Savage Pampas / Pampa salvaje (Hugo Fregonese, 1966)

Would be sweet. Now all I need is a player to play it on and a tv to watch it on :slight_smile:

The correct aspect ratio for a film shot in Superpanorama 70 is 2,2:1 – not to be confused with Ultra Panavision 70, which yields an aspect ratio of 2,76:1, as used by Tarantino for The Hateful Eight. I’ve watched two versions of Pampa salvaje, running 94 respectively 110 minutes, and in both the opening credits appear in the proper aspect ratio. Then the frame is vertically enlarged, resulting in missing image-information left and right.

Please note that those images were – for obvious reasons – not taken from the upcoming DVD/BD/4K UHD BD release but from an MKV file. Will the Busch Media Group discs present the film in its correct aspect ratio? Will they have English audio? And how long will they run? Pressing questions upon pressing questions.

seems so:
http://in70mm.com/news/2016/pampas/index.htm

Yes, thanks, I read your previous post. But we’ve learned to be suspicious …

Hmmm, the whole 70mm thing is exciting especially when combined with the Argentinian locale. Is it worth a blind-buy?

Yup - it’s due to using anamorphic lenses with 70mm film (much like how 35mm gives 1.85:1 with normal lenses or 2.35:1 with anamorphic ones).

I was really skeptical about Tarantino’s use of Ultra Panavision for “The Hateful Eight” - had he never seen “The Rules of the Game”? In the end, I had to eat my words as somehow it was really effective in a setting which logically would have suggested a much tighter frame.

I think so. As I wrote on another thread:

As it seems, it will have an English audio as well. Looking forward to this one-

I haven’t really compared the 94 and 110 minutes versions, meaning: watched them simultaneously, but most omissions concern, as scherpschutter indicates in his film review, various characters’ backstories, most prominently lovely Lucy’s pregnancy and death.

Two scenes featuring Isabel Pisano – later to become journalist, author and Yasser Arafat’s companion – missing from the shorter version of Savage Pampas

I will be getting a review copy

I’m not interested in a cut version. They should have at least added the uncut version as subtitled bonus.

Please let me know which scenes I should check whether they are in. I now have the BluRay (regular version, I do not own a 4K system). I can confirm that there is English audio (German with English subtitles where unavailable) and it sounds pretty great. The sharpness, contrast and colors of the transfer are amazing, but there is plenty of dirt, speckles and other stuff that is noticeable. Overall I think the image looks rather amazing though (55" HD screen).

Hey, great, that was quick. What is the film’s runtime on BD? It was announced as 94 minutes. If that is the case, all the scenes mentioned above would be absent. And in which aspect ratio is it presented? 2,2:1 would be the proper one.

Not sure about the aspect ratio to be honest (doesnt look superwide)… but the runtime seems to be 94min. However, music starts over black screen, like an overture…

It shouldn’t look extremely wide since 2.20:1 is not as wide as your average 2.35:1 flick (very common aspect ratio and usually the widest things go). However, there should still be clearly noticeable black-bars top and bottom:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=21007&position=1

The first two images in my post 28 are in the correct aspect ratio of 2,2:1. According to the Al!ve website, the film is presented on BD in an aspect ratio of 16:9 (1,78:1).

Thanks. Will check again tonight and report. Just to make it clear: i think it looks amazing all things considered. The only weakness of the release seems to be lack of extras.

16:9 means mostly only that it is anamorph enhanced. Could be here still the original 2,2:1, or an adjusted 1,85:1 or 1,78:1.

I’m sure it will be the original 2,2:1 aspect ratio.

Soon we will know …

The T.V print I have with full english audio for a running time of 1hour and 50 mins starts off in 2,.35: 1 ratio and then drops down to 2,.2: 1 ratio:

Image looks horizontally stretched. 2,20:1 should be the original aspect ratio, not 2,35:1

Those pictures are definitely stretched. But they are in 2.20:1 … If you resize them to 1.85:1 they look ok, so my guess is the tv-print is a stretched 1.85:1 print.