I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

The obvious issues are cost and space which can be a problem for some people. Not everyone have bottomless pockets of cash and a warehouse for their collections. You should respect the people like me who shell out the cash even though they’re on a limited budget instead of stealing it off the internet like many people do (even some with the money to buy them).

I always try to buy when I can, and prefer to have actual releases… but my financial situation has been a fucking joke for years and really I shouldn’t be buying anything at all.

So yeah, it can be frustrating to have to buy the same movie more than once

I can understand part of that, as I also own several thousand films on VHS, DVD and Blu. But I can’t understand some people’s complaints about double- or triple buying. I have many films on VHS which I haven’t bought again on DVD or Blu, because I’m fine with having them on VHS. Some I have on VHS, DVD and Blu. But that’s because I wanted to buy them in these formats. It’s not like someone forced me to do this. And I don’t have much money.
My comment was maybe a bit harsh, but I am just a bit tired with some of the whining that goes like “not yet another release” instead of “great, another release!”. As I said, nobody forces anyone to buy anything, and I think it’s great that different companies release different versions, so that there is competition and quality releases of films have a chance of being made, and I as a customer can decide if I think a release is worth my money, instead of actually being compelled to buy a mediocre release of a film, simply because it’s the only one on the market. Many films on VHS have never been released on DVD or Blu, and I would be delighted, if there was a new release of some of the films, and I wouldn’t have to watch them in cropped and dubbed versions. I certainly wouldn’t say “why, oh why is there a new release”. :wink:

Yeah, I wont rebuy most of the films I have on DVD. I will choose to upgrade here and there if I really like the film. And don’t forget, there will likely be another format change in future where your brand new TGTBATU Blu Ray will sell for peanuts on ebay. So be wary ;D

And don't forget, there will likely be another format change in future where your brand new TGTBATU Blu Ray will sell for peanuts on ebay. So be wary ;D

They’ve already got 8K lol that will be the next thing. I will get the 4K of GBU remastered when it’s released on it’s own and that’s only because it’s my #1 favourite movie of all time and that’s also only if it’s a vast improvement over the existing blu ray.

…back on topic…I ordered the Red Heat / Running Man double feature blu ray (2 individual discs in one case) off ebay today.

^Red Heat is good, but Running Man…meah!

I know the feeling.

Django Unchained on Blu-ray - not one I’ve yet seen.

I picked up Goldfinger and Blade Runner (final cut version) on blu ray today.

Upgrades from DVD to blu-ray:

Got them in Amazon’s “2 for £10” offer. At the time I ordered them they amounted to close to £30. They’ve gone down since but they’re still over twenty quid total. Bargain!

I just bought a few John Wayne oaters on DVD. Hope the Duke lives up to my expectations!

I got the Alien Anthology blu ray set today at the mall. Also have The Thing and Predator blu rays coming in the mail.

New Blu-ray:

New blus:

Taxi Driver
The Matrix

Picked up Dead or Alive Unrated, upgrade form my R rated one. Also picked up a couple anime discs, Appleseed Ex Machina and Urda: The Third Reich

The Good, The Bad and The Weird blu-ray.

Good film, that.

Upgrade from DVD to blu-ray:

Not an “I Just Bought”, but an “I Just Ditched”:

An American Haunting (Solomon, 2005)
Bullet in the Head (Woo, 1990)
Bully (Clark, 2001)
Cabin Fever (Roth, 2002)
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever (West, 2009)
Catfish (Joost/Schulman, 2010)
Catterick (TV Series) (2004)
Chopper (Dominik, 2000)
Cracker: The Complete Collection (TV Series) (1993-96, 2006)
Cronos (del Toro, 1993)
Cruise of the Gods (Lowney, 2002)
Dead or Alive (Miike, 1999)
Director’s Commentary (TV Series) (2004)
The Driller Killer (Ferrara, 1979)
The Fourth Kind (Osunsanmi, 2009)
Freezer (Ishii, 2000)
Fright Night 2: New Blood (Rodriguez, 2013)
Funland (TV Series) (2005)
Funny Games (Haneke, 1997)
Funny Games (Haneke, 2007)
Gainsbourg (Sfar, 2010)
Grave Encounters 2 (Poliquin, 2012)
Grindhouse Trailer Classics (2007)
H (Lee, 2002)
The Happening (Shyamalan, 2008)
Hard Boiled (Woo, 1992)
Bill Hicks: One Night Stand (TV Special) (1991)
Bill Hicks: Relentless (Bould, 1992)
I Spit on Your Grave (Zarchi, 1978)
I Spit on Your Grave (Monroe, 2010)
If… (Anderson, 1968)
In Cold Blood (Brooks, 1967)
An Inconvenient Truth (Guggenheim, 2006)
Into the Mirror (Kim, 2003)
Kurt & Courtney (Broomfield, 1998)
Marion & Geoff: Series 1 (TV Series) (2000)
Marion & Geoff: Series 2 (TV Series) (2003)
Memento Mori (Kim/Min, 1999)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (Heslov, 2009)
The Munsters: The Complete First Season (TV Series) (1964)
My Name is Bruce (Campbell, 2007)
My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117 (Morris, 2002)
Nightmares & Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King (TV Series) (2006)
Nil by Mouth (Oldman, 1997)
The Notorious Bettie Page (Harron, 2005)
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Coen, 2000)
The Omega Man (Sagal, 1971)
Ordinary People (Redford, 1980)
Orphan (Collet-Serra, 2009) BLU-RAY
The Orphanage (Bayona, 2007)
Public Enemy Live From House of Blues (Asmussen, 2001)
The Royal Tenenbaums (Anderson, 2001)
The Science of Sleep (Gondry, 2006)
Tony (Johnson, 2009)
Versus (Kitamura, 2000)
Wake Wood (Keating, 2010)
The Zombie Diaries (Bartlett/Gates, 2006)
The Zombie Diaries 2: World of the Dead (Bartlett/Gates, 2011)

Just had a big spring clean of the DVD collection, and I’ve removed all of those titles. Most were bought blind from a second-hand market stall for only a couple of quid or so each; some are decent titles but I just can’t see myself watching them again any time either soon or… well, ever I guess.

Ouch… some favourite films there: O Brother Where Art Thou?, If, Cronos to name but a few…

Yeah, you bought some great films there, some favorites of mine would be Dead or Alive, Day of the Woman, The Royal Tenenbaums,…

I also bought some none-SW stuff recently:

Friedrich Schiller (Curt Goetz, 1923)
The Mummy (Karl Freund, 1932)
The Time Machine (George Pal, 1960)
Coal Miner’s Daughter (Michael Apted, 1980)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Amy Heckerling, 1982)
The Yellow Handkerchief (Udayan Prasad, 2008)

and the first Season of The Simpsons (1990) and Shameless (2012).