Long Live Your Death / Viva la muerte … tua! (Duccio Tessari, 1971)

The WE print seems a bit dark in places don’t you think but i guess this is only a minor quibble?

I don’t know, I haven’t seen this italian dvd from a magazine you’re talking about, so I don’t know how it looks

But there is an italian dvd available to buy, I presumed WE used this print ???

The WE version of course NTSC, creating these annoying lines of static, at least on my TV set :smiley:

Not bad, but I’m not really a fan of comedy or revolutionary SWs. I do give it 3/5 though, more for Nero and Wallach than anything else.

This was actually released in English language on a DVD several years ago in Slovenia. Can’t remember for sure, but I think it is the shorter version (meaning probably the same as the WE disc minus the Italian only scenes).

This is probably the only Tessari Western I wouldn’t rate highly (haven’t seen Tex & the Lord… yet) thought it’s still alright, i’d say. Franco Nero and Wallach were great (especially Nero)… and theres something about Lyn Redgrave I like… the story just seems like a bit of a mess to me.

rewatched this now, on the wild east disc. and i actually enjoyed it now

The German version is unwatchable … ehh, unhearable anyway.

yeah that’s why i was so pleasantly surprised this time around, with the original voices etc

I’ve heard worse…

A so so film for me.
Anything with Wallach and Nero in will have something to offer but on the whole it’s just another from the comedy end of the cycle. An era when the genre was not at its best. The Wild East release is pretty good though and nice to see it in its entirety.

[quote=“Phil H, post:50, topic:461”]A so so film for me.
Anything with Wallach and Nero in will have something to offer but on the whole it’s just another from the comedy end of the cycle. An era when the genre was not at its best. The Wild East release is pretty good though and nice to see it in its entirety.[/quote]

I agree, Phil. The Wild East disc is great (and I love the interview with Eli!)–but, the movie itself is just OK, in my book.
Like you say anything with Nero and Wallach is going to be, at least, entertaining. But, I feel like this one should have been better.

It seemed to me that Nero, ever the professional, tried to rise above the material with a strong performance. But Wallach seemed a little bored to me, as if he knew it was subpar and didn’t care enough to try and bring anything extra to his performance. I could be wrong but usually Wallach is so good in an genre of film and here, eh…

Of course it doesn’t help that comedy spags played to the lowest common denominator type of humor.

I think this is a genuinely funny spaghetti western, much better than the Hill & Spencer movies

I also think the main trio of Nero, Wallach and Lynn Redgrave give excellent, if exaggerated, performances

Eduardo Fajardo is really funny as well in this movie

It sure is a comedy, but it also has some serious scenes like the one involving Wallach’s mute sister

Great late spaghetti western in my opinion ;D

I only watched it once, but as I remember it this film was not really a comedy. It had this then popular tongue in cheek style, and it surely contained comedy elements, but it was overall more an action western.
I have to watch it again. It was well directed, but not a great film.

Haven’t seen it so far and it’s not very high on my wish list

It’s one of those films that have a better name in Italy than abroad. It is considered to be one of the best of the late spaghettis

Why is it not very high on your wish list Scherp?

What more films have a better name in Italy than abroad, you mean spaghettis right? Or you mean other films as well?

One thing I really hate about this flick is the fact that Gisela Hahn only appears in the opening sequence.

You watched the version with the bad German dub, right?

You should watch the Wild East release instead

Yes could have been fun if she came back later in the film perhaps, nevertheless the credits are good with the stills and upbeat music

It was a guest-star role for Gisela :wink:

Better than nothing…

[quote=“Lindberg, post:58, topic:461”]You watched the version with the bad German dub, right?

You should watch the Wild East release instead[/quote]

Unfortunately it was the German fun dub, which even worser was totally out of sync (20 or 30 sec difference).
The Wild East is on my search list. It’s supposed to be uncut, yes?