Shotgun / La vendetta è il mio perdono (Roberto Mauri, 1968)

I can’t find this film, only at Amazon and I don’t want to pay with credit card.

Where can I find this movie?

Good film, I voted 4.

I was also very surprised by this movie, the critics from some experts are really bad. The movie has a good cast and photography and a great soundtrack. It’s the best movie by Roberto Mauri which I have seen until today.

Great B-Western stuff with a straight revenge story.

PS: The version I watched was from a cut tape (called Django- das Lied des Todes) with a very bad quality.

Mine was cut too, but not that much I hope. It’s a rip from Cine City of a Swedish VHS. Strange that Giancarlo Rizzi, the composer of the film’s music only made one score.

This for me was solidly average. straightforward plot but a little slow moving, and i couldn’t really take to Tab Hunter, he’s ok but there was something missing for me. the little twist at the end wasn’t really, it was quite predictable. anybody else think Mimmo Palamerro looks like Al Pacino? 5/10.

Repeat viewing for this one. I felt that Tab Hunter didn’t leave much of an impression the first time through in a rehashed story, but watching it again it turned out to be quite an experience. Not bad after all!

Sceriffo Durango (Tab Hunter) is about to get married. But, as fate and script will have it, his bride and her family are brutally murdered shortly before the wedding. Understandably, Durango is devastated and decides to track down the men who killed them. His only clue: a musical pocket watch, not this one: http://www.themusicalpocketwatch.com.
A: Took me four days to trudge through this atavistic nonsense.
B: Fairly entertaining Spaghetti Western telling a very simple revenge story; Hunter tormented enough, Piero Lulli malignly full of vim and vigor.

Curious about this one also, so I snatched a download - Checking quality, which looks OK for VHS
Noticed this little gaffe … Script Girl ! :thinking:

Fixed! :sunglasses:

script

1 Like

LOL … Thanks Massimo :rofl:

1 Like

1 Like

For the third evening in a row I watched a for me new SW.
All three, earlier Cjamango and Revenge for Revenge, and now Shotgun/Vengeance Is My Forgiveness, dealt with a revenging antihero.
The DVD-R was of an uneven VHS image quality, and also the story felt uneven with the usual too boring fist fights. On the other hand it surprisingly had Swedish subtitles.

The plot of Shotgun is similar to May God Forgive You … But I Won’t (6/10), El Rojo (weak 6/10) with the antihero taking revenge on the murderers of his family or planned-family-in law in this case. My first impression is that especially May God Forgive You … But I Won’t, but probably also El Rojo execute the simple story slightly better and more entertaining.
The strongest part IMO is the music in good traditional SW style, but it was used too seldom in the second part of the film. Another good thing is the absence of lightheartness and comedy.

So for now I will designate Shotgun a weak 6/10 rating, just after El Rojo on my SW Top 66 good for place 64.

Finally got to see a less than stellar copy of this film today after having it on my “Top 10 Unseen List” for quite some time. It has left me with some mixed feelings as I think it is a movie that could have been so much more than what it turned out to be in the end. While the plot was a very simple tale of “vengeance”, with just a bit more imagination on the part of Mauri and company, this could have turned out to be a really top-notch violent spaghetti western mystery. All the elements needed were there but, probably due to time constraints and budget, they took the easy way out and produced a production line B-movie albeit with some really good spaghetti western elements.

Though Tab Hunter made other westerns over the course of his career, the blonde beach boy just looked out of place to me in the Italian West. Every time he initiated a grizzly piece of business, I found myself pursing my lips and squinting my eyes as I just couldn’t quite buy that this goody two-shoes looking mofo would be up to such nastiness.

Did I enjoy it though? Yes. What bothers me is that there was a ton of potential there for me to enjoy it even more.

On a side note: Whoever was responsible for Erika Blanc’s singing voice should have been provided a bucket so that she had something to carry the tune in as she was incapable of carrying it on her own.

2 Likes

Thank you for that! :rofl:

2 Likes

Happy to provide some amusement. :laughing:

2 Likes

It was a perfect description of Tab Hunter :wink:

1 Like

The original Italian credits are in yellow lettering. The old TV recording from the Italian channel Odeon Tv is missing the brief scene below (a subsequent close-up of the head damaged by birds was cut by censors in March 1968)

VMP

In the English dub the first lines of Joan’s song (Dream and dream again, singing a song…) are preceded by other lyrics and the singer is not Mary Usuah, also known for Ed ora raccomanda l’anima a Dio.

1 Like

Having been ranked 83 of 83 SWs on my Top list with ratings 6/10 or higher I just have dowgraded it to 5/10 simply because I don’t want to watch it another time now, which should mean that it is not good or entertaing enough for me for a 6/10.

(Recently my habit is to watch my Top list SWs in reverse ranking order, and place 82 Wrath Of God (Alberto Carddone) also may be at risk since I hesitate to watch it.)

Shotgun has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

1 Like