Mexican westerns section?

Fine and ultimately true, but I prefer Zapata Westerns, sounds really cool.

Zapata does sound pretty cool, but as I understand the term, it is referencing specifically Mexican revolutionaries and would only signify revolutionary themed films. I believe Zapatistas were revolutionary soldiers and Zapata was the name of a key dude,

Yeah pretty much, Zapata and an all lot figures of the period inspired many SW.

You may check this out, if you wanna know more

http://forum.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/topic,3036.msg114306.html#msg114306

Zapatas and Mexican westerns are different pairs of shoes. But can be sometimes the same pair, when a Mexican western is also a Zapata western.

Topo this thread is about westerns from Mexican directors, not westerns set in the Mexi-Revolution.

Yes, in any case and for a long of time Mexico was in constant turmoil, almost in a state of permanent revolution until the late twenties of the last century, and those westerns took place in that period, of course the subject wasn’t the revolution by itself. Some Mexican western before SW success were pretty classic stuff similar to their US counterparts.
Anyway Mexico still a great source of material for films these days, most for sad reasons.

Yes El Topo, but the point Stanton tried to make was that we’re not talking about films (westerns in this case) set in Mexico, but Mexican movies, that is: movies (westerns) made by Mexicans.

Mexi-westerns is to my liking.

I see the point Sherp, it’s Mexican made Westerns telling stories happening in North America with US characters, just like SW did, they were Italian Spanish made films about the American West.
I just think that Zapata is a specific Mexican trade-mark name, very recognizable, as Spaghetti is for the Italy, that why. I thought it sounded well.

OK, but when you bump into Mexican Zapata (sort of) what term would you use, Zapata Zapata? :wink:

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:49, topic:3439”]OK, but when you bump into Mexican Zapata (sort of) what term would you use, Zapata Zapata? :wink:

[/quote]

Non Villa Zapata suona meglio :slight_smile:

I think I also prefer Mexi-western and its what I usually say when referring to these films- it is most similar in structure to Euro-western and also Italo-western, and these are all the same genre of films more or less.

Remember to add El Topo (film not the member :smiley: ) to the category too.

I wouldn’t use the term Zapata western for these Mexican westerns, first of all many are not set in revolutionary Mexico and second the term Zapata western refers- for most genre fans - to the spaghetti westerns by Damiani, Corbucci et all (set in Mexico). This is simply a different category.

Mex with lots of Blood and some Sex (or at least nudity):

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Las_Viboras_cambian_de_Piel_/_Guns_%26_Guts_Review

Just ordered these. Shipped to American address, total $55 incl. shipping.

I got a VHS rip of Indio, and not a great film I’m afraid.

I did like El Tunco Maclovio a cool western

Yeah, I saw the trailer yesterday. Not too impressive. But I like Rivero, and for $5 I’m willing to give it a shot.

La leyenda del manco looks pretty awful too, from what I gather from the Youtube bits I’ve seen.

But I am looking forward to most others that I purchased, among which the one you recommended.

Nice, I think you’ll like Todo el horizonte para morir - a strange title I can’t quite figure out how to translate and make any sense of. Any insight El Topo?

El Tunco Maclovio is one I’ve been meaning to transfer the English dub over to the Spain Divisa release

It translates something like this Autephex:

All the horizon to die.

Nice title

Yeah, that’s what I got from it, but I don’t get it? It doesn’t make any sense to me