Wrath of God / L’ira di Dio (Alberto Cardone, 1968)

No doubt about it, a matter of taste …

I really enjoyed this. I agree with its predictability but I guess that was fine by me. I particularly liked the use of overhead filming in the interior fight and in the desert.
4 outa 5 from this hombre.

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:22, topic:1549”]I really enjoyed this. I agree with its predictability but I guess that was fine by me. I particularly liked the use of overhead filming in the interior fight and in the desert.
4 outa 5 from this hombre.[/quote]

One might even say ‘coolio’. :wink:

:smiley: I was jus’ gonna add it as an edit. You beat me to it - cheers mate!

Is this the scene you meant?

And again, predictable or not, i really like this one. Have got the subtitled version now so muct get round to watching it to clear a couple of things up!

I watched it this afternoon and I can’t say that I was very impressed. Simple and unoriginal revenge western that is very easily predictable. Boring fist fights and the jail scene drags on for too long. The prophet/piripero character wasn’t funny either. Lacerenza’s score was amazing though. 5/10 because of the score.

Very simple revenge tail. Halsey could have easily been killed at the start, but we then of course would have no film :stuck_out_tongue: . Would have liked to have seen the woman get killed at the start for character motivation purposes of course, and some twists in the story along the way. The old guy who sells some whiskey to Halsey and says " Peek a Boo" was a standout. This type of story has been done better in other films, and expected this one to be a little better.

Very entertaining material.
Overall, the narrative rhythm is somewhat slower, but I find it quite appealing. The score is very good.

Disadvantage, of course, are these stupid fist fights (I agree with ION BRITTON :wink: ). But this is often a problem in films of Cardone.

Many night scenes, even if the movie is not really dark. But it has some surreal elements, some scenes with red fog, as in other Cardone film “Kidnapping”. Overall, the combination Cardone - Halsey to work well.

A rating is difficult, 6 / 10 or maybe even 7 / 10.

I have seen a Fandub. Source was the Italian Eagle pictures DVD. Superb picture quality with English subtitles.

[quote=“The Stranger, post:28, topic:1549”]Disadvantage, of course, are these stupid fist fights (I agree with ION BRITTON :wink: ). But this is often a problem in films of Cardone.[/quote]Yes, especially in Blood at Sundown.

Yes, you’re right.
Blood at Sundown has a nice dark atmosphere, but this fist fights destroy this style. Incomprehensible for me, what Cardone wanted to achieve with it.

Still on SW hell so watched this one today

Pretty basic stuff with a very simple story streetched to the limit, and the limit were those never ending scenes and the looooong chases, it’s a pitty cause in visual terms the film is very good, and also the score raises way above the film’s mediocrity.
I guess all been said in the thread the story and characters are pretty much obvious and we never get to see Jane only Dana Ghia (I once saw a vynil record of her in a trade-fair, didn’t know her but liked so much the cover that almost bought it), and the waiting for Fernando Sancho wasn’t compesated by some outstandig scene, once agian only the ovbvious, at least I was expecting why such bad ass mean thugs didn’t kill the hero at the start of the movie at least they could have leave him thinking he was dead or something .

Halsey got a long and respectable carrer both in the US and Europe, but wasn’t the right actor for main SW parts too much nice guy look

Oh well another one that I won’t be watching so soon

yeah. i even got a vhs rip from one he shot in Portugal: 077 mission lisbon
last time i went to carbono store they’ve got a fistful of posters of that one in their walls.

I can only echo Chris Casey’s review, especially the bit about the scene with the luminous paint, an all time Spaghetti highlight. All the vengeance scenes are pretty good to great. The format, no story to speak of, just betrayal followed by imaginative payback scenes should have inspired more bare bones Westerns on a budget, very imaginative and fun like one of those Vincent Price Phibes movies…though much cheaper. Cardone was a truly virtuosic cinematic master while seemingly being an idiot savant as well - some of the exposition is so blunt and minimal as to be either retarded or that way on purpose for the heck of it. Witness the revelation that Halsey’s girl’s been done in - just Halsey caroling 'Hi Honey, I’m home!" followed by a view of her dangling feet, and this is the first and last we ever see of her!..or at least part of her. Daring minimalism, and screw unnecessary sappy stuff? Who knows. I also think it’s funny how Halsey, having licked his wounds, assumes a ‘Django’ costume (hat and cloak), thus telegraphing to the idiots in the audience that he means business…This film is lesser stuff than BLOOD AT SUNDOWN but there are sequences that folks like Tarantino could learn from. 4 out of 5 from me.

This was a stand out to me also. A creative touch that brings the dull fight routine back to life a bit

Pretty straightforward spaghetti here that is far from original but still very watchable for me. The film holds a mostly serious tone and the soundtrack’s main theme fits nicely. I can see why some rate it very highly, and I can also understand those who dislike it. With some slight changes, this could have been a much much better genre entry.

Cardone is giving Fidani a run for his money here with the horse riding scenes.

When Mike killed guy, whom matched with phosphorus, he had hole in head from bullet. But in next scene, when Mike gone downstairs, he attacked him again? How, with shooted head?

Spaghetti westerns and realism, Escobar, it’s an odd relationship.
That scene is complete nonsense

Watched this one again the other night. The feel of it is truly SW, mainly due to Brett Halsey as a black clad somber avenger (Mike), Lacerenca’s trumpet and some good cinematography. Also some good acting, even Fernando Sancho is tuned down. However the film is bogged down by its weaknesses: The story is more or less nonsense (but not without some style). When Mike comes home to find his old sweetheart murdered, and as it seems, raped, he hardly throws her a glance before starting looking for his money. Some sloppy directing, topped by the utterly silly scene where one of the killers catapults himself at Mike after being shot in the forehead earlier on. The unavoidable shooting competition and bar brawl. A monotonous galloping theme adding to the boredom of the many riding scenes. The ending a real let-down (you might as well skip the two last chapters). But then again, it somehow feels all right! Two stars.
As for the revolver shown in the opening scene, as it seems an 1873 single action Army Colt, it is of course a copy. It is certainly not made in Italy in the 18th century. The three main Italian producers, A. Uberti, Davide Pedersoli and Pietta, were founded only in the years 1957 – 1963. They and some smaller producers then started copying Colts and other American weapons. In addition to the regular engravings, they were actually marked: Made in Italy.

It is the luminous paint!

It is only a graze just below the hairline with a little bloodstain intended to mislead the public, hands up anyone who sees a bullet hole in the screenshot below

[/url]
[url]http://postimage.org/

ah, the old luminous paint. Incredible

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:38, topic:1549”]It is only a graze just below the hairline with a little bloodstain intended to mislead the public, hands up anyone who sees a bullet hole in the screenshot below

[/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/index.php?lang=italian][url]http://postimage.org/[/url][/quote]
It had me fooled. The bullet must have richocetted from his forehead. Hardheaded this one.