R.I.P. Legends Lost but Remembered

NOOOO! :frowning:

R.I.P. Sergio, thanks for the Spags.

R.I.P. SERGIO SOLLIMA

Everyone else has said it all about the Great Manā€¦what a sad year this is becoming!

R.I.P. VAL DOONICAN

Irish singer and TV entertainer, Val Doonican, has died aged 88.

His family said he died ā€œpeacefullyā€ at a nursing home in Buckinghamshire. He had not been ill, but his daughter said his ā€œbatteries had just run outā€.

The performer was a regular fixture on TV with The Val Doonican show which ran on the BBC from 1965 to 1986, featuring his own performances and guest artists.

He was also rarely out of the UK charts in the 1960s and '70s with songs like Walk Tall and Elusive Butterfly.

In the album chart, he had five successive top 10 records and even knocked The Beatlesā€™ Sgt Pepperā€™s Lonely Hearts Club Band off the top spot in 1967 with Val Doonican Rocks, But Gently.

R.I.P. VAL DOONICAN

R.I.P. Used to watch his show years ago, not sure why now though.

R.I.P.

I remember my Nan watching him when I was a kid and heā€™d sing, thatā€™s about it.

RIP Jacques Sernas. The Lithuanian born actor died in Rome today July 3rd, a few weeks short of his 90th birthday. Born Jurgis Bernard Å ernas on July 30, 1925 Sernas escaped with his family to France after his father had taken part in the 1918 Lithuanian Act of Independence. He became an actor after WWII and appeared in over 100 films and TV appearances from 1947 ā€“ 2006. He appeared in La Dolce Vita in 1960. His only Euro-western appearances was as Major Saunders along with Giuliana Gemma in 1966ā€™s Fort Yuma Gold.

R.I.P Sergioā€¦

Just read the news, Omar Sharif dead at the age of 83

One of the last greats

RIP Mr Sharif

Itā€™s sad that so many great actors and other great names are currently passing awayā€¦ they seem to drop like flies.

RIP Mr Sharif

Thats a shame. R.I.Pā€¦such a laid back dude.

R.I.P. Omar

RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper :ā€™( :ā€™(.

Thats a shameā€¦R.I.P

Absolutely distraught to hear this.

Roderick George Toombs, better known as ā€œRowdyā€ Roddy Piper, was one of my top 3 all time favourite wrestlers. He was the unchallenged blueprint for how to be the heel, work the mic and generate previously uncharted levels of crowd heat. He was a ā€œcoolā€ wrestler with a perfect understanding of ā€œAttitudeā€ before ā€œAttitudeā€ had so much as crossed anyone elseā€™s minds. WAY tougher than he looked (and, like Steve Austin, considerably more technically adept than his preferred brawling style often demonstrated), he was the guy Vince went to when Vince needed a credible, genuine and constant threat to his new Golden Boy Hulk Hogan, someone who could get the world on the edge of its seat and screaming for the Hulkster, someone who would test Hulk, legitimize him and establish him definitively as the superhero Vince wanted Hulk to become; something the title alone couldnā€™t do. Piper pushed Hogan beyond what was considered possible up until then, and that pushed the WWF out beyond its territory and across the globe.

But Piper had a gift that couldnā€™t be denied, even in the service of putting the 24-inch pythons over, brother: His ability on the mic was astonishing. Way smarter than anyone else out there, coherent, interesting, always came to bear, always had edge, menace, and could devolve into a vicious assault at any time. Donā€™t look away, for f*ckā€™s sake! So good, they had to devote an entire segment of every show to Piperā€™s riotous motormouth. So good, theyā€™ve spent the thirty years since trying to replicate what he did, and never quite hitting it. So good, he transcended the belts, never given a run at the top and only receiving an IC run as a late acknowledgement towards the end of his full-time wrestling career. Why be the new World Champ when youā€™re busy seeing off three decades of talent desperately trying to become the new Roddy Piper?

