New Forum Layout [Feedback and Questions]

Ok so basically, when you enter a top category it shows topics from all its subcategories by default. You could by hand change that filter, see screenshot:

However, it seems like youā€™re not the only one who ever noticed or lamented this behavior.

I will keep an eye out, if they introduce a setting to force thatā€¦

OK, thank you again!

A post was split to a new topic: Buscando una peli

Same problem again. Links from the database to the forum donā€™t work.

Can u give one specific example? I will have a look and pass it on. In the long term we should replace them all with the correct links to avoid the forwarding being a source of error. Thanks for pointing it out!

Yes, of course. For example, the link from this database page to the corresponding forum page doesnā€™t take you there but to this page. We had that problem before, now again. Strange, because it already worked fine.

Thanks, I passed it on and it will be fixed. In the meantime everyone, whenever we see links that do not yet point to the real, correct, URL of this forum (but to the topics of the previous adress-structure and in need of forwarding), we can update those links as much as we can

My link to the forum that I was using since before the format change had /index at the end and only recently I got the ā€œoops this page doesnā€™t existā€

yea they look different now. the forwarding should work again (soon), but it is better if we piece by piece update all links to their proper new locations

Iā€™ve just updated all of the forum links for each of the ā€œTop 20ā€ movies (a couple of them worked anyway - The Great Silence, Keoma - but most of them didnā€™t). Itā€™s not much, but itā€™s a start. I shall continue to go through the rest of the films on the ā€œTop 20ā€ page (the top 50), and then move on to the other ā€œChartā€ pages (Alternate 20, Tarantino, Cox, Hughes), so at least each of those moviesā€™ forum pages can be reached via their database pages.

EDIT Right, thatā€™s all the movies on the ā€œTop 20ā€ page and all the movies mentioned on the ā€œTarantino Top 20ā€ page now with working links to their respective forum pages. I shall keep going later on.

FURTHER EDIT Okay, every movie reachable directly from ā€œTop 20ā€, ā€œTarantino 20ā€, ā€œCox 20ā€, ā€œHughes 20ā€, ā€œAlternative 20ā€ and ā€œStaff Favesā€ now have working links to their respective forum pages. Iā€™ll tackle the Hall of Fame and Title Sequences pages possibly late tomorrow but more likely Friday (Iā€™ve a movie review to submit to another site tomorrow).

FURTHER, FURTHER EDIT Thatā€™s the ā€œTitle Sequencesā€ page done and the ā€œDirectorsā€ section of the Hall of Fame, although I noticed there are still a lot of movies mentioned in that section which havenā€™t been linked to their database pages yet, and I havenā€™t done any of those. If you want Seb Iā€™ll get to linking those films to their database pages once Iā€™ve finished linking all the already reachable movies in the Hall of Fame to their forum pages.

4 Likes

About to crack the 20% mark. Thatā€™s the percentage of dormant accounts I was so far able to ā€œreviveā€ with some persistent emailing efforts. Now we gotta incentivise folks to participate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So what are everyoneā€™s thoughts about the new Categories view? It was rolled out with the last update of the software.

I quite like it. Itā€™s nice to have a breakdown of the categories. I also like the last visit marker on the main forum page when you log in so you can pick up where you left off.

1 Like

Ah, thatā€™s what that was! :smile: I didnā€™t actually notice it but I mustā€™ve pressed it by accident the other day because, all of a sudden, the page looked different. Better looking , actually, but I didnā€™t know how Iā€™d done it so I closed everything on my tablet, waved it about a bit as though that might help matters, and then reopened the SWDB.

If Iā€™m being totally honest it feels a little redundant in that it appears to just stir the elements of whatā€™s already on the page anyway. It is a more attractive page though; certainly on my 10.5" tablet.

1 Like

I donā€™t understand why I am presented with a list of the latest posts taking up half of the screen when I choose Categories. Before as far as I remember and I may be wrong the categories took up all the space which kind of made sense. If I want the latest posts I just access the forum normally so why waste space on them here?

I dunno, I guess they thought of a ā€œbest of both worldsā€ kind of view that uses available screen space efficiently

Yeah probably. Ah, the road to hell is paved :slight_smile:

I use the categories overview when I want to see what is happening in a specific category not for some presentation similar to the one I navigated away from. Probably just my use of the forum that is flawed :grin:

Well previously everyone complained about how the standard view is no longer a view of all categories. So I see this development as a neat compromise for some :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not working link is nothing new, but how is that searching the Forum I donā€™t find the topic?

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Carogne_si_nasce

Itā€™s all right, I finally found it under the title Lynching.