Recommendations of SW Books?

Thanks! I couldnt find that topic.

Oh yeah, I remember some strange theory about the incest that made me wonder what the hell. Must check it out when back home.

Cox sure has a lot of weird ideas. He sees gays in a hand shake (as said somewhere before on his forum) and whatever in whatever!

Some tiny gays then

;D

Anyone have this book ?

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Actors-Spaghetti-Westerns-James-Prickette/dp/1469144271[/url]

It looks good. Dan Van Husen actually wrote a positive review for it on Amazon. Somewhat uncomprehensive though, as it only devotes chapters on a select few people, Steffen, Gemma and many others are omitted.

Surprising considering how many westerns these chaps starred in.

Well, a nobody hardly important that he was omitted, it’s not like he was the most popular star of SWs or anything close to it…

Well, 14 out of 17 Gemma westerns are present in the 50 most successful SWs in Italy according to admissions, 13 of them in the first 36 positions, and this inside a genre composed of around 450 films…

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,1105.0.html

Here is a list of actors profiled in the book:

Walter Barnes, William Berger, Rory Calhoun, Clint Eastwood, James Coburn, Chuck Connors, Jack Elam, Michael Forest, Franco and Ciccio, Mickey Hargitay, Richard Harrison, John Ireland, Klaus Kinski, Mikey Knox, Guy Madison, Gordon Mitchell, Wayde Preston, Dean Reed, Gilbert Roland, Mark Stevens, Lee Van Cleef, Larry Ward, Women of Spaghetti Westerns

Kinda wierd huh? The majority of these guys are not even particularly known for their SWs, was Rory Calhoun ever in an SW?

Among the SW notables that that the book does not devote chapters to are Garko, Gemma, Steffen, Hill and Spencer, Hilton, Milian, Volonte, Nero, Brega, Fajardo, Wallach, Wolf.

This book hardly qualifies as a “SW Book” although it may still have some interesting information regarding those that are covered so I’ll hold out on discounting this book completely.

Rory Calhoun starred in a euro western Finger On The Trigger.

Put me off from making a purchase of the book considering who has not been included.

I want to get a book or two on Spaghetti Westerns and I originally decided on getting Thomas Weisser’s book because of the scope, but had some second thoughts after having bought two of his books on Japanese Films (“Cult Classics” and “Sci-F & Fantasy”). And also reading the kind words this site had to say about his book.
So now I have it narrowed down to these three

Any Gun Can Play: The Essential Guide to Euro Westerns
Once Upon a Time in the Italian West
Spaghetti Westerns: Cowboys and Europeans

After perusing this site and searching high and low, I am leaning towards “Any Gun Can Play”. But can anyone give me a more educated opinion? One thing I would is a list of most of not all Spaghetti Westerns released, and since I am an uncultured heathen it has to be in English because I don’t speak any other language.

The Weisser book is more than severely flawed - ok in its time maybe - but you’d get more truth from the database.
The Django, Sartana, Ringo book is good - used to be cheap but I don’t know now tho’ - there’s a thread somewhere around thes parts to stick your photo on - with your version… (there’s a number, maybe 4, different covers). This is a thread which could do with reviving. :wink:
The Glittering Images set are fantastic but probably almost unattainable now…

I don’t think that you could go wrong with the Howard Hughes Once Upon a Time in the Italian West book - he’s got a great selection of the favourites in there. Only thing is - they’re so full of spoilers that you need to read each chapter AFTER seeing the film.
Great book though.

[quote=“Lt. Brannigan, post:52, topic:2168”]I want to get a book or two on Spaghetti Westerns and I originally decided on getting Thomas Weisser’s book because of the scope, but had some second thoughts after having bought two of his books on Japanese Films (“Cult Classics” and “Sci-F & Fantasy”). And also reading the kind words this site had to say about his book.
So now I have it narrowed down to these three

Any Gun Can Play: The Essential Guide to Euro Westerns
Once Upon a Time in the Italian West
Spaghetti Westerns: Cowboys and Europeans

After perusing this site and searching high and low, I am leaning towards “Any Gun Can Play”. But can anyone give me a more educated opinion? One thing I would is a list of most of not all Spaghetti Westerns released, and since I am an uncultured heathen it has to be in English because I don’t speak any other language.[/quote]

All 3 books you mention are worth having but if it is your first and you are looking for something pretty comprehensive I would strongly recommend Any Gun Can Play. Kevin Grant did a fantastic job on that. Really accessible and well informed.

The Rev knows his stuff. I second Phil’s suggestion. As a sidenote some of Grant’s books (paperback) were released with missing and scrambled appendices, so if you order be sure and check these out immediately (hopefully these have been recalled).

I’ve not got this one - but I’d go with his choice, Lieutenant.
I know Phil actually reads this stuff - I really just look at the pictures.

Edit - [quote=“Carlos, post:55, topic:2168”]The Rev knows his stuff. I second Phil’s suggestion.[/quote]

Ha ha - this came in just before I posted - yep - look for Phil’s, (as will I) and also the Hughes one don’t have pictures.

Yes, lovely books.

Awesome thanks for the help. I will start with Any Gun Can Play.

I really like Once Upon a Time in the Italian West: The Filmgoer’s Guide to Spaghetti Westerns by Howard Hughes.

I used to think that Weisser’s book was the worst SW book ever written. I was wrong, for sheer crappiness, Django-Ringo-Sartana is the bottom of the barrel. Sure, the pictures are nice, but the actual written text consists of a bunch of film reviews that makes Shobary look like Roger Ebert. No research, no history, no insight, no social commentary, no deep analysis beyond how many kills or how naked the woman are. The author claims he’s been watching SWs since the 70s but the book is written with the maturity level of a 13 year old. Pure shit.

;D I did say that I just look at the pictures.