I Just Bought … (the SW Shopping Diary)

Disappointing release that I was looking forward to buying, but now I won’t.

Very shoddy release. Will stick with the T.V print with subtitles that are in sync.

Is this the same company who are releasing that PLL western and that Buckaroo one with Dean Reed? Because the Sonora dvd has put me in a difficult spot about their future releases.

More catching up/regaining lost ground. The following turned up:

Wild East:
Django Meets Sartana / Dead Men Don’t Make Shadows
Arizona Colt / Arizona Colt Hired Gun
It Can Be Done… Amigo!
A Place Called Glory / Road to Fort Alamo
Sartana’s Here… Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin / Django Against Sartana
Alive or Preferably Dead / (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang)

Koch Media:
Mörder des Klans (new edition)
Drei Kugeln für Ringo
Shangos letzter Kampf
Schneller als 1000 Colts

Hello,
I have heard from Stanton about Sonora discussion here.
I cannot tell anything about the subtitle problem because I only have watched the dvd in German yet.
But I can help with the picture / aspect ratio question:

From my knowledge the Wild Coyote (sublabel of Explosive Media) release is using the same master that was shown by some Italian TV channel.
The master and so the TV print was open matte (original 1,37:1) so it is correct that for a 16:9 dvd relase the picture is masked to get the right aspect ratio.
Unfortunately it is not that easy to get 100% proof information about that cinema aspect ratio.
1,85:1 is possible but more likely it is 1,66:1 for Sonora.
In the bonus section of the dvd there is also a transfer from one of the two last existing German 35mm prints. The picture is in 1,37:1 that means the cinema operator had to mask the film to show the correct aspect ratio on the screen.
Here are some screenshots of this version:

[/url] [url=http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3950/bcghwkum_png.htm][url]url] - directupload.net

Please decide for yourself if masking to 1,85:1 or 1,66:1 is “better”. I would say 1,66:1.
Anyway it should be no problem to have 1,56:1 aspect ratio taken from an open matte version on the dvd because also then more parts of the picture are shown as in cinema.
It is not necessary and als not common in nowadays to use the open matte “4:3” master non anamorphic on a dvd dedicated for a 16:9 TV.

Concerning the upcoming Wild Coyote releases (The man who shot Billy the kid, Buckaroo, $100.000 for Ringo):
The label has made new masters for the releases scanned from the last existing German 35mm copies as there was no possibility to get other comparable good material.
The picture quality for sure will not be on HD level but nevertheless quite good. There will be an advise on the discs concerning the used masters and that the picture is not cleaned from all the dirt.
Explosive Media is releasing such rare material under the Wild Coyote banner on a lower price level.
From my point of view such work should be supported and also the Sonora dvd is the best one available so far.

“From my point of view such work should be supported and also the Sonora dvd is the best one available so far.

Definitely. I will rather have original dvd and support company and hoping they release some more. Slipcase is nice too :wink:

Going to order titles they released last friday.

Rest assured that at the end of the day (week, year) I will must surely get me all them Wild Coyote spaghetti releases. That said flaws in sent out releases will of course be discussed. The more obscure the movie the more one is willing to see through fingers with those :slight_smile:

The 3 new Spaghetti releases from Wild Coyote arrived this morning.

Centomila dollari per Ringo - Audio English and German, no subtitles, 16:9 very beat up print, cut/shortened scenes shown 4:3 with English audio as extras.
This is the 314th Spaghetti Western I’ve watched on DVD so am glad to add it to my collection even though the quality is not great.

Not watched the other two Wild Coyote DVDs yet, but also picked up their Sonora release (hopefully an improvement on the Italian disc), Savoys’ 5 Man Army and STARMOVIEs’ Dicke Luft in Sacramento which is listed as Widescreen 2.35:1 Anamorphic.

More SW DVDs on the way :slight_smile:

Nice. Do you know if that there Dicke Luft is a better quality release than the ‘old’ X-Rated one ?

You have a list? :o

[quote=“Søren, post:2489, topic:69”]Nice. Do you know if that there Dicke Luft is a better quality release than the ‘old’ X-Rated one ?[/quote] Just watched this, it is 16:9, but it looks as if the non-anamorphic (X-Rated and VZM) version has been made anamorphic, they just zoomed in on the picture?

