SpagvemberFest!

eh… I need to practise my reading I guess.

Anyway, as "production values" are so important to me I shall be watching [b][i]Find A Place To Die[/i][/b] later. ;D ;)
Not really a great one but at least with one great scene. I have a habit of watching the song/saloon scene alone from time to time.

Yeah, looking forward to that song and I’ve always had a soft spot for Jeff mumbling away into his drink in this… :slight_smile:

6: Ferroni: One Silver Dollar[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Dollaro_bucato,_Un[/url] (1965)
-Ferroni’s film ain’t bad but not great either, you could say it’s as good as Gemma is. Film leans on Gemma’s charm and his ability to do good action scenes. With some other actor it would be probably totally forgettable film 6/10

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:32, topic:3590”]Bandidos

I’m not sure whether this has made any of my previous top 20s (it wasn’t in my last one so I must’ve forgotten how good this is) but it is most certainly in now.
It is very nearly perfect - with only the very end barn stuff that didn’t fully engross me.[/quote]

Well Bandidos was my Spagvemberfest number 23 and my feelings are similar to the good Reverend’s except I thought the very end barny stuff was an excellent finale set piece; tense and beautifully shot. In fact, the whole film is beautifully composed and it is obvious that Dallamano has a cinematographer’s eye when directing. This is another one which must surely work its way higher on my list but what will make way remains to be seen. There’s a lot of great films still to watch this month.

7: Band: The Tramplers[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Uomini_dal_passo_pesante,_Gli[/url] (1965)
-This one is a favorite of mine from the early days. Good script about family torn apart with some good performances, especially by Cotten and Mitchum. 7/10

Agreed on both points.

Now - tonights choice Find A Place To Die was thunk about a great deal, 'specially as some of the big boys ain’t getting a look in. But, it’s done gone and earned its place I reckon.
This has everything… well, except a budget… and Almeria… and a bit of logic every now and again, but so what!!?
From its winking lizard start - with plunking, mournful guitar and wheezing trumpets - our sense of sadness and forboding leads us to a land where life is about the acquisition of sex and gold. But, (dodgy metaphor warning) a small seam of optimism, as rare and precious as the gold, runs through our story to counter the murder, torture and attempted rapes that make up the bedrock. :stuck_out_tongue:

Even better than all this, all three of my tacky, placcy, cacti-boys get starring roles just before we ride into… the song :-* - ahhh! And it is a truly beautiful moment… worth the price of admission alone, ain’t it Bill. :wink:

We’ve got 2 strong women, a hat-shooty homage, real vultures (couldn’t afford storks) and a protracted shoot out that just stays this side of boring… but all in all, it’s quite a remarkable film in my eyes. A sweaty, world-weary Jeff grunting into his whiskey to the Find a Place to Die song is one of my favorite things in the whole of spaghettidom.

I gave this 4 and a bit stars back in 2008, and I stand (if I still can) by that… that makes 17 or so points outa 20 - and that’s probably enough to see it toptwentying. We’ll see. As Phil says - some great films still to see! :smiley:

So I know OUATITW is considered by many as one of the (if not the) defining films of the genre, but it seems no-one understood this better than the Japanese distributors who simply named it “Western”. Talk about a nondescript and generic name… ;D

The Japanese title is indeed well-chosen. Note that the original (C’era una Volta il West) reads as Once upon a Time the West (not ‘in the west’).
The film was meant to be a meta western, so not simply a film about the West, but also about the representation of it in the movies called ‘westerns’. Both quintessential western themes are combined in the script: the revenge tale and the way the West was won (for civilisation).

This is my choice for today :slight_smile:

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2015 - THE BIG RUNDOWN: NUMBER 22

At #22, my movie for today is the wonderful Today It’s Me… Tomorrow It’s You! (Cervi, 1968), one of my favourite “Bunch o’ Men” movies and one which, on my Dutch Film Works DVD at least, trumpets Bud Spencer as the sole star of the film but which, for my money, is stolen from underneath everybody’s noses by the masterful Tatsuya Nakadai as the magnetic villain Elfego, from “Parts Unknown”. Is Elfego Chinese? Japanese? Mexican? South American? Half Mex, half-Asian? European? Buggered if I know, but he’s one of the spag universe’s more memorable bad guys, anyway. That’s not to say that everyone else isn’t top notch here, however. They are; Bret Halsey is excellent in the lead role and William Berger (among others) provides excellent support. Even a Bambino-like bar-room brawl sequence from Bud Spencer doesn’t derail the proceedings. This could well be another movie to force its way back into my Big 20.

8: Baldi: Texas, Addio[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Texas,_Addio[/url] (1966)
-I had not watched this one for years, might have been over 10 years. Well, it’s maybe film that’s too average. Not bad film in any way but apart from Nero in the lead there’s not much anything special that makes you wanna watch it often. I like the main theme and the music in general though. 6/10

For the moment my “SpagvemberFest” has worked fairly well.

Temporary standings are as follows:

1. Vengeance Is My Forgiveness
  2. This Man Can’t Die
  3. Revenge of the Resurrected
  4. Chapagua’s Gold

From today I will move to the films with lower ratings on IMDb (Wanted Johnny Texas, Four Gunmen of the Holy Trinity, Saranda, Fifth: You shall not murder and Four Candles for Garringo), it is better now instead of later! :wink:

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:72, topic:3590”]For the moment my “SpagvemberFest” has worked fairly well.
Saranda, Fifth: You shall not murder[/quote]

I remember you saying that Fifth is Quinto; but which one is Saranda also known as?

Twenty Paces to Death, with Dean Reed.

Ahh yes. Thanks. :slight_smile:

The first 10, ones in bold are first viewings

Bad Man’s River 6.5/10
Reverend Colt 6.5
The Silent Stranger 9.5
Those Dirty Dogs 8.5
Four Dollars for Vengeance 8
On the Third Day Arrived the Crow 4
Blindman 10
Pecos Cleans Up 8
More Dollars for the McGregors 7
Finders Killers 2.5

My first 10 watched also…

1. Cowards Don’t Pray 14.75
    2 Last of the Badmen 12
  2. Duel in the Eclipse 16.66
  3. Requiescant 16
  4. Bandidos 19
  5. Black Jack 16
  6. A Man Called Blade 14.5
  7. Keoma 4
  8. Find a Place to Die 17
  9. Shoot the Living…Pray For the Dead 15.5

No.10 has just been watched. I enjoyed it, but I don’t think with the competition still to come anything below 16 will stand a chance of toptwentiness.
I’m put in mind to watch Four Pistols for Trinity next. I remember it had some of the feel of STL…PFTD but better (well at least some) cactii. :slight_smile: And another i thought 4ish outa 5. So let’s see how this one compares…

Highlights of Shoot the Living…, the tense atmosphere; KK (who was a member of the KKK) becoming more deranged; Patrizia Adiutori (Sandy) :-* and Victoria Zinny (quicksandy). :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I wish you all the luck in the world …

Thank you for the support… ;D

Today I watched Saranda and despite a rather hurried ending on the whole I quite liked it (among other things I have always been a Maria Pia Giancaro fan).

9: Boccia: Kill or be Killed (1966)
-I had seen this before but didn’t remember a thing about it. There’s few good scenes like the gunfight at the beginning which was pleasantly surprising because I thought that the annoying and scene chewing blond guy was going to be the main villain of the film. Gordon Mitchell’s appearances are highlights of the film but they’re brief. Mostly film is just too boring. 4/10