A Taste of Death / Quanto costa morire (Sergio Merolle, 1968)

Yes about the same for me really.

Finally decided to check this out. I really like the theme song and otherwise the soundtrack isnā€™t bad either. All in all the plot is mainly your basic revenge plot, but it didnā€™t bother me so much. I have to give credit for those great landscape shots, and especially the scenes that were shot in snow, there arenā€™t too many SWs set in snowy landscapes so this is something that I really liked about Cost of Dying. So all in all the plot could be better, but this is still an enjoyable movie to watch. 3 stars out of 5. Iā€™m glad that we at least have this better quality version out, even though itā€™s in 4:3. By the way, were those scenes with snowy landscapes shot in Italy?

Yes.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Taste_of_Death_(Quanto_costa_morire)_Review

A re-watch. Enjoyed watching this one again, good cast, good story, creepy villain and a fair amount of solid action and gunplay. 6/5 out of 10

Does anyone else think of Bruno Corazzari to be the Italian Luke Askew. He reminds me of him so much.

I have seen Askew only in La notte dei serpenti. I have to say he is the last to remind me of Bruno Corazzari, who, by the way, I think soon must be next in line for the best supporting actor of the SWDB hall of fame, especially for his role in Quanto costa morire, which I like a lot (even if it has cattle in it, the film that is), also he is real good in Quel maledetto giorno della resa dei conti, another one which I like a lot.

In the credited cast are are both Claudio and Sergio Scarchilli.

Claudio Scarchilli

I find only a few credits for Sergio, all westerns save one. Some sources seem convinced Sergio = Sandro and vice versa, butā€¦ when I find Sergio credited I do not find Sandro.

Sandro Scarchilli

Sergio is also credited in Il magnifico West (1972), Lo sceriffo di Rockspring (1971), ā€¦ E venne il giorno dei limoni neri (1970), La belva (1970) and Odio per odio (1967). Starting with Sheriff of Rock Spring I found a common face in the first 3 I checked.

Lo sceriffo di Rockspring

Il magnifico West

Odio per odio

La Belva is the only one with both Sandro and Sergio credited. Sandro appears as a bandit.

La belva

All these are minor but fairly significant characters to the plots. I donā€™t have the gangster film. This is where it gets a little tougher with Cost of Dying. My first thought was one of these 2 but I believe this bandit in the tent may fit the bill. Iā€™m not finding him anywhere else. What do you think @JonathanCorbett?

1 Like

Iā€™d say yes. Excellent job!

4/5 stars. This is a damn good spaghetti western. Iā€™d like to see Koch release this one.

Thatā€™s Bruno Corazzari, not Philippe Leroy! :smiley: I donā€™t like the opening music very much. It would have been better if theyā€™d have left it silent. I agree with you about the training scene, as well. The film has its flaws, which is why I gave it 4 rather than 5 stars.

Yes, I would welcome a Koch Media or Wild East release of this film. The DVD-R I have is unwatchable.

Mine is quite good quality, a composite of the letterboxed TV print and the VHS rip with English audio.

From Koch is unlikely, as no German dub for this film exists.

Do you have the Sinister Cinema DVD?

1 Like

Yes. When I tried to watch it looked so bad to me that I moved on to other flicks and never returned.

Use this one for picture and the Sinister Cinema disc for sound, then. The openings are different, but after some minutes you can get them in sync. Then you can easily keep them in sync for the rest of the film.

1 Like

That transfer desperately needs an official release, this is a great spaghetti western and I think that with a good release it would climb up the rankings significantly, much like I think El Puro would.

I know a lot of people donā€™t like bootlegs ( I donā€™t mind them, especially if youā€™re into obscure films like we are) but the Cult Action DVD of this one comes with two discs; one is the version we all have and the other is the Spanish TV print listed above but in widescreen. Recommended if youā€™re a fan.

1 Like

Iā€™m very fond of this one. It is on of those ā€œtake no prisonersā€ movies that is even grimmer than many horror flicks. If you are accustomed to the classical dollar trilogy scheme, it might even shock you how dark the movie is. Actually I canā€™t think of any other spaghetti western that would be so dark. No irony to be found here and not a single moment that would lighten the ultra-heavy atmosphere. The winterā€™s snowy weather adds even even more desperation to the already creepy settings. The name of the movie itself, Taste of Death, gives you an idea how the movie feels. Shooting and killing is not fun here, it is the exact opposite. Death is nasty, gruesome and leaves a deep impact and maybe even stress on audience. This fits the very ambitious message it wants to deliver. It is the question that is in the name of the movie as well. (What a terrific names for the movie!) What is the price of death? Is it worth to risk your life for a right thing? Is it better to live in tyrrany but survive or to opposse your opressors even if it should cost you your life? Should we try even when the odds are against us and the situation seems to be hopeless? The cast is excellent and it really clicks between Giordana and Ireland in the main roles. I totally believed the story and relationships between characters. All in all the movie went in to a different direction than its rivals who tried more comedic approach and it unfortunately fell into oblivion which is shame because the movie has high qualities and is also quite memorable.

1 Like

Whatch this one yesterday. I found resemblances with Day of the Outlaw by AndrƩ de Toth. Than it diverge. It could have been a war flick, for sure.