[quote=“Jonny Powers, post:2490, topic:69”]You have a list? :o[/quote] A list of all the SW I have watched can be found here [url]iCheckMovies, this really helps me keep track of what I have and haven’t already seen. I have a word document that lists all my SW DVD collection, I’ve lots of movies duplicated on different releases, ocd?

So the new release is basically just a relaunch of the old one!?

By the way I also keep track of what I’ve watched. I use a simple text-document, though. Nothing fancy. Also keep a list of what releases I’ve got from which company and their approx. specs. Not OCD, just common sense :slight_smile: Am also trying to get put together a list of what publicity material (move program, posters etc.) I’ve got for each movie combined with any dvd/blu-ray release I may have combined with any soundtrack I may have for the specific movie. Now, that’s bordering on OCD, but at least it keeps me off the streets.

I’ve got me a list of all my books, movies, etc organized in alphabetical order by format-author last name-title (for books) and alphabetical order by format-title (for movies). SW’s get a separate section due to their ease in establishing defining criteria, along with Poliziotteschi/EuroCrime, and Macaroni Combat. As far as keeping track of what I’ve watched, well, I haven’t seen more than 120 or so spags so I tend to remember bits when I come across them again. No matter how forgettable they are, the spags with the many titles are the ones you recognize most, mainly cause you don’t want to watch them again! ;D

Does the Buccaroo (Wild Coyote) release have Italian audio? As Amazon.de and Amazon.it has it as just having German audio with german and English subs. This sites database has it listed as having Italian audio but unsure how accurate that is since its just come out?

Watched Sonora today. Picture is just about acceptable. English subtitling is abysmal, a fair chunk of what is said is not even translated, and when it is its quite out of sync as others have said. Also what is translated is just a rough translation, not literal. They even over translate some lines, adding in responses even when its obvious the person did not say anything! You can get the gist of the story and overall im glad I bought it as its a really good film but probably some of the worst subs ive seen on a commercial release.

also , the Alive AG website has Buccaroo down as having Italian audio:

[url]http://www.alive-ag.de/index.php?page=artikel&ArtikelNr=6415832[/url]

www.ofdb.de is the site I use for German releases. They are usualy very reliable:

So, Italian and German dub + English and German subs.

Just got Man of the East (Koch Media BluRay)

[quote=“Søren, post:2496, topic:69”]www.ofdb.de is the site I use for German releases. They are usualy very reliable:

So, Italian and German dub + English and German subs.[/quote]
Unfortunately the Buckaroo release is not english friendly.
The main movie is in German language taken from an 35mm print with 77min runtime.
In the bonus section is an Italian version, about 88min and with German and Italian language. Only German subtitels for the Italian only parts are considered.
The other two new Wild Coyote releases have english dub instead.

@ the_ugly - Just had a quick look at Buccaroo, there are two versions of the film on this disc, the main one (grainy picture 01:17:03) has German audio no subtitles, the one accessible through the Bonus menu (blurry picture 01:28:20) has German and Italian audio no subtitles. This is in conflict with the options on the DVD menu itself, but correctly listed on the back of the DVD case.
@ Søren + Jonny Powers - I only collect SW DVDs, I have a few posters but no soundtracks or other memorabilia to spend my money on or keep track of. :slight_smile:
@ Søren - compared Dicke Luft discs (I have all three) the new one is the same as the old two (scratched up) but made anamorphic and perhaps filtered or sharpened a little. I hope this is not going to be a comon thing in the future, just re-releasing non-anamorphic discs made anamorphic by simply resizing the image. :frowning:

Edit: NINJA’D by Grinder

[quote=“Grinder, post:2498, topic:69”]Unfortunately the Buckaroo release is not english friendly.
The main movie is in German language taken from an 35mm print with 77min runtime.
In the bonus section is an Italian version, about 88min and with German and Italian language. Only German subtitels for the Italian only parts are considered.
The other two new Wild Coyote releases have english dub instead.[/quote]
So the main movie is in German only with no subtitles and as extra the Italian version with German and Italian dub but only German subtitles for not-in-German-dubbed parts? And no English subtitles at all? Someone should probably edit ‘our own’ specs for the release then:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Buckaroo/DVD

Damn, if those Wild Coyote-releases are going to be hit and miss.