SWDB browser search plugin (IE/Firefox) [highly recommended]

I have created Firefox and Internet Explorer search plugin that you can use to quickly search the SWDB without having to browser there first. It uses a custom Google search that is very convenient to use and ultra tast.

As announced on the main page, you can read how it works here:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Help:Search

I will also try and see if that is possible for Opera Browser in the future.

I will also rework the entire Help section of the SWDB. Some people don’t get the difference between the “Go” and the “Search” button, which is essential… Please post your feedback

Great great great. Thank you.

My computer does not seem to like Firefox for some reason…slows things up…

how old is your computer?

Computer is 1 year old.

what are you running? windows xp sp2? how much spare hard disk space do you have? how much ram does your computer have?

Works well for me

Running windows xp sp2, 512MB of Ram and 20.0 GB free space on Hardrive.

That setup desperately needs another 512 MB of RAM :wink:

aside from that, shouldn’t be a reason for firefox to slow it down though.

one thing you could try is to get the latest Java (java.com), maybe that helps.

Thanks alot Sebastian…this did the trick :).

glad to hear that

The search plugin also works for Internet Explorer (version 7 tested), I have updated “Help:Search” with step by step instructions.
this is so cool, I even use it all day

[quote=“Sebastian, post:13, topic:933”]The search plugin also works for Internet Explorer (version 7 tested), I have updated “Help:Search” with step by step instructions.
this is so cool, I even use it all day[/quote]
And what about Opera browser?

if you can find out how it works in Opera, let me know. I haven’t had the time to try it yet

a note to every internet user out there, Firefox 3 has been released

http://www.mozilla-europe.org already has a download link up.

(Please not that while I’m writing this, the release is still in progress and for example www.mozilla.com still show 2.0 download links).

This is clearly the best web browser out there. faster, better, more secure, free and totally extensible. I’ve been using Firefox since I knew it existed. If you are still wasting your web life with Internet Explorer, it’s time to switch.

Firefox of course also supports the SWDB’s search plugin with which you can search the SWDB right out of your browser.

not sure if this still works, at least in firefox 3.5 it doesnt… would be great to have somebody with more knowledge about this. i definitely used the plugin a lot myself. direct search of the SWDB from my browser

by the way this still works, even though the instructions page has old screenshots

Has anyone ever used this (adding the SWDb to the built in search engines of your browser)?

• No
  • Yes

0 voters

Not sure if this still works (adding the SWDb as a “search engine” to your browser), but there are some other pro tips or hacks.

You could use something like

or for advanced google use, you can also use Google to search the SWDb by typing
site:spaghetti-western.net words to search for
(obviously replacing “words to search for” with whatever you are looking for).