Giallo Genre (Italian Thrillers)

Gonna watch tonight A Quiet Place In The Country (1969) by Elio Petri. 8)
This is one of my favorite directors, his Investigation Of A Citizen Above Suspicion is one of th best Italian movies ever made and decidedly one of the most impressive films of all time IMHO.

I watched Mario Bava’s Giallo/Horror classic A Bay of Blood (1971) today. It’s a great film, tensly directed and bolstered by a terrific score and a twist ending that comes out of nowhere and leaves you reeling. Probably the best film I’ve seen this year.

Recently watched:

[glow=red,2,300]Inferno[/glow] and [glow=red,2,300]Four Flies On Grey Velvet[/glow] by Dario Argento

watched the really nice Koch editions that have great bonus material :slight_smile: and quite enjoyed them.

[glow=red,2,300]Seven Death In The Cat’s Eye[/glow] by Antonio Margheriti

[glow=red,2,300]Lisa And The Devil[/glow] by Mario Bava

Recently watched:

Lucio Fulci’s [glow=red,2,300]Lizard in a Woman’s skin[/glow] … liked it quite a bit.

Massimo Dallamano’s [glow=red,2,300]Cosa avete fatto a Solange?[/glow] … a really sad and tragic movie with a wonderful score by Morricone. The movie has fallen into oblivion in Germany under the title [glow=green,2,300]Das Geheimnis der grünen Stecknadel[/glow] - Edgar Wallace Series

Watched Sergio Martino’s

[glow=red,2,300]Your vice is a locked room and only I have the key[/glow]

with Luigi Pistilli, Anita Strinberg and Edwige Fenech (all do a great job).

Really, really good Giallo

Recently watched:

[glow=yellow,2,300]Il diavolo a sette facce[/glow] by Osvaldo Civriani … nice cast (Carol Baker, George Hilton…) but the movie’s dull. Not really a giallo.

[glow=yellow,2,300]Lo Strano vizio della Signora Wardh[/glow] by Sergio Martino (his first giallo) … great cast / really interesting movie.

[glow=yellow,2,300]Passi di danza su una lama di rasoio[/glow] by Maurizio Pradeaux … starring Nieves Navarro and George Martin / watched on Halloween and felt thoroughly entertained.

So Sweet, So Dead a.k.a Rivelazioni di un maniaco sessuale al capo della squadra mobile (great title)
-This was a pretty good giallo I had not heard about before. Starring Farley Granger and many beautiful Italian starlets in nude scenes, Susan Scott’s lovemaking scene is really hot! I’ve read from imdb that this was released in US with the title Penetration with inserted hardcore scenes. Somehow I guessed that while watching it. There was so many scenes where you could add some extra stuff ::slight_smile:

Basically it’s a very basic giallo, killings after another with a black-clad killer and so on but the ending was really impressive and different.

I agree, it’s one of my favorites.

Recently watched:

Lucio Fulci’s [glow=yellow,2,300]The Psychic[/glow], liked it a lot. Just don’t watch the trailer before you watch the movie. In my opinion that would ruin the movie.

Andreas Marschall’s [glow=yellow,2,300]MASKS[/glow], supposed to be a tribute to Bava, Argento and Martino and really good.

Duccio Tessari’s [glow=yellow,2,300]Una Farfalla con le ali insanguinate[/glow] aka Blutspur im Park / Das Messer with Helmut Berger and Günther Stoll. Check it out !!!

Recently watched:

Lucio Fulci’s [glow=yellow,2,300]The New York Ripper[/glow]: Really bloody and not bad but I like Fulci’s earlier Gialli better.

Sergio Martino’s [glow=yellow,2,300]La Coda Dello Scorpione[/glow] with Giallo regulars George Hilton and Anita Strindberg. Nice one :smiley:

Bluntwolf do you not watch any westerns these days then ?

Actually, I don’t have any SWs to watch right now. The last westerns I’ve watched were [glow=red,2,300]Vivo per la tua morte[/glow] and [glow=red,2,300]Requiescant[/glow]. Momentarily, I’m on Gialli. I don’t know too many Gialli yet (maybe 25 or so) but I’ve watched a whole bunch (around 350) of Spaghs over the last 2,5 decades.

