SpagvemberFest!

[quote=“Phil H, post:17, topic:3590”]Spagvemberfest number 29
The Fury of Johnny Kid (Puccini / 1967)
[/quote]
It’s on my spagvember-list as well… to be seen within the next 8 days. Duel in the Eclipse next tho’. I can’t be waiting for the new version to come out - I’ll make do with my old 'un… :slight_smile:

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2015 - THE BIG RUNDOWN: NUMBER 28

Today I’m going to bundle myself up in a couple of duvets, cup a big mug of hot choccy in my hands and hunker down to one of the chilliest spags ever made (in every sense), one I believe you’ll probably all be watching at some stage in Spagvember if you’ve followed me down the “Rundown” route: At #28 on my list, it’s The Great Silence (Corbucci, 1968), in which the good guys are the bad guys, the bad guys are the good guys and a mute bounty hunter-hunting bounty hunter bounty-hunts some bounty hunters. Corbucci’s finest spag? Possibly (although, since I’ve got another four coming up in Spagvember I guess I wouldn’t personally agree). Klaus Kinski’s finest work in a spag? Almost certainly. Of course, following on from the success of The Great Silence, Loco and Silenzio went on to star in several other buddy pictures including Clerks, Mallrats and Dogma.

3: Reinl: The Last of the Mohicans/The Last Tomahawk[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Letzte_Mohikaner,_Der[/url] (1964)
Soldiers are defending a fort from mohican attacks. That’s basically the plot in this siege western, this sort of films were popular in pre-Leone years of the genre, I’ve seen quite many of these type films from the early years. I had not seen this eurowestern from Reinl before. It’s shot in Almeria instead of Yogoslavia and this makes it look more sw than his Winnetou films. Mohicans in the film have nice distinctive look instead of usual fake indians, historically it probably doesn’t make any sense to have them fighting soldiers in the late 19th century though. Anthony Steffen has his first western role as a Karl May type “man of the West” but sadly his role isn’t eventually that big.

4/10

Last seen in 2008…

Duel in the Eclipse - could this live up to the comments then… “Love it. Fantastic music to boot!” and a later comment refering to Nina’s “transparent gossamer thin blouse and pantaloons, clinging as they are to her creamy-white breasts and pert buttocks”… :o

I may redeem myself somewhat in Sir Stanton’s eyes now, because I am almost certain this one will make my new Top 20.

What else then - besides good music and womanly creaminess?
Well - a man’s time is forfeit for a swapped pocket watch; a woman strips to the thunderclaps of a dry storm; a bejewelled Alma (Femi Benussi), and her infidelities, are undone by an emerald…
Carranza (Sancho) is losing his grip on his men - and on reality - as everybody is getting spooked by the ‘Jaguar-man’. Brave Charley becomes kitten-cowardly; black-clad Corbin gets a dust-storm summoned for his duel and demise, and two-faced Tom interrupts his own funeral.

All not-so-jolly good stuff with weirdness and superstitiousness a-plenty, but hung together on a traditional one-after-another revenge format. Truly a unique take on the genre - as close as you’d get to a spooketti western! :stuck_out_tongue:

16.66 out of 20 - plus a lucky rabbit’s foot and a “good morning Captain” just to be on the safe side 8)

[b]Spagvemberfest 2015 number 28

Sabata (Parolini / 1969)[/b]

One of the first non-Leone spags I ever saw and a sentimental favourite as a result this film still has lots of elements to love. The jangly and uber catchy theme tune, a pre-70s Van Cleef sans wig and the combover of the century as modelled by super smarmy Franco Ressel. But, truth be told, as much as I am still fond of it I have been gradually pushing it down my Top Anything list for the past few years now. Once firmly placed in my top 20 it is currently only on the edge of my Top 30 and I suspect will probably drop out altogether by the end of the month. Fury of Johnny Kid will certainly leapfrog it and I daresay there are others which will too when I think about it. Still definitely enjoy it but maybe not as much as I used to.

