Taste of Killing / Per il gusto di uccidere (Tonino Valerii, 1966)

As still a relative SW beginner I emphasize my overall impression and I havenĀ“t actually thought much about your angle at least not so much consciously in the positive meaning, but surely there ought to be examples I like more than others.

But I donā€™t like long lasting fighting or long ā€œwildā€ shooting scenes which I find boring so in a negative aspect I definitely DO notice stand out scenes :wink:
Taste of killing for the better IMO lacks such scenes I think, but it also lacks in stirring my emotions.

Generally I like the Almeria, Granada train scenes, Colmenar Viejo, scenes since they are shot in familiar landscapes which is exciting as I am living in southern Spain several months a year.

In the better to top SW I probably do remember the film for special scenes which I like for some reason or reasons. The Leone-like scenes in My Name Is Nobody for instance (2 barber shop climaxes, The Wild Bunch scenes etc etc) . Often the scenes I like are connected to music I like. So it is for me probably many times also important to get a certain feeling of a scene .
Cemetery Without Crosses I associate with a steady ā€œflowā€ of tight perfect scenes which appeal to me and so does the music.

1 Like

Absolutely love that film! Alternative top 20 material for me

1 Like

Only if I like the movie.[quote=ā€œElDavido, post:40, topic:589ā€]
When I dig around for these obscure titles Iā€™m always pretty much sure that Iā€™m not in for a masterpiece but Iā€™m always hoping to get some of those stand-alone masterpiece scenes, like the ending of Full House for the Devil for example.
[/quote]

I remember the sniping scenes and cool casting and the prison scene. I canā€™t recall of the ending at all. :frowning:

1 Like

I love the sniping scenes in this one! The bank robbery is well made aswell

Itā€™s a cool one for sure, it has itā€™s moments!

Incredible bargain

After having watched Taste Of Killing/Lanky Fellow (Tonino Valerii) for the 4th or 5th time since October 2019 my feelings are still the same. It is an unusually ā€œcleanā€ SW and the antihero is not even beaten up anytime. I think though it lacks some feeling or darker mood even if it is not directly lighthearted. One of the two ā€œlove storiesā€ has the villianā€™s woman the character played by Rada Rassimov suffer in the end but I prefer when the ā€œgoodā€ girls, as in Requiem For A Gringo, Ramon The Mexican and Anda Muchacho Spara are treated badly but with a better outcome in the end. It has some moody ā€œcharmā€ I think.

Here good music and fine Almeria vistas still should motivate at least a strong 6/10 rating, but in spite of that, for the moment I only rank Taste Of Killing as 35 on my SW Top 40 due to good competition among the weak 7/10 to strong 6/10.

1 Like

I think Iā€™ll watch this tonight, thanks for the idea, runner.

Runner has given a very good appraisal but I would give it 7/10. I still think it is worth owning.

Slowly but hopefully surely returning to the glorious land of watching spaghetti westerns on a regular basis. I re-watched this for the first time in about a decade the other night and enjoyed it. It certainly isnā€™t as good as Valeriiā€™s main three westerns or The Hired Gun but itā€™s one of those enjoyable films that shows signs of better things to come in a new director.

Watched the Koch release last night, and must admit I found a lot to like. The basic conceit of an ambulance-chasing bounty hunter tickled me no end.

2 Likes

Yep ā€¦ the more morally bankrupt the leading characters are, the more we love them :wink:

1 Like

I love the smile of pure joy that creeps across his face after watching the carnage through the scope of his rifle. He was already counting the dollars in his head.

1 Like

took all my high school French skills and another scrolling through Frenezyā€™s Facebook page, but this seems to be an upcoming BluRay release in France. Does anyone have access to the French audio by the way, the label seems unable to locate itā€¦ it had a very short theatrical run in France

As their BluRay is approaching a release date announcement soon I figure (updated some of the details in the database), I also updated the filmā€™s page in the SWDb to the new layout. Let me know if there is anything to be corrected or if you can add to it.

Hereā€™s the link to buy the official blu ray. Itā€™s not out yetā€¦ but soon.

2 Likes

There is now a new poll going for this one too. Head up to the original post at the top of the page to participate! :cowboy_hat_face: (trust level 1 and above as always, of course).

@LankyGringo is a fan of this one, if I remember rightly. :wink:

2 Likes

You do remember rightly! :laughing: An easy five from me.

1 Like

For me, this otherwise really enjoyable film is totally ruined by the far too many scenes with the old ā€œfunny sidekickā€ geezer. And every frigging time the same funny theme is played. Just ugh.

I can see your point.