Johnny Yuma (Romolo Guerrieri, 1966)

Always enjoyed this one a lot and it stands up to repeated viewings. In my opinion Guerrieri is one of the most under rated directors in 60s Italian cinema.

As for the parrot thing, I have often thought I should write something on the repeated use of this bird in Spaghetti Westerns. I talked about it to the Rev earlier this year when we were in Luton and still moderately sober. They crop up again and again and the main reason I havenā€™t written said article is I still donā€™t have any real theory as to why. Any psycho-Analytical theories Scherp? They do often seem to be linked in some way to sexuality although, again, I have no idea why.

Perhaps Iā€™ll start a thread to begin with to get examples out there and a discussion going. Who knows what late night drunken ramblings might illuminate the issue.

Always enjoyed this one a lot and it stands up to repeated viewings. In my opinion Guerrieri is one of the most under rated directors in 60s Italian cinema.

As for the parrot thing, I have often thought I should write something on the repeated use of this bird in Spaghetti Westerns. I talked about it to the Rev earlier this year when we were in Luton and still moderately sober. They crop up again and again and the main reason I havenā€™t written said article is I still donā€™t have any real theory as to why. Any psycho-Analytical theories Scherp? They do often seem to be linked in some way to sexuality although, again, I have no idea why.

Perhaps Iā€™ll start a thread to begin with to get examples out there and a discussion going. Who knows what late night drunken ramblings might illuminate the issue.

I havenā€™t got the slightest idea. Never heard parrots were symbols of fertility or anything, Iā€™ll try to find out. Might have been a joke among colleagues, though.

Was not what i expectedā€¦it was great @

It was already 10 years I saw this for the last time. Good film but also sadly flawed, it really takes its time to get going and with stupid saloon fight you might lose your interest before the good stuff. I donā€™t have a problem with Damon but then again Gemma would have been better choice for the lead. The mexican sidekick on the other hand is almost unnecessary character. But thereā€™s lots of good stuff in it, first of all: the theme song is one of my biggest favorites, something that stays in your head for days. Like all the others, I was also fascinated by Rosalba Neri. Film is also memorable for the violence, kicking the kid to death is a nasty scene, something you rarely see in any movie. Killing of a bad guy in the end in sadistic manner is also very brutal (and makes you wanna cheer, guy gets what he deserves).

My rating: 7/10

1 Like

I rewatched this last night mainly for Rosalba Neri ( Boy, is she ever attractive in this, canā€™t imagine another women in the role,) and because the score is classic, and will get stuck in your head for days. Has to be my favorite spaghetti western with Damon in the lead role. Outside of Damon and Neri, the rest of the cast isnā€™t memorable.

I think Signora Neriā€™s Western film career ā€“ seventeen movies in nine years, from 1966 to 1974 ā€“ reached its apogee in Tonino Ricciā€™s Monta in sella, figlio di ā€¦! (1972). Not the best Western she was in, but her best part: she plays a strong-willed, independent-minded gambler and trickster ā€“ and yes, she looks simply stunning. A nice interview with her in later years can be viewed on YouTube.

Nice interview with Neri there. And good to see she looks back so fondly and positively on her career.

1 Like

Wild East:

Mill Creek:

Wild East:

Mill Creek:

Wild East:

Mill Creek:

Wild East:

Mill Creek:

Wild East:

Mill Creek:

1 Like

As reported by Anti-Hero on Dirty Pictures, Johnny Yuma will be released on DVD next January by Colosseo Film.

Itā€™s a pity thereā€™s no Koch release.

Why. Colosseo ainā€™t that bad a company surely :slight_smile:

I only have One After Another. Are their other releases all very good?

So far, Colosseo has released only a handful of Westerns: I watched its DVDs of Uno dopo lā€™altro, Rafael Romero Marchentā€™s ĀæQuiĆ©n grita venganza?, JosĆ© Luis Merinoā€™s RĆ©quiem para el gringo and Luigi Vanziā€™s Un dollaro tra i denti. All are fine.

Yes, One After Another is a very nice release. Iā€™ll consider buying Johnny Yuma if the transfer is much better than the Wild East and Mill Creek versions. Hopefully itā€™ll have English audio.

I really have no idea why some people dislike this movie so much. Iā€™ve seen it many times and it gets better and better. For me this is simply Guerrieriā€™s best western. The screenplay is fantastic and Guerreriā€™s direction is nothing but astounding. It has also one of the more original stories and characters including clean shaven hero, which is to be honest quite refreshing to see in SW lands and also courageous considerig the trend was just the opposite at the time. The cool thing is how Guerrieri transfers from fun side to exciting action. Some scenes are sooo tense, while others are funny. I liked even the bar brawl and did not find it disturbing at all. It does not feel like it does not belong there. The hated side kick is actually funny and so are Johnny Yumaā€™s one liners and dialogues. I always burst out laughing when Dobkins asks Johnny ā€œWhy did not you cover me?ā€ and Yuma replies with a smile on his face ā€œWell, I could not I was reloading!ā€ :smiley: From the first sequence which could be named ā€œHow to sell a horseā€ you know this is not to be taken too serioiusly! ā€œOk, Letā€™s go in and close the sale. The drinks are on me. Whatā€™s the matter, youā€™re chicken, Hawkeye?ā€ There are so many highlights, original ideas and memorable scenes in the movie I could hardly pick just one. If I was forced Iā€™d pick the nasty torture scene and the final shootout. I loved the music effects. There are well convinced scenes that include some kind of suprise using mirros, towel, watches, the water flasksā€¦ Itā€™s brutal and itā€™s ironic - thatā€™s how I like it! Actors were all great, itā€™s withouth any doubt Damonā€™s best western and Rosalbaā€™s too. She plays such an evil twisted manipulative bitch! And the guy who played Pedro managed to potray the sadistic incest villain excellently. The rest of the cast is pretty good either. The Almeria locations look so good in here and the camerawork belongs to genreā€™s best offerings.

2 Likes

I fully agree with Diamond aboveā€¦ Just love this film and the Almeria locations well chosenā€¦ I normally don,t what films over and over again but this one gets a viewing once a year and never get tired of it and always spot something different in the scenesā€¦Should be given more credit

3 Likes

My Colosseo DVD arrived today, and I can say it was well worth the wait. Really good audio/video, and you even get the Wild East interview with Mark Damon. Oh and English subtitles!

I never did manage to get a copy of the Wild East version, so I canā€™t really compare them.

You can use my screen-shots.

Ah-ha! Just saw em :slight_smile:

Just watched this and enjoyed it, well made with a different plot compared to those you normally see in this genre. Gotta be honest, I watched $!0000 Blood Money years ago and didnā€™t like it, but watching Vengeance is Mine (which is one of the best in my humble) and this one made me think I should give it another go.

1 Like