[quote=“Phil H, post:25, topic:3590”][b]Spagvemberfest 2015 number 28

Sabata (Parolini / 1969)[/b]

One of the first non-Leone spags I ever saw and a sentimental favourite as a result this film still has lots of elements to love. The jangly and uber catchy theme tune, a pre-70s Van Cleef sans wig and the combover of the century as modelled by super smarmy Franco Ressel. But, truth be told, as much as I am still fond of it I have been gradually pushing it down my Top Anything list for the past few years now. Once firmly placed in my top 20 it is currently only on the edge of my Top 30 and I suspect will probably drop out altogether by the end of the month. Fury of Johnny Kid will certainly leapfrog it and I daresay there are others which will too when I think about it. Still definitely enjoy it but maybe not as much as I used to.[/quote]

More or less the same feelings here. I still find this a very pleasant film to watch, but something’s missing.
Last time i watched it, I thought of that word that is (or was) very popular among teenagers: Cool. Lee is cool, Banjo is cool, Ressel is cool, that execution room is cool, it’s all very cool, but that’s it. It’s not great.

Yes cool is the word :D. Made a huge pile of cash that film.

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2015 - THE BIG RUNDOWN: NUMBER 27

It’s a proverbial “Game of Two Halves” today, with another one of Klaus Kinski’s finest performances in Shoot the Living and Pray For the Dead (Vari, 1971), a movie located entirely in a way station, right up until it becomes located entirely in the desert. Described on this very site as “an oddity” and, well, I guess it is, and yet Shoot the Living and Pray For the dead in many ways screams “SPAGHETTI WESTERN!!” more than almost every other movie in the sub-genre. A very slow movie, this one, but pregnant with tension throughout.

4: Caiano: Bullets don’t Argue[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Pistole_non_discutono,_Le[/url] (1964)
-Very well made film but too “american” in style. Film has good tension but it’s gone at the moment when brilliant Horst Frank exits the picture. Thus the ending is the worst part of the film. Cameron is good as the sheriff, even though he’s maybe bit too old he has all the credibility needed for his role. Nice score by Morricone.

6/10

I’m done with the pre-Leone’s now. Maybe something different next.

[quote=“Phil H, post:25, topic:3590”]Sabata (Parolini / 1969)

One of the first non-Leone spags I ever saw and a sentimental favourite as a result this film still has lots of elements to love… But, truth be told, as much as I am still fond of it I have been gradually pushing it down my Top Anything list for the past few years now. Once firmly placed in my top 20…

Fury of Johnny Kid will certainly leapfrog it…[/quote]

I know what you mean Phil, I’m a bit sentimental about this as well (and Adios Sabata. Years ago, when I had maybe only 30 spags (and this was of course one of the few films that were easily available), it was probably been top 20 material - or at least top 30 :wink: - but those days are gone.

And I think that Fury OJK will get automatic top 20 for me as well, partly cos I gave it 5 stars recently, and partly cos I can’t find the little blighter at the mo.

Anyway - I’m ahead of the game cos I watched another yesterday. Half before I went out to visit my flock, and the final bit after a few looseners :slight_smile: which seems to be the way forward. (So, I could take a day off or go off-genre with Bridgit Jones’ Diary or Pretty Woman, or even Naked Nuns 3 - but I’ll probably catch another as I’m out visiting again later.)

Requiescant - Kill and Pray

Another fave from quite a while back, that’s been bubbling under (if not once making it?) onto my Top 20. How could I not love a film that starts with it’s very first frame showcasing my favourite placcy-cacti, and then giving one a gorgeouse close up in all its tacky-cactusness!? And this is shot in front of the tatty old fort that I’ve been banging on about, having just seen it in Cowards Don’t Pray and Killer Kid. And talking of Killer Kid, I reckon this could make it as well - I gave it an easy 4 stars last week, and thet could be enough. I’m quite partial to Zapata-ry westerns and I prefer this over the 2 Corbucci big boys - which in my view are too long, too long-winded and too cartoony. Gotta say I love the showdowns in both, but they’ve lost some of their appeal and would only get 3 and a half stars apiece I reckon these days.

Back to K&P - Luisa Baratto who won me over in KK plays the smokingly hot maid with the candlesticks here - in the great drunken shooty game. And there’s the other game - the shoot the legs of the stool/hangman’s noose nonsense as well to add to the fun.
so - I still like this film - a lot.
I like the playfulness, and the dark stuff. I like the details - the padded cell for Damon’s wife, whilst he goes off smooching up to Blondie. I like the pace, I like the biblical and the political facets. But… it still ain’t gonna make it Top 20-wise though. I remember Shobary thinking this boring and having not much spaghetti feel, and I couldn’t agree less - this is thoroughly entertaining and spaghetti-esque.

