I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

Just ordered:

[quote=“last.caress, post:2121, topic:496”]Just ordered:

[/quote]

Hey last.caress please let my know how “Blood Glacier” was. I was thinking of getting this one but since the Austrians are not well known for making famous horror movie I was wondering if this could be a waste of money…?

The Hills Run Red and Dead Men Ride Koch Media (FINALLY! ;D) Rainbow dvds. And just won autographs of Peter Weller and Treat Williams ;D ;D.

Just PRE-ordered (won’t be out until March 2015):

Deadwood, complete series on blu-ray. I think that the picture above is the US release, I don’t know if the UK release will be the same or if, as with the DVDs, we will be shockingly short-changed (the season two UK DVD box-set rather cruelly listed all of the numerous cast & crew commentaries for the episodes, even though those commentaries weren’t actually present on the R2 sets. Fuckbums).

Those discs arrived yesterday TucoBene, I’ll have a look at them over the weekend and let you know what I thought of Blood Glacier. Some time before Monday, for sure.

Blood Glacier is a good, but not great horror film. 6/10

White house down&supernatural season9.

I’d say it’s worth a punt if you’re not spending too much. It’s an interesting film, and a huge love letter to John Carpenter’s The Thing (just to be clear, it’s not in that league by any means). Makes good and enthusiastic use of practical effects - reminding me how much is CGI these days in creature features - and the characters are all different and likable. If there’s a downside (and it’s quite a biggie, unfortunately) I’d say that IMO it doesn’t do a great job of ratcheting up the tension or providing the scares. Everything’s a little at arm’s length. I was watching the horror unfold and thinking, “Oh, okay. This is happening now. Right,” instead of “AAAAAAARGHHHHSHITTINGCRIKEY!”, you know?

I thought it was worth the purchase, anyway. But it only cost me £3.32 (roughly €4.15).

Picked up Anchor Bay’s Werner Herzog 5 film DVD boxset recently.

Thank you for your detailed lines on Blood Glacier. Sounds as if it’s worth a look – I will consult eBay soon :slight_smile:

Good set. I like the Herzog/Kinskihttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Herzog-Kinski-Box-Set-DVD/dp/B00018HU68/ boxset better, mind you.

I wouldn’t mind the BFI Werner Herzog Collection, either. Might treat myself after Christmas. I’d still have to keep the Anchor Bay sets though since Even Dwarfs Started Small and the magnificent My Best Fiend aren’t on the blu-rays.

Beggars can’t be choosers when one comes across it in a charity shop ;). The BFI BD set does indeed look very impressive.

Just found these Shaw Bros. kung-fu films in a charity-shop, on VHS:

Men from the Monastery
Saviour of the Soul
The One-Armed Boxer

Grabbed a few things over the last couple weeks:

Bloodsport/Timecop blu ray
The Raid: Redemption Best Buy limited edition blu ray steelbook
Preorder of Grindhouse’s The Beyond & Cat in the Brain package from Diabolik

[quote=“John Welles, post:2132, topic:496”]Just found these Shaw Bros. kung-fu films in a charity-shop, on VHS:

Men from the Monastery
Saviour of the Soul
The One-Armed Boxer
[/quote]
Only men from the monastery is shaw brothers movie.

Haha thanks, haven’t had a proper chance to research them, although a cursory search on Amazon makes it seem like they don’t have DVD releases…

You are welcome. I have seen saviour of the sould maybe once decades ago and honestly dont remember was it good or bad. One armed boxer I rate as best jimmy wang yu he made outside shaw studios...and I have seen men from the monastery ~15 times so its anyones guess do I love that flick :smiley: ::slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Took advantage of Raro’s 50% off sale to preorder Killer Cop and get Uomini Contro as well :smiley:

This week, Santa brought me:

New DVD:

New Blu-Ray:

So far I got:
The Bond 50 Blu-Ray collection
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Blu-Ray

Think I’ll be getting more :smiley:

These classics of Italian cinema came on BD yesterday: Once upon a Time in America Extended Cut, Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion and Deep Red.