I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

Hope you had a good one John.

Just ordered:

[size=8pt](The Beguiled, Breezy, Coogan’s Bluff, The Eiger Sanction, High Plains Drifter, Joe Kidd, Play Misty For Me, Two Mules For Sister Sara)[/size]

The DVD box-set was £15, the blus were in a “2 for £10” promotion. I’ve already got High Plains Drifter and Play Misty For Me, and I’ve just ordered Two Mules For Sister Sara on blu-ray. Even so, the box-set still only works out at £3 per movie for the five films I haven’t got, so it’s all good.

Just won NoShame’s Colt 38 Special Squad + The Rip-Off on eBay for $20 ;D looking forward to a couple more Poliziottos to watch!

I encountered a store with some interesting dvd’s. You could take any of them, as long as you replaced them with one of your own. So, I gave them a bunch of crap and got these in return:

I may have broken the system ;D

The Secret Agent is minor Hitch, but nevertheless really quite interesting, with good performances from John Gielgud and Peter Lorre and unexpectedly quite serious and meaningful. Hud is Martin Ritt’s best film, and probably Newman’s too - very powerful and stark.

Look at the cover closetly, John! It’s not the one by Hitch. :smiley:

That one looks like the one by (Christopher Hampton) 1996 with Bob Hoskins and a young Christian Bale.

I like Hombre much more. A totally underrated film.

[quote=“Lone Gringo, post:2066, topic:496”]Look at the cover closetly, John! It’s not the one by Hitch. :smiley:

That one looks like the one by (Christopher Hampton) 1996 with Bob Hoskins and a young Christian Bale.[/quote]
Correct, based on a novel by Joesph Conrad, so should be interesting. imdb wise the least one of the bunch though. Not that that’s a valid indicator.

Curious about the Italian flicks. No expert on Italian neorealism, but seems like something I’d appreciate.

Funny, haven’t heard of Bellisima before, Umberto D. is terrific though.

Hombre is indeed a very good Western, one of the best adaptations of Elmore Leonard, and Paul Newman (an actor I’m liking more and more these days) is perfectly cast, but Hud delivers a more powerful emotional experience. Martin Ritt’s Westerns as a whole are very underrated (even the much maligned The Outrage).

@ Lone Gringo (can’t quote)

Opps! But Hitchcock also adapted Conrad’s novel, but as Sabotage (confusing, no?).

Just ordered:

All blu-ray replacements for DVDs I already own.

-
-

Carlotta’s French Blu-ray release of Heaven’s Gate arrived today (I would have gone for the Criterion, but I still don’t have a region free BD player yet).

What’s the running time of this release and does it have subtitle options?

I bought The Day Earth Stood Still blu-ray today.

It’s the 216 minute 2012 Criterion Director’s Cut (in other words. as opposed to the original 219 minute cut - it’s now without the intermission and (from IMDb) " reversed a “pull out” shot to a “pull in” and made a number of other tweaks as well as a re-tweak of the soundtrack"). It’s English audio with removable French subs - I’m not at home at the moment, so I don’t know if there are any more subtitle options, although my gut instinct says there isn’t. When I get back I’ll check and confirm.

My initial suspicions were correct: only English audio and only French subtitles.

What about the non English speaking scenes? I can’t remember if they were subtitled or not in the first place now.

[quote=“Lone Gringo, post:2072, topic:496”]-
-[/quote]I’ve got Sorcerer, watched it the other night, the transfer is stunning. I’ve got the U.K. Touch Of Evil and am waiting for my order of Get Carter (along with Exit Wounds) to arrive.

Have you seen the Siegel before? Wouldn’t mind checking it out at some point.

What do you think about it, Yodlaf? As far as I’m concerned I thought it was a truly neat and engrossing flick.

[quote=“Mickey13, post:2079, topic:496”]What do you think about it, Yodlaf? As far as I’m concerned I thought it was a truly neat and engrossing flick, what a pity there won’t be any director’s cut.[/quote]I enjoyed it, I still like French Connection the most though.