Giallo Genre (Italian Thrillers)

Oh, Barb is my favorite too, but if you’re taking a role from Hilton, you have to take his (most often) partner too.

1 Like

So, I’m presuming Barb. Bach here. But there’s Barb. Bouchet as well in Black Belly.

And I’m wondrin’ who you mean by his “partner”… amongst the giallos there’s a couple each with Fenech, Galli/Stewart and Strindberg? Lucky devil!

The Bloodstained Butterfly - intriguing stuff, stylish and intelligent (like I’d know) :sunglasses: … after a while I stopped trying to work out ‘who done it’… being more interested :wink: in where is it?

Anyway, towards the end, all was revealed thankfully…

Pheewww!

Watched Knife of Ice (Lenzi / 1972) and constantly found myself thinking I’d seen it before but I know I hadn’t. I guess it is just the nature of the genre using repeated tropes which start to blend in a bit after a while. No mind, enjoyed the film and always good to see Carroll Baker in these films. Ida Galli and Eduardo Fajardo don’t hurt either. What’s more, you get Lorenzo Robledo looking more like a Gerry Anderson puppet than ever. What more could you want?

Yes, its funny that in some 70s Italian movies there are abundances of J&B around. Whole cases of it being stacked, moved. Bottles all over the place, in every room it seems. J&B ashtrays everywhere. In “San Babila ore 20: un delitto inutile” which I saw recently and isn’t a giallo by the way I spotted at one point a whole wall of J&B bottles. And then in other movies, you have a hard time getting as much as a hint of a bottle.

Fulci is a hit ad miss director, somebody wrote on these pages
I agree
He thought this movie was a hit
I do not agree

The film is set in London, and a couple of years ago, the setting was the subject of an animated discussion on these pages:

I unboxed a new Koch release, it is an amazing 5 disc set

Nice. Got that box on my amazon.de wish list for several months now. Glad to see it has finally been released. Got the ‘old’ Shameless release of Footprints on the Moon but look forward to watching it in HD. Never watched La donna del lago before so that will be a first :slight_smile:

Have to disagree Scherp. Bridget Jones geographical nonsense aside this is one I always enjoy. And Florinda definitely hit all the right buttons for me. Sexy in a slightly unconventional way maybe but definitely sexy.

You were the guy I was quoting. We disagree on this movie and that woman.

Happens, like some other thing that I won’t mention

I’ll support Phil. Lizard is the best Fulci movie to me and Florinda was one of better actresses in Italian genre cinema imho.

I support brother titoli supporting brother Phil… Lizard was superb and the rooftop stuff, as improbably geographical as it transpires, was spectacularly cinematic.

Tonight’s fun was The Red Queen Kills 7 Times which I seem to remember Brother Phil had commented on back in the mist of thread, about the rather stylish interiors - horizontally striped walls, and the rather fetching and revealing post-shower attire (unfortunately male), which decorated this twisty J&B sodden tale.

This pretty much had everything a cliche-ridden giallo should have, except genuine scary-stuff tension (which is fine for a wuss like me). As a camp example of the genre it was almost perfect - and that’ll do for tonight’s entertainment.

Besides the twisty, convoluted meta-logic wrapped up in gothic-prophesy, it had creative cartoony murders and some nakedity distractions, plus a red phone, a spiral staircase and plenty of B.B. and J&B…

Camp giallo pantomime… “It’s behind you!”
Great stuff!

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Off course Bouchet was the one on my mind too.

That’s my thoughts exactly

You of course got the Red Queen action figure… or just figure:

Ha ha … tacky.
Is this the one that has The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave with it?
Confusing these could be, as The Red Queen… is also about the possibility that Evelyn has returned from the dead as well.

Apparently I missed a couple of bottles in Black Belly….

I found this site about J&B in the movies with a big section on giallos…
(I don’t know whether it’s been previously mentioned?) Somebody has had a lot of fun putting in the research on this. The pic of Marisa Mell’s thigh-gap and a bottle from Perversion Story is genius :yum:

http://atrocitynights.com/JnB/JnB.htm

That’s the one! Arrow is going to release that in a blu-ray edition at some point in the near future and, fingers crossed, hopefully also The Red Queen Kills Seven Times. Still, the box set with the figure is nice to have. And it’s tasty not tacky :slight_smile:

Alan Jones has tweeted that he and Kim Newman recorded new audio commentaries for THE BLOODSTAINED BUTTERFLY & THE RED QUEEN KILLS 7 TIMES for Arrow, or were going to on January 12. They did the commentary for What Have You Done to Solange? and several Argentos like BWtCP, Suspiria, and Tenebre. Great commentaries also, much better than the equivalent spaghetti commentaries that happen for Blue Underground.

https://twitter.com/alanfrightfest/status/687162562975260673