Mexican westerns section?

is it in the database already?

No. For RenƩ Cardona we have 4 titles, one of which dated 1960.

Should we put it in there then? :smile:

Perhaps it would be safer to watch the film firstā€¦ :wink:

This fotobusta, for example, is not as interesting as the posters above

I look forward to reading through this thread. Iā€™m a big fan of Mexican Westerns, even the ā€œcharros cantoresā€ (singing cowboys) like ā€œAllaā€™ en el Rancho Grande.ā€

What I donā€™t know is if Mexico made political or revolutionary Westernsā€¦ So much to learn!!

There is an incorrect entry in the DB for this film, which I just bought on DVD and am collecting/researching info on:

Traiganlos vivos o muertos (1974)
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Traiganlos_vivos_o_muertos

In the DB page, it is listed under the title Todo por nada, which is a totally different film

I would go ahead and edit it, but I no longer have permission

2 Likes

Iā€™ll see to it tomorrow, itā€™s past midnight here at the moment :wink:

Cool, hereā€™s a short summary if you want to add it in:

Jotsy the beautiful bank robber, along with Dan, Pedro and Roberto are a gang of bandits famous for their robberies. Sheriff Clayon pursues them night and day with the slogan of ā€œTraiganlos vivos o muertosā€ (ā€œBring them alive or deadā€).

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Traiganlos_vivos_o_muertos

Watched the first 10 minutes of El juez de la soga 1973 and, so far, it looks pretty SW to me. :+1:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/El_juez_de_la_soga

Thanks scherp!

Massimo- for sure, these westerns have all the flavor of SWs, and sometimes are more graphically violent. Thanks for sharing the poster - nice find! The only poster image I had was very small and pixelated.

1 Like

Next, I will watch Los Desalmados which seems to translate to The Fiendish. Iā€™m watching these in Spanish, which I understand very little(for now :nerd_face:), but I believe Iā€™m following the story lines pretty well. I can easily see how a person could learn a language by watching movies in that language as long as you, every now and then, look up words youā€™re curious about along the way.

Ah, RubĆ©n Galindo! I havenā€™t heard of this one yet, will have to look it up. Are you watching on youtube or where did you find it?

I am actually using these movies as a way to try and help myself learn Spanish, something Iā€™ve been less than half-assed about for years now. I was thinking of maybe creating English subtitles for these films to also help learn the language, but I donā€™t knowā€¦ thatā€™s a lot of work

1 Like

I just started watching on Youtube. Youā€™ll be an Spanish expert if you subtitle them. I should have had that as an assignment in high school Spanish classes.

I may have to watch that same youtube upload - so far I donā€™t see it available anywhere else but will keep looking. The usual cheapo Mexican DVD releasers have a couple, but they seem to be OOP. This is why I like to buy them up if I can, because when they go OOP they are very hard to find. I plan on doing some real world hunting at some point in Latin markets and whatnot. A trip to Mexico would be incredible.

Thereā€™s another youtube upload of that film by someone who seems to have uploaded most Mexican westerns I look for, but its very strange - they start about 30min into the film so they are all missing almost half the movie.

1 Like

Based on the pic below, I thought Los Desalmados(The Fiendish?) was going to be about a bizarre sadistic outlaw gang paralleling late 60s biker movies like Satanā€™s Sadists. It had its moments and was good overall but had a lot more lighthearted elements than I expected. Still havenā€™t finished watching it and itā€™s much less understandable watching in Spanish than El Juez de la Soga was(too much dialogue, more tell than show ).

Started El Tunco Maclovio which is more in line with SWs and supposedly filmed in Chihuahua, Mexico where a few John Wayne movies were shot.

I just spent almost a month in Mexico, I should have visited a thrift store or flea market to hunt some of these down :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m an hour away by car but theyā€™re having some issues in Tijuana at the moment. :wink:

Whatā€™s one fella more :slight_smile:

1 Like