Quentin Tarantino fans

My two favorite LIVING directors are probably Hayao Miyazaki and Quentin Tarantino (last year was a good year for me, ;D )…

For GENRE lovers, like I’d suspect SW fans are, I’d imagine KILL BILL v.1 and INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS would be the bees knees (heck, 90% of the soundtracks are FROM SW films). But JACKIE BROWN is definitely Tarantino’s most understated, actor/plot based film (of course, it’s based on the novel “Rum Punch” by the great Western/Crime author, Elmore Leonard).

My off the cuff rankings…

Reservoir Dogs: 4 & 1/2 out of 5
Pulp Fiction: 5 out of 5
Jackie Brown: 4 out of 5
Kill Bill v.1: 4 & 1/2 out of 5
Kill Bill v.2: 5 out of 5
Death Proof: 4 out of 5
Inglourious Basterds: 4 & 1/2 out of 5

Yeah, I kinda like his films, lol.

My tastes in all forms of art leans towards the openly derivative. It’s like King Solomon said, “There is nothing new under the sun.” I mean, to people with lots of cinema knowledge, I’m sure STAR WARS (the original) looked like a real hodge-podge of Kurosawa, Searchers, Wizard of Oz, etc., but it retains it’s individuality by being the only film at that time that combined all those specific elements. It’s the same with Quentin’s work. I saw INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS in a large theater, with a big age-range, but plenty of 20-30 year olds (later saw it when all the seniors saw it, what a blast!), and lemme tell ya, when Quentin introduces Hugo Stiglitz with a 70’s splash font and fuzz guitar and the Blaxploitation narration by Sam Jackson, we ALL laughed. But we laughed WITH Quentin, because we all instantly felt the “bad a$$” reputation before the first frame of his backstory was shown.

Homage isn’t for everyone, but I prefer an intentional awareness of what came before, than a pompous attempt to pretend your idea’s 100% original. The SW genre itself is derivative of past works and another culture’s experiences. “Pop Will Eat Itself”.

Of course, that having been said, Hayao Miyazaki’s work sure seems to just flow from the collective unconscious with little to no obvious pre-existing influences, lol.

~Dakota

I really hope Tarantino makes a Spaghetti Style Western soon he gives enough nods to them in his films…

anyone else think he got the famous Ear scene from Resevoir Dogs from Django ?

Always thought so and is the Django one more graphic ?, as not viewed Resevoir Dogs in a while.

I dunno I mean todays films the blood is darker & more realistic… but I think there about on par…

[quote=“natos99, post:142, topic:613”]I really hope Tarantino makes a Spaghetti Style Western soon he gives enough nods to them in his films…

anyone else think he got the famous Ear scene from Resevoir Dogs from Django ?[/quote]Tarantino has sai that Inglourious Basterds is “his Spaghetti Western. It is a Spaghetti Western with a WWII iconography.” But you never know. I just hope IB hasn’t satisfied his taste in making Westerns.

Now that you mention it Kill Bill is pretty much a Spaghetti Western to (revenge flick)

& Kill Bill 3 could be his The Good, The Bad & The Ugly…

PS: I love how the Japanese drastically change there Posters

Next up for Tarantino? “I’d like to do a Western. But rather than set it in Texas, have it in slavery times. With that subject that everybody is afraid to deal with. Let’s shine that light on ourselves. You could do a ponderous history lesson of slaves escaping on the Underground Railroad. Or, you could make a movie that would be exciting. Do it as an adventure. A spaghetti Western that takes place during that time. And I would call it ‘A Southern.’”

That sounds great, do it Tarantino!

At the moment I look forward with joy to any film QT does.

Me too. Inglorious Basterds was such a joy! He could even do a RomCom :smiley:

When a new Tarantino film comes out it makes me want to view some of the films he is making reference to.

Me too. After I saw Death Proof I watched some of these Car Movies of the 70’s.

yeh I believe he borrow’d the idea of the girls tieing themselves to the front of the car from an Australian 70s/80s movie…

Everyone should watch OZplotation a documentary about Australian films & there influence on the film medium Has alot of tarrantino in the movie also…

Watch Vanashing Point. It’s a killer movie and a huge influence on Death Proof. They even mention the movie by name! Saw VP years before DP and I knew I was the only guy in the theater that got the reference.

[quote=“natos99, post:146, topic:613”]Now that you mention it Kill Bill is pretty much a Spaghetti Western to (revenge flick)

& Kill Bill 3 could be his The Good, The Bad & The Ugly…

PS: I love how the Japanese drastically change there Posters[/quote]

There’s going to be a Kill Bill 3? :o I had no idea. Looks like I’m gonna be googling tonite! ::slight_smile:

Have done many of times, and prefer to Death Proof myself.

I just learned that Sally Menke, Quentin Tarantino’s friend and editor, died a couple of days ago. I wonder if Tarantino’s movies will ever feel the same again.

R.I.P.

No. There won’t be a KILL BILL 3. “natos99” was just saying “if”.

I like that Japanese poster for KILL BILL 2! I hadn’t seen it before. The official Japanese posters for KILL BILL 1 were pretty much the same as they were here in the States. But, I don’t know if I ever saw a Japanese poster for KILL BILL 2, until today. I think it is a cool poster because they made it look like one of the old Macaroni Western posters from the 60’s and 70’s…and that fits right in with the style of Tarantino’s film!

And speaking of KILL BILL…
I sure miss my old buddy, David Carradine. I started thinking about him the other day when I was trying to figure out a way to display the “Kill Bill” sword he gave me.
It is true that David was one strange cat, but he was always really nice and friendly towards me. Long story on how we met (via a few projects I was involved in for the History Channel); but, I was always surprised that David asked me for my address and phone number at the end of our working together…and that he actually kept in touch with me up until a few weeks before his death in Thailand. I miss hearing from the guy.

Also…
I was VERY sad to hear the news about Sally Menke passing away!!
This has to be a HUGE blow to Quentin in more ways than one.
And I agree that Tarantino’s movies will likely never be the same without her valuable input.

Don’t know if something has changed in Tarantino’s plans due to Carradine’s passing away, but he was going to shoot part (or volume) 3. From what I’ve read he wanted 2 and 3 to have some ten to fifteen years between them. Not that I’m waiting for that, I think these films are a bore and highly overrated.

At least I’m not alone on that, now I can come out of the closet on this ;D, I wont call them a bore, but not great stuff for me so many films in one but without the novelty and intentionality of Pulp Fiction, well Jackie Brown it’s still my fav.