On my to watch pile:

[glow=yellow,2,300]The Case of the Bloody Iris[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]Don’t torture a Duckling[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]The Black Belly of the Tarantula[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]Sleepless[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]Opera[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]All the Colors of the Dark[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]Spasmo[/glow]
[glow=red,2,300]Rabid Dogs[/glow]
[glow=red,2,300]La Polizia Ringratia[/glow]

Are there any recommendations regarding Gialli or Polizzioteschi (I know “Squadra Volante”; “Il Boss”; “Milano Calibro 9”; “Mad Dog Killer”) ???

Thats not bad going :slight_smile:

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:472, topic:520”]Actually, I don’t have any SWs to watch right now. The last westerns I’ve watched were [glow=red,2,300]Vivo per la tua morte[/glow] and [glow=red,2,300]Requiescant[/glow]. Momentarily, I’m on Gialli. I don’t know too many Gialli yet (maybe 25 or so) but I’ve watched a whole bunch (around 350) of Spaghs over the last 2,5 decades.

On my to watch pile:

[glow=yellow,2,300]The Case of the Bloody Iris[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]Don’t torture a Duckling[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]The Black Belly of the Tarantula[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]Sleepless[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]Opera[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]All the Colors of the Dark[/glow]
[glow=yellow,2,300]Spasmo[/glow]
[glow=red,2,300]Rabid Dogs[/glow]
[glow=red,2,300]La Polizia Ringratia[/glow][/quote]
Good films all of them especially ”All the colors of the dark” which I would recommend that you watch next. It’s Sergio Martino’s best Giallo together with “The strange vice of Mrs. Wardh”.
“Don’t torture a duckling” and “Rabid dogs” are also top Giallos.

Rabid Dogs by Bava is my favorite so far, other great ones are La Mala Ordina, Revolver, Street Law, The Big Racket, Live Like A Cop Die Like A Man.

”Watch me when I kill” has been watched. Prior to watching it I had heard that it was average at best, but I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. Though not a great giallo (it lacks in the nudity and gore department) I found it to be very suspenseful the whole way through and Corrado Pani is a good lead actor.

6/10

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:465, topic:520”]Watched Sergio Martino’s

[glow=red,2,300]Your vice is a locked room and only I have the key[/glow]

with Luigi Pistilli, Anita Strinberg and Edwige Fenech (all do a great job).

Really, really good Giallo[/quote]

I’d just say ‘good’. The special-effects are too weak. The cat-missing-an-eye wasn’t filmed right. Martino had the cat mugging into the camera so much, that it just looked like a stuffed-animal.

”Strip nude for your killer” has been watched. This is one of the sleaziest and goriest giallos made, but despite all the gore and nudity it’s only a bit above average IMO and that’s due to poor character development and bad music.
6/10

Any opinions on Lamberto Bava’s Macabre?

The Killer Must Kill Again (1975) aka L’Assassino è costretto ad uccidere ancora by Luigi Cozzi.

I thoroughly enjoyed this little giallo. It has some flaws, but they never are that disturbing. Luigi Cozzi decides to utilize slightly different script and therefore instead of whodunit plot there is what-gonna-happen-next stuff. The story about the guy who wants to get rid of his rich wife sounds very familiar, but there are interesting turnabouts to keep it riveting. On the whole, the flick is pretty well rendered. The first half is superb, although the writing is rather average up to that point, the editing makes it genuinely gripping and this looks terrific. The acting, camerawork, soundtrack - everything works very well, however, the aspect which truly fascinates me is ultimately atypical montage. Later, there is several new characters introduced and here the script gets stronger. The tension from this moment is even better and the couple of teenagers is really likable, not like in the case of Bay Of Blood (1970) by Bava, where their roles are used just in order to render the body count higher. The rape sequence is very graphic and it almost becomes a drawback, as it appears to last forever. The director seemingly tried to shock a viewer, but this almost makes the action stop. Fortunately, the ending murder sequence involving Femi Benussi, who appears on the screen just so as to show herself naked and get assassinated, is very well executed and the final conclusion is satisfying overall. I don’t know if it’s really a giallo, it reminds me more of a dark, moody crime. Regardless of this, The Killer Must Kill Again (1975) is well made, has decent amount of nudity, nice storytelling, tremendous editing, and good acting. Would like to give more, but this rape sequence was trying too hard to shock me, so only strong 6/10.