But when he stopped talking, he could back it up. He was a fighter who made you take notice, sniffing for blood. Assault people with coconuts? Yes sir! Fancy a change from the more conventional pins, submissions and countouts? How about beating his opponent until the ref has to stop the match? Iā€™d never seen that until I saw Roddy do it to some jobber on Superstars of Wrestling or similar. And talking of things Iā€™d never seen, I still recall the feeling of dumbstruck bemusement which pinned me in place as I watched Roddy and Greg Valentine contest a ā€œDog Collar Chainā€ match (on a ropey VHS US Wrestling compilation tape, not a WWF broadcast. God, no!). This was back when US Wrestling was still so new that leaping off the top rope or fighting outside the ring was still incredible to me. I couldnā€™t believe what these guys were putting themselves through.

And he even bucked the trend when he ventured outside of the WWF and into the movies. Hogan gave us No Holds Barred and proved that he will never be anything but a dazzling corporate wrestling facade, Piper gave us They Live, and a lesson in action movie understatement which shouldā€™ve propelled him up past the biggest action stars in Hollywood at that time. I guess Hell Comes to Frogtown in the same year was possibly a step backwards but, still: They Live!

He replied to me once, on Twitter. Pulled me up when I posited my childhood disappointment at finding out that he was a Canadian, not a Glaswegian. Still ranks as far and away my favourite bit of starstruck internet geekery.

Iā€™m watching my Born to Controversy: The Roddy Piper Story DVD as I write this. My son stopped watching to play upstairs with the cat and my missus has sunk into her Kindle having been a little swamped I guess with a tidal wave of Piperā€™s Pits. Just as well really since that Bagpipe entrance theme, which has ALWAYS made the hairs on my arms stand on end in barely-contained excitement, has made me well up likeā€¦ I dunno, a big twat. What? No, Iā€™m NOT about to start snivelling, my eyes are just hurting where Iā€™m concentrating on this fucking post Iā€™ve overcooked as fucking usual! Stop staring at me!

I ordered a Hot Rod shirt off of Amazon the other day. When it shipped, he was still alive. He was dead before it got here. I donā€™t know what thatā€™s got to do with anything; it just doesnā€™t seem right, somehow.

61ā€™s no age. And this is one of those ones like Rik Mayall or Randy Savage where, no matter how many times I look at the headlines confirming that Roddy Piper has died, the information doesnā€™t process.

Thanks for everything, Roddy. Iā€™d ask you to Rest in Peace but that doesnā€™t sound likely, eh? :slight_smile:

R.I.P. GEORGE COLE

Actor George Cole, best known for playing used-car salesman Arthur Daley in the television series ā€˜Minderā€™, has died aged 90.

The British starā€™s career spanned 70 years and also included the role of Flash Harry in the early St Trinianā€™s films.

Cole was made an ā€˜OBEā€™ in 1992, and released his autobiography, ā€˜The World Was My Lobsterā€™, in 2013.

R.I.P GEORGE COLE

R.I.P. Arfur

Swiss born actress Katia Loritz died of lung cancer in Madrid, Spain on August 16th. She was 83.

Born on November 4, 1932 in Arbon, Switzerland, she trained in Germany, the actress moved to Spain in the mid-1950s and became a regular in the Spanish films of the late 1950s and 1960s. Katia retired from the screen in late 1960s only to make a return in appearance in Pedro Almodovarā€™s 1984 film ĀæQuĆ© hecho yo para merecer esto?. During her last years she devoted herself to painting and held several exhibits. Loritz appeared in only one Euro-western 1964ā€™s Joe Dexter as Susan Lee/Mary Blue.

R.I.P. WES CRAVEN

American horror film director Wes Craven, creator of the ā€˜Nightmare on Elm Streetā€™ franchise, ā€™ Deadly Blessingsā€™, ā€˜The People Under the Stairsā€™, and ā€˜Last House on the Leftā€™ - amongst others - has died at his home in Los Angeles, aged 76, reportedly from brain cancer.

One of the horror greatsā€¦R.I.P.

R.I.P. WES CRAVEN.

And how could I possibly forget the classic ā€˜THE HILLS HAVE EYESā€™ā€¦