One Silver Dollar / Un dollaro bucato (Giorgio Ferroni, 1965)

Do you mean any pic?
Hereā€™s one I saved from Django sfida Sartana as Phillip Singer

OK, thanks!

Farber in this one is the bandit with check shirt sent to kill Donaldson together with Rex (Pietro Ceccarelli) and another member of Bradā€™s gang.

Watched this the other night in local cinemateque as a part of Gemma tribute. Unfortunately, they probably showed us the same tape theyā€™ve used almost 50 years ago and in those days tape would travel around country to every town with cinema, so in the end it would accumulate a lot of runs. So the color was almost completely gone (that is, all but brown), but at least the sound was OK (except for the hiss of the tape). There were also lots of unexpected Death proof-style cuts, I donā€™t know if they are consequence of usage or the original tape was cut like that. Still it was great to see SW on big screen, and the cuts actually added to the fun.

Movie is a mixture of spaghetti style and that dated feel that many here call ā€œAmericanā€, but similar feel I get from Winnetou moviesā€¦ That said, I like SWs with post-war themes, those kind of themes are close to me, so I always find interest interpreting the allegories (castrated guns, corrupt law and bankers, robbed landowners). Other than that, greatest fun was a lot of crazy death scenes in which camera is following a guy as he falls from a roof for 30 seconds, lands on his feet, then continues to roll on a floor some more :smiley:

Definitely a 3 star movie for me. Unfortunately, my DVD freezes at the last 10 minutes so ive yet to see the end. :ā€™(

Tape is not the correct word if you mean a 35 mm film.
Apart from that these are the usual problems with old 35 mm film. The colours begin to deteriorate, with red becoming the dominant color. Redish colors, splice cuts and visible dirt and print damage are typical for old film copies. Actually watching older films in a cinema is only a appropriate experience if newer copies are available. But due to the digital revolution there is no interest any more to renew worn-out 35 mm film.

Quotes from the Adios Gringo/Wanted - NEW releases thread

[quote=ā€œProvvidenza, post:10, topic:2588ā€]One Silver Dollar has the scene where Gemma is beaten up in a far poorer quality than the rest of the movie. The parts where someone pushes their thumbs into Gemmas eye balls is missing (present on the latest Cinifil/Imagica Japanese release), we just see Gemmas head banged against the wall and he falls unconcious.
How NEW dare to slap UNCUT all over the DVD packaging is unclear, pehaps they donā€™t even know those parts are missing from the cut scenes they re-inserted, anyhow Iā€™m not very happy about it to put it mildly.
[/quote]

[quote=ā€œProvvidenza, post:12, topic:2588ā€]Errr slightly embarrasing for me, appears I made a mistake, there is no eye gouging scene in One Silver Dollar, Iā€™m confusing it with another Gemma SW. :-[
NEW DVD is UNCUT and does have the beating scene intact but in much lower quality than the rest of the movie.[/quote]

Look closely at Garyā€™s left cheek at 1:04:48

[url]- YouTube

Gemma scarred with a spur and the fingers in his eyes were cut, just as a previous beating sequence. In addition the scene starting at 1:05:10 was longer.

Too American for my tastes, despite the violence (the best thing in it) and Gemma seems too self-satisfied in his role (a problem I find quite a lot with him when he isnā€™t playing a character that is supposed to be smug a la Ringo or Johnny Yuma) and Ferroniā€™s direction is pedestrian (never one of the distinguished directors of the genre). I viewed it earlier this year but even now itā€™s hard to remember much beyond the general details of the film, which leads me to dub it with the unenviable epithet of ā€œforgettableā€.

Gemma wasnā€™t Johnny Yuma, that was this guy:

Of course! Mark Damon, the wannebe Gemma ;)! It reminds me in fact that I havenā€™t seen it in a long time and Guerrieri always repays a visit.

In the trailer we can see a few seconds of the censored part.

[/url]
[url]http://postimage.org/

Just re viewed this one via a fandub of a blu ray disc. Nice print. Not viewed a western with Gemma for a while, and it was a nice ride back. Yes its more American for sure. Thats fine with me, as thats one of the reasons why I like alot of these early ones. But take the english dub and music for example, its not quite American :smiley: . One of the early films of the star that just cements his appeal for me.

Is the blu-ray release of this cancelled or what?

Its temporary delayed to October or November ā€¦

Good news, it sounds like it could be a really great release.

Hope so :wink:

I just got around to watching the old Inter Ocean tape of this last night. I liked the film but it was a bit of a melodramatic american style mixed with italian brutal violence so a bit of a hybrid. Gemma is always worth a watch due to his entusiastic action scenes. Above average id say.

1 Like

One tape I need if anyone has a spare.

I cannot explain that weird ā€˜mit Evelyn Stewartā€™ thing that accompanies fully Italian credits. Iā€™ve seen it many times, maybe a slightly modified master of German origin circulating almost everywhere?

Itā€™s a pity the German DVD with the two bonus films (Adios Gringo and Wanted) isnā€™t available on amazon or ebay. I have this film on the Timeless Media set, which I really like, but I still need Adios Gringo and a new copy of Wanted since the Wild East print is terrible. If anyone knows where to get this set, please let me know!

It wasnā€™t released yet, and will probably never see the light of the day.