Searching Titles On the DB

The SWDB is a mere ripp off :wink:

I usually go to the list with English titles, itā€™s not complete, but more complete than any of the other lists.

yeah, I know there are ways around itā€¦ but the question is, can it be fixed? :wink:

ā€¦And Iā€™m not trying to be nit picky hereā€¦ there are times when its really needed with some rare titles, and sometimes they have almost identical titles as other filmsā€¦ gets very confusing when you canā€™t bring it up on a search

plus Iā€™m sure its off-putting to new users

If its one of those things that is too much trouble, thatā€™s understoodā€¦ but if it can be fixed, would be a major improvement IMO

if anyone can tell me what type of search engine the DB uses, I can try to find some info on it

[quote=ā€œautephex, post:12, topic:2071ā€]ā€¦And Iā€™m not trying to be nit picky hereā€¦ there are times when its really needed with some rare titles, and sometimes they have almost identical titles as other filmsā€¦ gets very confusing when you canā€™t bring it up on a search

plus Iā€™m sure its off-putting to new users

If its one of those things that is too much trouble, thatā€™s understoodā€¦ but if it can be fixed, would be a major improvement IMO[/quote]

You are not being nit picky mate, I have been having the same problem and it is a pain in the arse. Not sure why it is doing this but wonder whether it is linked to a recent ā€˜upgradeā€™ Seb did. Donā€™t really know why but you are right about new users. Us old hands can work around it. A newbie is likely to just give up.

It works for me.

Silence, when you search for ā€œThey Came To Kill Sartanaā€ - it brings up the film page for you?

I was wondering this also. It seems like I remember not having problems with the search in the past. It used to bring up a list of results, and usually you would have to look through them for the page you need, but it still included the film page in the results. Now it usually doesnā€™t give me any results at all and just says ā€œno matchesā€

There was a change in the last week.
If I check now the differences of the recent changes in the database, then these differences are indicated in a different way. And since then the search function also isnā€™t what it was before.

So I think Seb has changed something and he now has to fix the search function (and maybe more). Unfortunately he isnā€™t around that often anymore.

This is the same for me.

Searching in the db has always been a messy affair. Some of it has surely something to do with the fact that data arenā€™t relational in the usual sense but are merely a bunch of semi-dependent masses of text pages that happen to link to each other. A more refined search page (seperate search fields for title, actor, director etc.) would have been nice but Iā€™m pretty sure it is impossible the way data are (or actually arenā€™t) structured.

Please give me a kick if Iā€™m off.

Yes, I noticed the difficulty too. Itā€™s usually easier to find a film when you type just a part of the name, for example I tried to look for ā€œColt in the hand of the devilā€. with the whole name I got no results but if I type just ā€œdevilā€ i got some search results where the right one is easy to find.

Thatā€™s why I thougt ā€œWhat is this site missing all titles?ā€ about two years ago when I was new ;).

[quote=ā€œSĆøren, post:20, topic:2071ā€]Searching in the db has always been a messy affair. Some of it has surely something to do with the fact that data arenā€™t relational in the usual sense but are merely a bunch of semi-dependent masses of text pages that happen to link to each other. A more refined search page (seperate search fields for title, actor, director etc.) would have been nice but Iā€™m pretty sure it is impossible the way data are (or actually arenā€™t) structured.

Please give me a kick if Iā€™m off.[/quote]

It seems to me that surely it can be fixed. I would have to look more into MediaWiki to really be able to say that for sureā€¦ but I believe its the same software used by Wikipedia isnā€™t it? And its no trouble at all to find stuff on Wikipedia

But wonā€™t it just be like now, one giant global search? Meaning that if I want to search for a title only it wonā€™t be possible.

What I was thinking was something like they got on The Internet Speculative Fiction Database:

http://www.isfdb.org

Check the filter controls to the left where you are given the opportunity to search for a specific thing in the db.

This is only possible with structured data and I thought this db and all that wikipedia stuff were unstructured data !? Looks like it anyways :slight_smile:

I usually search for stuff at least a couple of times when cannot find something. Sometimes I get lucky.

[quote=ā€œSĆøren, post:24, topic:2071ā€]But wonā€™t it just be like now, one giant global search? Meaning that if I want to search for a title only it wonā€™t be possible.

This is only possible with structured data and I thought this db and all that wikipedia stuff were unstructured data !? Looks like it anyways :)[/quote]

Well, when you go to wikipedia, and use the search bar, it works very well. For example, I just went there and did a search on popcorn and it takes me directly to the page for popcorn. If there are multiple possible pages it will bring a list up. For example, search for ā€œitalian pastaā€ and it will bring a list of DB pages up for you

The filter controls on searches would be nice also

in principle, what works best ist to do a google search of the swdb by entering something like ā€œsite:spaghetti-western.net your search termā€ into google. i also have a custom google search of the swdb in place, but i havent had time to properly integrate it. but please post if youā€™re having trouble locating specific movies/people/terms and we incrementally introduce certain workaroundsā€¦