Mexican westerns section?

Not necessarily: at the top of any Mexican director page one could add the complete Western filmography (without links) and all the info you want, including in the DB only genre related titles.

I think we mostly did it for the database with the premise: if there are doubts, put it in. Better a few too many than one one missing.

yea that’s true, we had an “if in doubt, include it” policy so far

we extended the coverage from SW to all european westerns mostly because the gray areas in and around and before and after the “classic SW” leads to that anyway. i think it’s fine to include some US western if produced in spain or whatever, too.

As for the Mexis, I don’t really see a reason for inclusion, the “similarity” is mostly an attribute from a US-perspective only. i dont think “style” is a common denominator

I tend to agree with the previous posts on this page but 2 recent additions make me wonder how far do we go with these? Juana Gallo[/url] from 1961 and Cuchillo from 1978, apparently about Indians. I don’t know anything about these but spaghetti relations? Maybe I’m cynical but the only reason I can see for these additions are an upcoming German [url=http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Spaghetti_Western_DVD_news]dvd release[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Juana_Gallo[/url].

Cuchillo is a bad western. Cheap in every respect.

yea, we come back to this question again and again I am afraid: why are there mexican westerns in the SWDB? :wink:

Might be a good idea to turn this place into the western database, the ultimate resource for any western. Ever. You might need a bigger server though, haha.

Nah, but seriously. I think it can be good if things evolve and are not interpreted too rigidly. Spaghetti westerns do have some bastard cousins, and are spawned itself by other films of course. But those are just my 2 cents.

yea but then might as well shut down and leave it to the IMDB.

It was a joke, even though such a website wouldn’t be a bad idea.

I just picked up an abridged version of a Mexican Western on Super 8mm film. It stars Mario and Fernando Almada, and according to a note taped to the reel, “the villain gets harpooned”. Anyone have any idea what movie this might be? The title on the box is Bullet For A Dead Man, but box titles on these condensed Super 8 films are often the same as the title of the full movie.

Another Mexican western disguised as a SW: this time is Duelo en El Dorado, directed by René Cardona in 1969 and released in Italy in July '73 with the director credited as Lawrence Cooper.

Translation: I make the sign of the Cross
 and then I kill you.

is it in the database already?

No. For René Cardona we have 4 titles, one of which dated 1960.

Should we put it in there then? :smile:

Perhaps it would be safer to watch the film first
 :wink:

This fotobusta, for example, is not as interesting as the posters above

I look forward to reading through this thread. I’m a big fan of Mexican Westerns, even the “charros cantores” (singing cowboys) like “Alla’ en el Rancho Grande.”

What I don’t know is if Mexico made political or revolutionary Westerns
 So much to learn!!

There is an incorrect entry in the DB for this film, which I just bought on DVD and am collecting/researching info on:

Traiganlos vivos o muertos (1974)
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Traiganlos_vivos_o_muertos

In the DB page, it is listed under the title Todo por nada, which is a totally different film

I would go ahead and edit it, but I no longer have permission

2 Likes

I’ll see to it tomorrow, it’s past midnight here at the moment :wink: