Giallo Genre (Italian Thrillers)

Here’s my Top 10 gialli (so far), what’s yours?

1. A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin 1971
  2. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage 1970
  3. The Psychic 1977
  4. Deep Red 1975
  5. Who Saw Her Die? 1972
  6. The Flower in His Mouth 1975
    7.The Killer Must Kill Again 1975
  7. Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key 1972
  8. Sleepless 2001
  9. Blood and Black Lace 1964

I think individual choices here will be much more diverse than in spaghetti westerns (although it would be surprising if Argento doesn’t get most mentions).

[glow=yellow,2,300]Nove ospiti per un delitto[/glow]

Great release … good movie !!!

Lucio Fulci’s Una sull’altra aka One on Top of the Other aka Pervesion Story (1969)

It’s Fulci’s movie, so all reviewers don’t forget to classify two things, so lets get that straight first: this one has lot of nudity and almost no gore. Biggest complaint is that the resolution of the plot is obvious. Marisa Mell, Jean Sorel and the rest of the cast do better than usual job for giallo here, so it’s a plus, but biggest star is San Francisco. There are lot of longer than necessary shots in which camera lingers on Frisco’s streets and panoramas. Obviously filmmakers wanted to get as much as they could from their attractive filming location. Thankfully, Riz Ortolani’s jazzy score is great in support role to accompany those travelesque shots.

[glow=yellow,2,300]DELIRIO CALDO[/glow]

Sleazy and trashy … for people who like weird movies ;D

La ragazza dal pigiama giallo (1977) (The Pyjama Girl Case)

I must admit I was a bit lazy while watching this film - because from the first few minutes I assumed that this is going to be standard slow-moving giallo police procedural with extra sleaze type of movie - so it took me by surprise. I don’t want to say anything else expect to recommend it as unique among gialli.

Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971)

Started good, but soon lost the pace and the ending in particular was a disappointing let down.
It stars Giancarlo Giannini though, as well as top notch ladies as far as giallo queens are concerned.
But the absolute star of the movie is Morricone’s score. It adds to the suspense actually more than the director and alone makes this movie worth watching.

@titoli
I’ve always found the ending quite brilliant. Different strokes for different folks :wink:

I found it very slow paced… almost comes to a standstill

The Case of the Scorpion’s Tail (1971)

One of the best (I’ve seen).

Very solid George Hilton and Anita Strindberg more lively than her usual ice-cold-beauty role. Great dissonant Nicolai score.

Here’s a list of Giallo’s that i have collected over the years, some that i have seen and some that i haven’t, yet.

Seen
Death Walks in High Heels, Death Walks at Midnight, Don’t Torture a Duckling, Forbidden Photos of a Lady Under Suspicion, Seven Notes on the Black, Puzzle, Dilirium, Seven Blood Stained Orchids, Tenebre, The House of the Laughing Windows, Knife of Ice, Death will Have your Eyes, A quiet place to Kill, Four Flies on Grey Velvet, Seven Dead in a Cat’s Eye, What have they done to Solange, Death Carries a Cane, Torso, So Sweet…So Dead, Killer must kill Again, Lizard in a Woman’s Belly, Strip for your Killer, All the Colors of the Dark, My Dear Killer, Black Belly of Tarantula, The Iguana with Tongue of Fire, Death Steps in the Dark, Plot of Fear, The Cat O’Nine Tails, Death Laid an Egg, The Pyjama Girl Case, Short Night of Glass Dolls, The Bloodstained Shadow, The Case of the Bloody Iris, Who Saw her Die, The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh, Amuck!, Your vice is a locked room and Only i have the Key.

Not seen yet.
Deep Red, Perversion Story, An Ideal Place to Kill, The Sweet Body of Deborah, So Sweet…So Perverse, Paranoia, The Killer reserved Nine Seats.

What are you waiting with Deep Red? :slight_smile:

I don’t know Titoli, i just haven’t gotten around to it. I have a huge pile of other films that i want to watch too.
Anyways, i found a few more that i had in my watch pile.

Crimes of the Black Cat
Something is Crawling in the Dark
Pensione Paura
The French Sex Murders
Slaughter Hotel

Giornata nera per l’ariete / The Fifth Cord (1971)

One great murder scene, easily guessed killer and one of those anti-climax far-fetched denouement of the killer’s motives.

Deep Red-1975

Meh…This was a chore to sit thru, i just couldn’t get into it. Pretty dull IMO not enough suspense to keep me involved, good soundtrack though.
Maybe with a better frame of mind i’ll attempt a re-watch, but it will be awhile for that i’m afraid.

The Crimes of the Black Cat-1972
Enjoyed this one, fairly entertaining. (Anthony Steffen) playing a blind pianist is ok in this Gialli and the rest of the cast isn’t too bad either. There’s some good stuff here and the plot twist at the end caught me off guard, didn’t see that coming. All in all, decent.

[quote=“Lone Gringo, post:594, topic:520”]Deep Red-1975

Meh…This was a chore to sit thru, i just couldn’t get into it. Pretty dull IMO not enough suspense to keep me involved, good soundtrack though.
Maybe with a better frame of mind i’ll attempt a re-watch, but it will be awhile for that i’m afraid.[/quote]
hmm… this is my favorite giallo or at least in my top5 and I think it’s one of the most suspenseful films I’ve seen. Did you watch the longer 2 hour cut? Most people prefer the shorter version.

^The longer version, Bill.

You should try the shorter version, longer is not always the better.

I prefer the shorter version as well.

I’ve only seen the longer version (about 3 times) and it still is a masterpiece to me. I have to check the short version out.

Do not mind either version, but probably prefer the shorter version :smiley: .