One Damned Day at Dawn … Django Meets Sartana! / Quel maledetto giorno d’inverno … Django e Sartana … all’ultimo sangue! (Demofilo Fidani, 1970)

This is the first Fidani I ever saw, but I had read plenty about him so I kinda knew what to expect. With that in mind, I had fun with this movie. It was bad, but amusingly so.
That unnecessary, dull and overlong flashback, the bad guys laughing all the time, Testi being a total dork until the last 10 minutes, all the fistfigths coming out of nowhere, the totally anti-climatic arm wrestling scene, and the best of it all, that ending with Testi saying “oh, by the way, I am Sartana”. Great stuff.
As also happens with guys like Mattei, D’Amato, Lenzi and even Jess Franco, you can see that below all that crap they made there’s a little bit of talent (Franco and Lenzi have shown they had a lot of talent in some of their movies, but they also did some utterly bad crap).
There are some nice things in this movie, like the build up to the duels (although the duels themselves don’t deliver) and some original camerawork.
Overall an enjoyable movie if you have patience for bad movies and you’re not a very serious fan of either Django or Sartana.

By the way, in my dvd there was some print damage, frame jumps and the audio wasn’t always very good either. Other than that it was an excellent quality anamorphic transfer. Does the Wild East DVD have these problems also?

I don’t know. I quite liked this one. Sort of bad but good.

I first had a pan and scan VHS copy in garish colours with some sort of Eastern European subtitles. Never really bothered about it. But then movies4men in the UK had a really good wide print in rich colours, so it just looked like a different thing altogether.

Has the (Fidani?) trademark spinning deaths when guys get shot. A few guys seem to spin 720 degrees before eating the dirt. Probably the same guy playing different parts filmed over and over. So if you are into this kind of crazy stuff, then it’s one for you.

Not to sure I have viewed this one before, if so may have been a T.V screening print. Short film but still some padding in when the story about the bad guys is told. Fabio Testi comes across a bit wooden at times, he looks surprised he is in the film. Bit of a surprise knowing his real characters name at the end of the film. Hunt Powers is the better role as Django, he looks and acts moody. Although copied from another film, when Powers lights a match on someones teeth is pretty good. Anyway a fair amount of action in the film, and boy that town looks cold with that fierce wind. Moody looking town aswell. But most of all the film was fun for me.

[quote=“caldwell76, post:42, topic:1534”]I don’t know. I quite liked this one. Sort of bad but good.

I first had a pan and scan VHS copy in garish colours with some sort of Eastern European subtitles. Never really bothered about it. But then movies4men in the UK had a really good wide print in rich colours, so it just looked like a different thing altogether.

Has the (Fidani?) trademark spinning deaths when guys get shot. A few guys seem to spin 720 degrees before eating the dirt. Probably the same guy playing different parts filmed over and over. So if you are into this kind of crazy stuff, then it’s one for you.[/quote]

The spinning is a quite humorous touch. An yes, I’m positive that some of these stunts play more than one role in the flick.

one damned day at down i watched this…
the story was weak :-\

When django comes a nice music plays…and i know that this director has used lallo gori’s same musics in some of his films

do u know that which ost has that music ?

Hey, it was better than Django and Sartana are Coming…it’s the End. There was no frog in this one.

One Damned Day at Dawn… Django Meets Sartana is marginally better than Django & Sartana are Coming… It’s the End, imho.

(although, again imo, Dead Men Don’t Make Shadows is marginally better than either of them)

That is the simple truth.

any information about that song? :frowning:

do u know what’s that music on the trailer?

Anybody have a link to the isolated score for this one?

No, i’ve searched before.

Most of the soundtrack (if not all of it) is ripped off from Black Jack if my memory serves me right.

It is a variation on the first theme in Con lui cavalca la morte/Death Rides Along (1967).

Yea, i have that ost.

How many times did Gori use the same theme? I know it was used in Black Jack before this one but I feel like I’ve heard it in another film, as well.

Despite everything it’s my favorite Fidani that I’ve seen out of 4.

Didn’t really rate this film. To me it just felt like a bit of a waste of time with a weak story.

I like it a lot. Very entertaining.