John Ford

Carrying on from the topic in the last western thread; let’s start with this question, what is your favorite Ford Western?

Mine:

1. Stagecoach
  2. Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  3. Sergeant Rutledge
  4. Rio Grande
  5. My Darling Clementine
  1. Fort Apache
  2. The man who shot Liberty Valence
  3. The Searchers
  4. The Horse soldiers
  5. Cheyenne Autumn

Is Horse Soldiers really a Western? I haven’t seen it and know little about it but does it feel Western even in a Civil War setting? And I mean not Western set.

I’ve seen a few John Ford Westerns; Stagecoach is probably the most influential Western ever made, however, I admire it more than I like it. Perhaps I need to watch it again. I have always felt that The Searchers is vastly overrated despite good cinematography. The Quiet Man is okay, with lovely photography but the plot doesn’t really bare thinking about and everything is as Irish as Irish can be. His best films are the Cavalry Trilogy (Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande) and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

1- My Darling Clementine
2- Cheyenne Autumn
3- Sergeant Rutledge
4- The Horse Soldiers
5- Fort Apache

The classical ones, are not my favourites, I like more it’s “revolutionary” films, to be honest I think that in those films his hability as a director comes out the better, and we can see as well it’s true nature as a person, throught it’s direction.

That’s of course always the question with Civil War Westerns (or Civil War non westerns)
I usually consider Civil War movies westerns, but I am - admittedly - not very strict at those things. Classifications don’t mean very much to me, I leave those things up to film critics with a “Masters Degree in film studies”

Joking apart I accept that there’s a grey area; films like Gettysburg or Glory can hardly be called anything else than war movies

Ahh, I do like a top 5 every now and again :slight_smile:

For me Ford’s best western are, in no particular order:

Stagecoach
My Darling Clementine
Fort Apache
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Searchers

But I also have a soft spot for The Wagon Master and The 3 Godfathers. Maybe not masterpieces but I always enjoy them and actually think T3G is one of Wayne’s best performances.

As for Ford’s non westerns… The Grapes of Wrath gets that award for me.

So what it will be an western something between 1965 and 1900?

I think that some American civil war films can be considered primary as war movies (the red badge of honour comes to mind), like any other war of the 19th century, no problem with that.
The essence a western film it’s the conquer of the wild west, the unknown territory, and it’s colonization, and pacification, this made by some of us (Europeans) and the changings involved in that process, the so called wild west would the North American territoory (USA and Canada) and Mexico (otherwise Aguirre the wrath of god or Cabeza de Vaca would be Westerns) and it’s time window would be all of the 19th century and the beggining of he 20th century. Some of that happened during the Civil War, films like Major Dundee, or The Alamo are westerns to me not war films

1. The Searchers
  2. Wagonmaster
  3. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
  4. My Darling Clementine
  5. Stagecoach
  1. My Darling Clementine 9/10
  2. Wagonmaster 9
  3. Fort Apache 9
  4. The Searchers 8
  5. Stagecoach 8
  6. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 7
  7. 3 Bad Men 7
  8. 3 Godfathers 7
  9. The Iron Horse 7
  10. The Horse Soldiers 7
  11. Drums Along the Mohawk 7
  12. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon 7
  13. Two Rode Together 7
  14. Cheyenne Autumn 6
  15. Rio Grande 6
  16. Sergeant Rutledge 5

And the films from #6 to #12 could also be in reverse or another order.

The Horse Soldiers is definitely a western for me. The differences to his Indian/Cavalry films are only marginal.

I think it is officially considered a Western. After all, it does have wayne

The only 2 I know I’ve seen are The Searchers and Stagecoach. I liked the first one when I saw it as a kid (I think the child aspect meant more to me), but wasn’t so keen on a second viewing recently when it was on the box.
I half-watched the latter recently as the choirmistress took a film studies option as one of her modules for an OU degree and this was on it. It was OK, better than I’d feared it would be and I enjoyed the banter of the ‘romance’ - I can see it’s a good film, but not really my cuppa tea overall.
I’ve got TMWSLV but I haven’t got around to taking the cellophane of yet.
I haven’t really got much to say then have I? … and certainly no top 5 to be had.
I think I’ll stick to spags.*
[*less Indians.]

I’ve seen none.

Seen a few a long time ago. Will watch them again before I die so better get my skates on :smiley:

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:13, topic:2321”]I’ve got TMWSLV but I haven’t got around to taking the cellophane of yet.
I haven’t really got much to say then have I? … and certainly no top 5 to be had.
I think I’ll stick to spags.*
[*less Indians.][/quote]
Watch it, I think you’ll enjoy it. There’s no Indians in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence either. The cast is great as well: James Stewart, Lee Marvin (as Liberty Valence) and John Wayne (in a more of a supporting role), with very nice black and white photography.

Wayne’s role is larger than that. but what would really catch a spaghetti fans interest is Lee Van Cleef is in it as one of Marvin’s goons. Along with Strother Martin. And Woody Strode for good measure.

spoilers Yeah, pretty funny scene when John Wayne kicks him out of the saloon

The Searchers
Rio Grande
Fort Apache
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

John Ford is the shit yo

I suppose you could say it was a “large” supporting role. Remember, you see everything through Jimmy Stewart’s viewpoint and thus only meet Wayne when Stewart does.