered one of the least deserving.

Maybe the worst was Ghandi. Noble theme, lousy directing, clumsy storytelling.

Zinnemann and De Mille have made at least better films.

Unforgiven was the last Best Picture I liked, so not much of a Best Picture man these days.

Chaplin and Hitchcock never won an Oscar so I think that pretty much says it all

[quote=ā€œStanton, post:197, topic:307ā€]Maybe the worst was Ghandi. Noble theme, lousy directing, clumsy storytelling.

Zinnemann and De Mille have made at least better films.[/quote]Never seen Ghandi and have no interest to. De Milleā€™s style of filmmaking is much more enjoyable. He knew what the audience liked. Zinneman was a good enough director but I canā€™t really judge him as I havenā€™t seen too many of his films.

@El Topo:
Well, Hitchock was nominated 5 times and Chaplin actually did win an award soā€¦ maybe it balances out