Mexican westerns section?

yea but then might as well shut down and leave it to the IMDB.

It was a joke, even though such a website wouldn’t be a bad idea.

I just picked up an abridged version of a Mexican Western on Super 8mm film. It stars Mario and Fernando Almada, and according to a note taped to the reel, “the villain gets harpooned”. Anyone have any idea what movie this might be? The title on the box is Bullet For A Dead Man, but box titles on these condensed Super 8 films are often the same as the title of the full movie.

Another Mexican western disguised as a SW: this time is Duelo en El Dorado, directed by René Cardona in 1969 and released in Italy in July '73 with the director credited as Lawrence Cooper.

Translation: I make the sign of the Cross
 and then I kill you.

is it in the database already?

No. For René Cardona we have 4 titles, one of which dated 1960.

Should we put it in there then? :smile:

Perhaps it would be safer to watch the film first
 :wink:

This fotobusta, for example, is not as interesting as the posters above

I look forward to reading through this thread. I’m a big fan of Mexican Westerns, even the “charros cantores” (singing cowboys) like “Alla’ en el Rancho Grande.”

What I don’t know is if Mexico made political or revolutionary Westerns
 So much to learn!!

There is an incorrect entry in the DB for this film, which I just bought on DVD and am collecting/researching info on:

Traiganlos vivos o muertos (1974)
https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Traiganlos_vivos_o_muertos

In the DB page, it is listed under the title Todo por nada, which is a totally different film

I would go ahead and edit it, but I no longer have permission

2 Likes

I’ll see to it tomorrow, it’s past midnight here at the moment :wink:

Cool, here’s a short summary if you want to add it in:

Jotsy the beautiful bank robber, along with Dan, Pedro and Roberto are a gang of bandits famous for their robberies. Sheriff Clayon pursues them night and day with the slogan of “Traiganlos vivos o muertos” (“Bring them alive or dead”).

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Traiganlos_vivos_o_muertos

Watched the first 10 minutes of El juez de la soga 1973 and, so far, it looks pretty SW to me. :+1:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/El_juez_de_la_soga

Thanks scherp!

Massimo- for sure, these westerns have all the flavor of SWs, and sometimes are more graphically violent. Thanks for sharing the poster - nice find! The only poster image I had was very small and pixelated.

1 Like

Next, I will watch Los Desalmados which seems to translate to The Fiendish. I’m watching these in Spanish, which I understand very little(for now :nerd_face:), but I believe I’m following the story lines pretty well. I can easily see how a person could learn a language by watching movies in that language as long as you, every now and then, look up words you’re curious about along the way.

Ah, RubĂ©n Galindo! I haven’t heard of this one yet, will have to look it up. Are you watching on youtube or where did you find it?

I am actually using these movies as a way to try and help myself learn Spanish, something I’ve been less than half-assed about for years now. I was thinking of maybe creating English subtitles for these films to also help learn the language, but I don’t know
 that’s a lot of work

1 Like

I just started watching on Youtube. You’ll be an Spanish expert if you subtitle them. I should have had that as an assignment in high school Spanish classes.

I may have to watch that same youtube upload - so far I don’t see it available anywhere else but will keep looking. The usual cheapo Mexican DVD releasers have a couple, but they seem to be OOP. This is why I like to buy them up if I can, because when they go OOP they are very hard to find. I plan on doing some real world hunting at some point in Latin markets and whatnot. A trip to Mexico would be incredible.

There’s another youtube upload of that film by someone who seems to have uploaded most Mexican westerns I look for, but its very strange - they start about 30min into the film so they are all missing almost half the movie.

1 Like