Still 4 stars, or (16 out of 20 for the purpose of Spagvember… but I don’t think that’ll be enough this time around.

Huge favourite of mine, this one. I’ll be watching it in Spagvember for sure, but not until the final week. I hope that Santa will be bringing me the upcoming Arrow blu-ray for Christmas, too. Well, I say “Santa”, I mean mrs.caress. And I say “hope”, I mean “Get me that facking movie, woman, or I’ll throw an EastEnders-level strop at the Christmas Dinner table and superkick the turkey into the window, where it’ll stick for a minute before sliding down the pane making a sort-of ‘Rooooinnk!’ noise as it goes”.

;D There’s a few chickens thrown about in this… and my plan went wrong, so good was this that I watched it in one sitting.

Bandidos

I’m not sure whether this has made any of my previous top 20s (it wasn’t in my last one so I must’ve forgotten how good this is) but it is most certainly in now.
It is very nearly perfect - with only the very end barn stuff that didn’t fully engross me.
Unlike some, I loved the casting of everybody - and having seen Sir Sancho playing the same-ish character in a fair few lately, it was great to see Heurta get a go instead. The scene with the fellah dying in the bar and finding time for a bit of art appreciation (Delacroix’s Death of Sardanapalus) was sublime.

I’m with Brother Bill when he says on it’s thread “one of the greatest sw’s ever done” - but then he offers “still not close to the masterful…” and when Stanton says “It’s a good SW, but OuTW plays in another league” sort of backs up what I’ve been trying to say. I give this one nearly top marks… (5 out of 5 certainly and maybe 19 out of 20 - losing a point for the ending only) - but whereas this has the spaghetti-feel in abundance, I have to disagree to say that OUATITW seems too ‘grand’ in comparison for the genre and loses some of that spaghetti-feel… and not all, obviously! (Oh bollocks!! ;))

From the very beginning I was hooked. Sandwiched between the opening wonkily epic trumpets, all mexi and quivery, and the haunting song thats played over the tracking shot of the train, lie the dead innocents, the women and children caught up in the brutal and best filmed massacre of the genre. I swear I got all moist n’ misty (and I ain’t talkin’ Luisa Baratto here). :wink:

Top 10 stuff this time around for sure and I’m wonderin’ how high it’ll go? There can’t be many that could beat it. I was obviously in the mood for this, this eve - but I suppose another time and it might be a slightly more humourous slice of spag-pie might be to my taste. I was thinking Dallas maybe Brother Jonathan? ;D :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:32, topic:3590”];D There’s a few chickens thrown about in this… and my plan went wrong, so good was this that I watched it in one sitting.

Bandidos

Top 10 stuff this time around for sure and I’m wonderin’ how high it’ll go? There can’t be many that could beat it. I was obviously in the mood for this, this eve - but I suppose another time and it might be a slightly more humourous slice of spag-pie might be to my taste. I was thinking Dallas maybe Brother Jonathan? ;D :stuck_out_tongue: ;)[/quote]

Top 10 for me as well, but yes, Once Upon a Time in the West plays in another league
But if I’m not mistaken, Bill said something about these two movies being different from all the rest and still having all the right ingredients

And yes: try Dallas/Scopone if you’re in for something completely different, I’ll sure it’ll make your Top 10.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:33, topic:3590”]Top 10 for me as well, but yes, Once Upon a Time in the West plays in another league
But if I’m not mistaken, Bill said something about these two movies being different from all the rest and still having all the right ingredients[/quote]

Yep I know how fond you are of this scherpy, and I’m with you about it (interesting review btw :slight_smile: ). And yep again, Bill did indeed say they both had that spaghettiness - I wasn’t fully agreeing with this bit though.

(Edit - I’m off for a pint or 3 before Stanton spots this heretical stuff :wink: )

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:32, topic:3590”];D There’s a few chickens thrown about in this… and my plan went wrong, so good was this that I watched it in one sitting.

