El Puro / La taglia è tua … l’uomo l’ammazzo io (Edoardo Mulargia, 1969)

Benvenuto all’inferno?

El Puro, Antonio (Fioravanti), Lady of Doom:

Puro gets thrown out of jail and into the mud – LoD’s final appearance:

Actually while Brazil is technically PAL, to all intents and purposes it is NTSC (it is really confusing because they have some hybrid thing there). DVDs are sold as NTSC (I just checked my copy of Barreto’s O Cangaceiro to make sure)

They have a unique TV system called PAL-M, same frame rate and scan lines as NTSC but PAL colour encoding.

Had this laying around for about a week before I got to view it, and boy was it ever a gem. First scene’s to catch my eye feature the remarkable Rosalba Neri, ( this may be her best Spaghetti Western). She is wonderful as (Rosie) a dropdead sexy, kind hearted, and brave women, who does her best to try and take care of El Puro who as far as she can see has lost everything. El Puro was once a feared gunslinger, but times have past, and he now suffers from alcoholism. El Puro has a bounty on him, and the bounty hunters will stop at nothing untll he’s dead. Their’s quite a number of tragic, violent, and bleak moments, and the last hour is pretty tense. Overall if you like your spaghetti westerns bleak, and tragic this is for you.

Which DVD or version of the film did you watch?

This one:

http://www.cultaction.com/film-catalog/spaghetti-western/el-puro-dvd-1969/

I wish El Puro was in the official top 20. It’s definitely in mine.

A decent, wide blu-ray release by Blue Underground or Arrow or somesuch would see this movie comfortably into the SWDB Big 20, I reckon.

1 Like

You can all download this version here:

http://rarelust.com/the-rewards-yours-the-mans-mine-1969

Instead of buying overly expensive boots in VHS quality, as they only feature a VHS rip.

As long as no DVD is released, this one will do it.

Here too, to dig up the original edit of the film is absolutely imperative, necessary and urgent. :relaxed:

1 Like

Released on DVD in South Africa, under the title ‘You Keep the Bounty Money. I’ll Kill Him’.

Anybody have it?

By Global Video / Naushad ?

Edit: I guess not. It is this one:

http://www.impactvideo.co.za/search.asp?Index=0&search_cat=0&search_type=DVD&search_price=0&search_char=bounty+money&search_field=Title&x=0&y=0

40 Rand isn’t even 3 euro so probably not a stellar release.

Then one you must buy? :wink:

1 Like

Well if it was still the best release around I would certainly consider it, but not so much so that I would feel myself forced to buy it if that’s what you mean?

Also, shipping will probably be something like 4 times as much so not that much in a hurry to buy it.

There is a very good fan version, so there is no need to buy anything which isn’t in pristine quality. And this film deserves a high quality release more than any other Spaggie. Of those not released in good quality yet.

It’s one of the 10 best SWs, and with a good release it will find easily many more admirers.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. Without doubt the best Spag not yet given a widely available release of at least decent quality. If Arrow or similar gave El Puro a blu-ray release tomorrow it would crash the SWDB Essential Twenty within two years I feel, even with approx 250 points to find in order to achieve that, and I would implore any newer members or for that matter anybody who hasn’t yet seen El Puro to check out the link provided by Stanton above. If you’re reading this forum you’re clearly interested in spaghetti westerns and if you’re interested in spaghetti westerns, you absolutely won’t regret trying this one.

So anything that can be had in better quality on cinemageddon you should just refrain from buying? That is exactly the downside of sites like cinemageddon. Why buy something I already downloaded in similar quality two years ago.

I don’t think Arrow’s spaghetti western releases are faring that well for some reason. Koch Media, Explosive Media or Coyote are probably better bets for a release.

Well, if a film like that is released on DVD, it should have at least a good DVD quality, and then I buy it, but if it is only in VHS quality, like so many German releases in the last 2 years, then I don’t buy it.

Actually I wouldn’t buy a bad DVD if the only alternative is that old VHS version we all have. Cause that is good enough to enjoy the film, and I don’t need another crap release, I already have more DVDs and Blus than I can watch (and find a place for to store).

Of course good fan releases can be a problem, but that I can’t change. And only waiting for a good legal release might only tax my patience.

Pristine quality you mean, not only good. Your own words :slight_smile: And that is the exact problem I have with this. Of course you shouldn’t feel inclined to buy sub-par releases but when you think twice about buying a spaghetti western release that is only just as good as what you already have (downloaded), well goodbye new spaghetti releases.

I have a feeling that a lot of the people frequenting cinemageddon doesn’t own a genuine release of anything.

Ok, pristine was a bit exaggerated, but it should at least be as good as that fan version (which I don’t have so far btw).

I haven’t bought any of these cheap releases, mostly because these are nearly all films I don’t want to have. But if for example A Bullet for Sandoval is shorter than my wonderful Tijuana version, and maybe even in lesser quality, than I don’t feel the necessity to buy that. Not even for one lousy buck.

I recently downloaded Copperface in bad quality. It was a good Spagie, better than expected, and I would like buy the DVD of this one, but not in that shit quality.