SpagvemberFest!

If I’m not mistaken, the movie by Carreras is Tierra Brutal, one of the very first - maybe the first - spaghetti like westerns shot in Almeria. There’s a third movie - I think it’s Mexican - known under the title Savage Guns, a mediocre WildBunch/Magnificent Seven imitation, so possibly from the early Seventies.

Tonight

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2016 - A FISTFUL OF REAPPRAISALS: DAY 17

Oh noes! Couldn’t do a spag yesterday - stupid real life intervening - but I’m not abandoning it just yet. Yesterday’s pic was scheduled to be Go With God, Gringo (Mulargia, 1966), a movie I watched originally having loved El Puro (Mulargia, 1969) and having rather enjoyed Shango (Mulargia, 1970) and W Django! (Mulargia, 1971) too, but which left me a little flat when I saw it. So I’m eager not to let this opportunity to watch it again slip by and, in that spirit, I’m going to try to double-bill it; perhaps on Saturday but far more likely on Sunday. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2016 - A FISTFUL OF REAPPRAISALS: DAY 18

We’ve friends over tonight but I intend to put a spag on while they’re here, so I need a fairly accessible one and I’ve decided to run with The Stranger Returns (Vanzi, 1967), for my money a better film than its predecessor and one imbued with humour in the right way; that is to say not like almost all of the comedy spags of the seventies. Little touches of humour here and there, that’s all a good action film needs (if at all), and - if I’m recalling it correctly - The Stranger Returns gets the balance right, whilst still being a violent little pic. I’m looking forward to it. But can he roll a cigarette?

Spagvemberfest 2016 Number 18

This is the great thing about Spagvemberfest. It focuses the mind on films that you’d forgotten how much you liked. Massacre Time would probably always be on my list of Top 50 favourite Spags but I haven’t watched it in absolute ages. Certainly not since I upgraded my telly so I am a bit nervous on what the picture quality of my old Digital World release will look like. I’m guessing not great.

This SpagvemberFest is really a fest, but also tough work. Ten films to go, but only 6 or maybe 7 days, as I will be going to the European Union for some days next week. Today:

and

or maybe this

Which is the better DVD?

No idea, I have the Koch disc. That is quite alright, but the night scenes are far too bright (we discussed that aspect on the movie’s thread, I think)

The UK disc cut out the horse falls

Where in the film is this?

Bl…dy hell, I’ve fallen behind schedule. Still to watch: the third “sotto-Django,” 10.000 dollari per un massacro, and the fourth, Osvaldo Civirani’s Il figlio di Django (1967); originally scheduled for today: Edoardo Mulargia’s Non aspettare, Django, spara! (1967). Hope to catch up over the weekend.

Why Go on killing?

Not a movie that gets better with multiple viewings
I had forgotten most of it, but a lot came back when I was rewatching it, but what looked fresh, didn’t look so tasty and fresh the second time around. I won’t say it’s a bad movie per se, but I don’t think it’s among Steffen better ones either

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Why_Go_on_Killing%3F_Review_(Scherpschutter)

1 Like

no 17. Baldi: Forgotten Pistolero (1969)
-Good looking film with one of the most well known soundtracks of the genre. I didn’t remember Piero Lulli was in it too, he looks weird as a mexican. 7/10

Managed to finally watch a nice uncut HD print of Il Grande Duello, I forgot how well done the stunt work and gunfights were. One of the things that wasn’t on the terrible VHS rip I watched years ago was the poor white horse getting his hooves pulled out from under him during the beginning chase scene. Totally caught me by surprise. They probably maimed it seeing as it landed on it’s neck full gallop.

Still, I really enjoyed it, and that fancy transfer really made a difference in the viewing experience for me.
Tomorrow I’m hoping to watch either Death Rides A Horse or possibly It Can Be Done Amigo.

I should give another chance, I guess. seen in theatres back then and again on VHS and DVD, but so far it has always struck me as one of those late spaghettis that failed to recreate the real feeling from the glory years (66-68). Still decent, with a nice detective story and some good action. Alright, but not the real thing

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2016 - A FISTFUL OF REAPPRAISALS: DAY 19

Right.

I was going to watch the film I missed on Thursday (Go With God, Gringo) tomorrow as part of a double-bill with tomorrow’s scheduled movie, but tomorrow’s scheduled movie forms a far better and more obvious double-bill with today’s pic. So, Go With God Gringo will, fittingly, be the sole Sunday sermon whereas Saturday has now been redubbed SABATAday as today’s pic - Sabata (Parolini, 1969) will now be followed swiftly by Sunday’s initial choice Adios Sabata (Parolini, 1970). Lee Van Cleef, Yul Brynner, and a thousand double-jointed acrobatic extras backflipping, cartwheeling and somersaulting to their delightfully overchoreographed deaths. Fantastic! In fact, I guess you could say that SABATAday Night’s Alright For (Gun)Fighting, eh? Eh? :heart_eyes: #Genius

‘SABATA’ & ‘ADIOS SABATA’…two of my favourites…

I first watched ‘SABATA’ in the BBC2 ‘Spaghetti Western Season’ of films. I loved it then, and thought it was very ‘Bondish’, and supremely cool…I still do!

Happy viewing, ‘Last Caress’!

Toscano.

They had this on dvdcompare.net

“Navajo Joe R2 United Kingdom- Optimum Releasing - Yes, cut by 0:06 by the BBFC.
“Distributor was required to remove two scenes of animal cruelty (cruel tripping of horses and cockfighting) in accordance with BBFC policy and Guidelines.””

Back on track: finished Diecimila dollari per un massacro today, found it as good as the first time. Continued with Il figlio di Django, my first SpagvemberFest film I hadn’t watched before: fairly entertaining low-budget affair with a confusing beginning. Revenger Django Junior (Gabriele Tinti) – yes, his father was murdered – surprisingly grants forgiveness in the end, spiritually guided by Father Fleming (Guy Madison). Edoardo Mulargia’s Non aspettare, Django, spara! (1967) features siblings Rada and Ivan Rassimov as sister and brother Django, whose father is shot dead in the film’s prologue. It’s easy to imagine what the rest is about. And tonight a “sotto-Django” closer to the original than the preceding five: Preparati la bara! (1968), directed by Ferdinando Baldi and starring pre-Trinità Terence Hill.

1 Like

20. Nest of Vipers In my alternative top 20, will not be in December.
22. Navajo Joe Neither will this one.
21. A Pistol for Ringo American western meets Italian western. Not the kind of SW I like at all; still I have developed a soft spot for this one. It got something, beside a beautiful score and a great title song, and you really get a feeling everybody on the set really enjoyed doing this one.
23. Hate for hate Mixed feelings about this. Starts out rather indifferently, and then grows on you. Feels somehow like a noir caper film set in the West.

Next:

Spagvemberfest 2016 Number 19

So yesterday’s entry was a film I have only seen once before, and that some time ago. Consequently it was genuinely like seeing a brand new film to me. The only thing I remembered about it was that Anthony Ghidra was the star. In truth, he is most definitely the best and most memorable thing in the film but it has some other flashes and interesting to see a spaghetti, rather than a German western, shot in Yugoslavia. It is Yugoslavia right? Looks kinda Winnetou-esque. Anyway, enjoyed it but probably the weakest overall film I’ve seen during this Spagvemberfest despite my man Ghidra.

1 Like