I Just Bought … (the SW Shopping Diary)

Crap, I have already ordered it >:(

[quote=“Provvidenza, post:2499, topic:69”]@ Søren + Jonny Powers - I only collect SW DVDs, I have a few posters but no soundtracks or other memorabilia to spend my money on or keep track of. :slight_smile:
@ Søren - compared Dicke Luft discs (I have all three) the new one is the same as the old two (scratched up) but made anamorphic and perhaps filtered or sharpened a little. I hope this is not going to be a comon thing in the future, just re-releasing non-anamorphic discs made anamorphic by simply resizing the image. :([/quote]
Collecting ‘only’ the dvds would also be the most sane thing to do. But then again, sanity is overrated :slight_smile:

Thanks for the Dicke Luft info. It’s ok that they are re-releasing the movies I guess. Means there’s a sizeable (German) market at least.

The Man Who Killed Billy the Kid disc seems to be only 82 minutes according to ofdb.de while the old Spanish disc is 97min. Both disc infos seem to have been submitted by someone who actually owns the discs (they are commenting on image quality).

The German cut is 85 min’s according to Bruckner’s Für ein paar Leichen mehr, that corresponds to the roughly 82 min. PAL-time. The dvd also contains extra scenes amounting to 16 minutes with Spanish dub and German subs so then we’re back at the original 97 minutes which corresponds to the uncut cut which should be 101 minutes, when taking PAL speed-up into account.

They used a German 35mm master it seems so it all makes sense I guess.

Got the folloing today:

Garringo (Explosive Media DVD)
Return of Sabata (Explosive Media BluRay)
Adios Sabata (Explosive Media BluRay)
Big Gundown (Explosive Media BluRay)
Sein Wechselgeld ist Blei (MLV BluRay)
Preparati la bara (3L BluRay in Bud Spencer & Terence Hill 10-movie Jubiläum Box)

[quote=“Søren, post:2504, topic:69”]The German cut is 85 min’s according to Bruckner’s Für ein paar Leichen mehr, that corresponds to the roughly 82 min. PAL-time. The dvd also contains extra scenes amounting to 16 minutes with Spanish dub and German subs so then we’re back at the original 97 minutes which corresponds to the uncut cut which should be 101 minutes, when taking PAL speed-up into account.

They used a German 35mm master it seems so it all makes sense I guess.[/quote]
Yes on the Wild Coyote release they have considered the international short cut of the movie with about 82:14min runtime (85min in Cinema).
The scenes from the long spanish version are only in the bonus section with spanish language and German subs.
As far as I know no master in original aspect ration was available anymore so Wild Coyote scanned the last existing German 35mm print. So ,the advantage of the Wild Coyote release is the original aspect ratio of 1:2.35, a better picture quality and German and English dub. Spanish dvd has long version (about 97min) but wrong apect ratio 1:1.85 and only spanish language.

Alright, thanks.

So all these Wild Coyote discs have been made from some old German prints? Maybe better prints (even the negatives) exist but either cost too much to access and scan them or the Italians/Spanish simply won’t allow use of them?
As far as I know 3L had to release several of the Spencer/Hill movies from old shitty German prints not because better ones doesn’t exist but because the Italian right holders didn’t agree to give (or scan) them the negatives.

Also, what exactly is the source for the English audio then? VHS?

Are you sure? It should all-new HD transfers for the ones in this set at least and seems that way also when checking against ofdb.de but could have missed a title :slight_smile:

Sorry, I have no background information concerning the masters. But I know for sure they`re scanned from 35mm.
Also no information concerning the sources of english audio.

But I can help you with some screenshots:

“The man who killed Billy the kid” Wild Coyote dvd:

[/url]

“Buccaroo” Wild Coyote dvd

“$100.000 for Ringo” Wild Coyote dvd

[url=http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3996/43qfpwj5_png.htm][url]url] - directupload.net

“Billy the kid” is the best and cleanest print, while “Ringo” is dirty but with good colours. “Bucaroo” is “in the middle”.

Thank you Grinder for the screenshots!

Well that is what I read at cinefacts.de a long time ago (but I don’t know German so… :wink: ) and saw some screenshots.

First Trinity is clearly from an old print and five months later it came out in Spain from what I assume original negatives. The Spanish company ruined it with all the filtering but it is clearly from a superior source.
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=5186&disc2=3707&cap1=48348&cap2=34311&art=full&image=8&hd_multiID=1539&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

I’m for the Hippopotamus has the shorter version in HD from an old German print I think and the longer Italian version is presented in SD only.

And All the Way Boys is also from a German print but in this case the German version is longer than any other version so… I think it has the shorter version included in SD.

Anyways, I think the HD material looks just fine (with some problems) so calling them shitty German prints is of course too much but they certainly aren’t from the OCN. :wink:

Ah ok. Thanks for the info.

None of the movies mentioned are thankfully in the box I got :slight_smile: The question is of course if any better releases will ever appear. I’ll double-check before buying anymore 3L Spencer/Hill movies then :slight_smile:

This just came in the mail:

Django, unerbittlich bis zum Tod / Django & Sartana kommen (Blu-Ray)

I’ve updated my Koch Media Italowestern Enzyklopädie with No. 2 & 3

They provide for each film the German, English and Italian version but only with German subtitles

Yes, if the English dub is included they tend to skip the English subs. Still more than one could/should expect from any German movie publisher though :slight_smile: Great sets those Enzyklopädies… Just ‘finished’ watching set 1 and 2. Great quality and some nice interviews as extras on there aswell.

Haven’t been too into spaghettis lately but I’ve just ordered the Day of Anger Blu Ray which I haven’t seen in years, so, should enjoy a re-watch. I also ordered The Bounty Killer which I’ve never seen!

At the same time I ordered a Blu Ray of Gettysburg which I haven’t seen either and taped One Damned Day At Dawn… doesn’t look that bad!

EDS release of Bullet For Sandoval, and a couple of Hundar Westerns, Hour of Death, and The Adam West one.

If anyone wants to try their luck, the Hallelujah Italo-Western Box set is up for grabs for a cheap starting price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121662665881?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

so is the Sollima-Box: [url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Italo-Western-DVD-Box-Sergio-Sollima-Lexikon-rar-/281709183155?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item41972d00b3[/url]

The Sollima-box isn’t as wanted as it used to be. Even on amazon.de it can be had for relatively cheap:

http://www.amazon.de/Sergio-Sollima-Italo-Western-Box-DVDs/dp/B000786OKK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433320816&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=sollimax+box

Right you are. I see, the films of the Hallelujah Box aren’t available as single films (They Call Me Hallelujah & They Call Him Cemetery at least) so the value of the box is relatively high. However, IMHO I think the Sollima Box is still the most precious SW artefact :smiley: