Wrath of God / L’ira di Dio (Alberto Cardone, 1968)

yeah. i even got a vhs rip from one he shot in Portugal: 077 mission lisbon
last time i went to carbono store they’ve got a fistful of posters of that one in their walls.

I can only echo Chris Casey’s review, especially the bit about the scene with the luminous paint, an all time Spaghetti highlight. All the vengeance scenes are pretty good to great. The format, no story to speak of, just betrayal followed by imaginative payback scenes should have inspired more bare bones Westerns on a budget, very imaginative and fun like one of those Vincent Price Phibes movies…though much cheaper. Cardone was a truly virtuosic cinematic master while seemingly being an idiot savant as well - some of the exposition is so blunt and minimal as to be either retarded or that way on purpose for the heck of it. Witness the revelation that Halsey’s girl’s been done in - just Halsey caroling 'Hi Honey, I’m home!" followed by a view of her dangling feet, and this is the first and last we ever see of her!..or at least part of her. Daring minimalism, and screw unnecessary sappy stuff? Who knows. I also think it’s funny how Halsey, having licked his wounds, assumes a ‘Django’ costume (hat and cloak), thus telegraphing to the idiots in the audience that he means business…This film is lesser stuff than BLOOD AT SUNDOWN but there are sequences that folks like Tarantino could learn from. 4 out of 5 from me.

This was a stand out to me also. A creative touch that brings the dull fight routine back to life a bit

Pretty straightforward spaghetti here that is far from original but still very watchable for me. The film holds a mostly serious tone and the soundtrack’s main theme fits nicely. I can see why some rate it very highly, and I can also understand those who dislike it. With some slight changes, this could have been a much much better genre entry.

Cardone is giving Fidani a run for his money here with the horse riding scenes.

When Mike killed guy, whom matched with phosphorus, he had hole in head from bullet. But in next scene, when Mike gone downstairs, he attacked him again? How, with shooted head?

Spaghetti westerns and realism, Escobar, it’s an odd relationship.
That scene is complete nonsense

Watched this one again the other night. The feel of it is truly SW, mainly due to Brett Halsey as a black clad somber avenger (Mike), Lacerenca’s trumpet and some good cinematography. Also some good acting, even Fernando Sancho is tuned down. However the film is bogged down by its weaknesses: The story is more or less nonsense (but not without some style). When Mike comes home to find his old sweetheart murdered, and as it seems, raped, he hardly throws her a glance before starting looking for his money. Some sloppy directing, topped by the utterly silly scene where one of the killers catapults himself at Mike after being shot in the forehead earlier on. The unavoidable shooting competition and bar brawl. A monotonous galloping theme adding to the boredom of the many riding scenes. The ending a real let-down (you might as well skip the two last chapters). But then again, it somehow feels all right! Two stars.
As for the revolver shown in the opening scene, as it seems an 1873 single action Army Colt, it is of course a copy. It is certainly not made in Italy in the 18th century. The three main Italian producers, A. Uberti, Davide Pedersoli and Pietta, were founded only in the years 1957 – 1963. They and some smaller producers then started copying Colts and other American weapons. In addition to the regular engravings, they were actually marked: Made in Italy.

It is the luminous paint!

It is only a graze just below the hairline with a little bloodstain intended to mislead the public, hands up anyone who sees a bullet hole in the screenshot below

[/url]
[url]http://postimage.org/

ah, the old luminous paint. Incredible

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:38, topic:1549”]It is only a graze just below the hairline with a little bloodstain intended to mislead the public, hands up anyone who sees a bullet hole in the screenshot below

[/url]
[url=http://postimage.org/index.php?lang=italian][url]http://postimage.org/[/url][/quote]
It had me fooled. The bullet must have richocetted from his forehead. Hardheaded this one.

I need to re-watch L’Ira Di Dio, it’s been a long time. Remember being a decent spaghetti.

Nevertheless he was dead, and being dead pursued Mike.

I love the atmosphere in this film. Nice choice of locations with a great score from Lacerenza. Yes, it’s a standard revenge film but like Margheriti’s Vengeance, it manages to epitomise the feeling of a spaghetti western and that’s why I like it so much. I don’t think Cardone made a bad western.

Surprise, surprise, a fine DVD release from White Pearl Classics / Daredo: Django – ein Silberdollar für einen Toten, German and Italian audio, good video quality, 92 minutes (PAL). Minuses: no subtitles, no English audio.

Really like this one. Wrath of God + The Kidnapping would be a good double feature for Wild East to consider.

The music, including the main theme composed and trumpet played by Michele Lacerenza is the best thing with this revenge SW directed by Alberto Cardone.
His Blood At Sundown/One Thousand Dollars on the Black (7/10) has a more interesting story IMO (also with good music by Michele Lacerenza).

Wrath Of God has 3 rather boring fist fights in the first 25 minutes. There are many riding scenes in the ramblas of the Tabernas desert and since they are accompanied by the nice music I like them.
Several times they start a ride in Tabernas desert , Spain and end up in Lazio, Italy or vice versa, which is not uncommon in SWs.

In one riding scene, definitely in the Tabernas desert (most likely at Las Salinillas west of highway-92), the antihero approaches a western town, but seconds later reaches western buildings in Lazio, Italy probably the Laurentiis Studio ).
Could the western town at Las Salinillas also be a “fake scene” (matte) as in Cardone’s Blood At Sundown ? Though there have been western buildings before in that area, but I can’t recall that many.

In spite of some weaknesses mentioned above I could stretch my rating up to a weak 6/10 (and rank 79 on my SW Top list) after the first watching (although maybe influenced by the very good image quality of the DVD-R with Italian audio and English subs).
The main character played by Brett Halsey looked better than some other leading actors in this type of “C”-SW, but the story and plot in detail in Wrath Of God both are a bit thin. I have watched several more impressing revenge stories, but still I at least now rank it before Shotgun/Vengeance Is My Forgiveness (Roberto Mauri).

77 Quintana: Dead or Alive (Vincenzo Musolino) music Felice Di Stefano 1969
78 Poker With Pistols (Giuseppe Vari) 1967
79 Wrath of God (Alberto Cardone) music Michele Lacerenza 1968
80 Shotgun/Vengeance Is My Forgiveness (Roberto Mauri) 1968
81 No Graves On Boot Hill/Three Crosses Not to Die/Three Crosses of Death (Sergio Garrone) 1968

1 Like

As per request of @Rayo New poll to vote on for this one, at the top of the page under the original post. :arrow_up:

@Admin Looks like this one’s database page could use the old 3.0 treatment too, hate to say it.

1 Like

quite the opposite. I appreciate these being pointed out, now that we’re past the systematic upgrades of the more popular titles… me or @Carlos will upgrade more and more as we find them. many gaps are being closed. Will do this one within the next hour or so

1 Like

Thought you might say that! :wink:

you’d be ripe for an editor account amigo :slight_smile:

So this movie’s page in the database has also been updated to the new layout. Please notify us of any corrections that are required. We also welcome more info, trivia, facts, reviews, links to articles, pictures and more.

Really enjoyed this one 7/10. Not without flaws, but great music and a revenge story with Brett Halsey playing Mike who I thought of as a calmer version of Robert Woods’ Black Jack which was made in the same year (1968)

2 Likes