Bandidos

I’m not sure whether this has made any of my previous top 20s (it wasn’t in my last one so I must’ve forgotten how good this is) but it is most certainly in now.
It is very nearly perfect - with only the very end barn stuff that didn’t fully engross me.
Unlike some, I loved the casting of everybody - and having seen Sir Sancho playing the same-ish character in a fair few lately, it was great to see Heurta get a go instead. The scene with the fellah dying in the bar and finding time for a bit of art appreciation (Delacroix’s Death of Sardanapalus) was sublime.

I’m with Brother Bill when he says on it’s thread “one of the greatest sw’s ever done” - but then he offers “still not close to the masterful…” and when Stanton says “It’s a good SW, but OuTW plays in another league” sort of backs up what I’ve been trying to say. I give this one nearly top marks… (5 out of 5 certainly and maybe 19 out of 20 - losing a point for the ending only) - but whereas this has the spaghetti-feel in abundance, I have to disagree to say that OUATITW seems too ‘grand’ in comparison for the genre and loses some of that spaghetti-feel… and not all, obviously! (Oh bollocks!! ;))

From the very beginning I was hooked. Sandwiched between the opening wonkily epic trumpets, all mexi and quivery, and the haunting song thats played over the tracking shot of the train, lie the dead innocents, the women and children caught up in the brutal and best filmed massacre of the genre. I swear I got all moist n’ misty (and I ain’t talkin’ Luisa Baratto here). :wink:

Top 10 stuff this time around for sure and I’m wonderin’ how high it’ll go? There can’t be many that could beat it. I was obviously in the mood for this, this eve - but I suppose another time and it might be a slightly more humourous slice of spag-pie might be to my taste. I was thinking Dallas maybe Brother Jonathan? ;D :stuck_out_tongue: ;)[/quote]

Looking forward to catching up with this one later in the month. But for today it’s…

The Ruthless Four (Capitani / 1968)

Like LC’s latest viewing (Shoot the Living) this one is low on action and all about the slow burn. A great cast and a perfect role for Kinski this film is a spaghetti rarity; one that focuses on character and takes it’s time about it. As such, sometimes it doesn’t feel so much like a spag at all but it is and a very good one in my book. Solid top 30 and could possibly challenge the top 20 although it’s got some steep competition coming up. Nice change of pace anyway and still a firm favourite. I only wish there was a good quality release out there. It certainly deserves it.

The Koch Media release is great, definitely still in my top 20

SPAGVEMBERFEST 2015 - THE BIG RUNDOWN: NUMBER 26

What is it with California?

California Girls, California Dreams, California Dreamin’, Kalifornia, Californication, Dani California, California Man, California Love, Going Back to Cali, California Über Alles, Hotel California, The California Kid, Sweet Home Alabama - no, hang on, not that one - but, you know what I mean…

At number 26, it’s California (Lupo, 1977).

By 1977 the Spaghetti Western was choking its last breath. Revisionist US westerns, police procedurals, Summer blockbusters, Great White sharks and now lazer-sword-wielding farmhands in spaceships blowing up man-made planetoids were all far more in vogue. And that’s a shame because, too late, the spag western industry had begun to abandon the piss-taking parodies it had been churning out for the previous five or six years and returned to the grit of a decade earlier, and one or two of the genre’s finest examples of its type appeared in this twilight phase. California was certainly in that bracket and it also brought things full circle for early spag superstar Giuliano Gemma, who didn’t appear to have aged a day since A Pistol For Ringo.

Well I guess this is one of my SpaghVemberfest entries :wink:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Get_Mean/BluRay

Ok doesn’t quite count but I saw the pilot episode for Amazon Studios’ EDGE tv series… probably gonna write a bit more about it tomorrow.

It’ll be in mine - but it was no.11 on my last list… I am so looking forward to seeing this one again 8)

Tonight was the turn of Black Jack. It’s been popping in and out of my top 20 - but never really nailed it’s place on - unlike Jack Murphy’s hand to the bar. Watching it tonight was another game of two halfs, as I went to the pub inbetweeny… well after all it was Kipper Dave’s pie-night (don’t ask!) - it’s like a bleedin’ farmers market in my local, and it makes some of them bars tonight look nearly normal.

I can’t say anymore yet, cos I need to digest what I’ve just seen (and drunk) - but a forthcoming review-ette will be arriving on the morrow… hic. However, unless I think it was all a bad dream, it probably will make it back into my Top 20. :slight_smile: