El Puro / La taglia è tua … l’uomo l’ammazzo io (Edoardo Mulargia, 1969)

A new film for the tar and feathers party?

Spaghetti-land sure is a weird place for polarizing opinions.
The more spaghettis I see the more I appreciate films like this. I still think about it. It haunts me. I would go so far as to say it is brilliant, and that genius lurks within its dark and spartan walls.

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:82, topic:795”]Spaghetti-land sure is a weird place for polarizing opinions.
The more spaghettis I see the more I appreciate films like this. I still think about it. It haunts me. I would go so far as to say it is brilliant, and that genius lurks within its dark and spartan walls.[/quote]

Yeah at first I was reluctant to post anything negative about this movie because I acknowledge that many people on this forum like this film. However, this is probably the closest I’ve ever come to hating an SW. The movie disgusted me for some reason.

My friend hated this one as thought it is was to bleak and dark.

Don’t worry about my sensibilities on this amigo. I like to hear why somebody has an opposing view to my own. Fire away - I’d love you to elaborate further.

Exactly! ;D

My thoughts aswell

If a very old film had disturbed a grown man with it’s darkness, I’m there! A Spaghetti can never be too bleak or dark.

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:85, topic:795”]Don’t worry about my sensibilities on this amigo. I like to hear why somebody has an opposing view to my own. Fire away - I’d love you to elaborate further.

Exactly! ;D[/quote]

Where do I start LOL. I hated everything about this film. For once I actually agree with the negative imdb user comment. A script that falls apart. Dialogue and moments that are forced. Extremely thin plot. Things happen with no explanation (The kid from Cjamango, where did he come from LOL). A total lack of action and gunplay. Poor characterizations and relationships between the characters. Badly explained subplots. Scenes seemed to be just there to buy up time, instead of adding to the story. The two men kissing (not something I want to see in a SW) Very slow moving and badly paced, making the movie seem longer than it was. And most of all, just plain boring. It wasn’t the dark and bleak aspect that bothered me. Those things are fine. I welcome them. It was the other stuff.

I did however like the soundtrack. And I thought Marc Fiorni acted pretty good. This film had potential for sure. I was really dissapointed, especially when just a few days ago, I experienced a very pleasant surprise from Tequila Joe, which also features an alcoholic. Sorry to say, but I have to put this on the top of my “worst SW I ever saw” list. Even worse than Black killer, Bounty hunter for Trinity, Troublemakers, and (gulp) Boot Hill! The film just gave me an unhappy and empty feeling. Like I was having withdrawal symptoms or something.

Worse than Bounty hunter for Trinity !? I wouldn’t go that far. I’ve enjoyed El Puro :frowning: !

Good review Colonel, with deep insight, some typing errors here and there (I’ve corrected them, hope you don’t mind), but otherwise very good, could be from me:

"A script that never falls apart. Dialogue and moments that are forced. Extremely clever plot. Things happen with no explanation like in real life . Only occasional, but then very well and exciting staged action and gunplay. Rich characterizations and relationships between the characters. Wonderful explained subplots. None of the Scenes seemed to be just there to buy up time, instead they are always adding to the story. The two men kissing (not something I want to see in a SW, but here it’s surprisingly great) Very slow moving and amazingly paced, making the movie seem longer than it was. And most of all, just plain exciting. It was the dark and bleak aspect that fascinated me. Those things are fine. I welcome them.

I did also like the soundtrack. And I thought Marc Fiorni acted pretty good. This film had potential for sure. Glad to say, but I have to put this on the top of my “best SW I ever saw” list. "

Great lines - I know what you mean.
Relish the pain!

Great review, both of you, great, marvellous, but still … but still some thoughts seemed a bit blurry, I guess this is what you meant to say:

"The film has its moments, but it does work better in parts than as a whole. Some plot-twists seem more clever than they probably are. Like in real life, things happen with no explanation at all, but this isn’t real life, it’s a movie. The action scenes are few and far between, but they are well-staged and deliciously nasty. The plot is a bit labyrintic, with barely explained subplots and rather off-beat characterasitions and relationships. There’s even a kiss between two men, a thing some viewers won’t be happy with since we’re talking about a western, the macho genre par excellence. On the other hand, a woman is knocked out with the head, a thing most viewers will be happy with, since we’re talking about a western, the macho genre par excellence. It’s rather slow-moving, occasionally even sluggish, but atmosphere is great and the dark and bleak aspect sure will appeal to fans of the genre.

This film won’t crack my Top 20, but I’m glad I was able to watch it."

The three of you still havn’t got it quite right - it needs a more esoteric deconstructiony ‘reading’ …

I love the hate.
Diabolical memories forced.
Existential thinking.
Attonement through alchohol and gunplay.
Flawed characters resigned to a realisation of destiny.
Bare and enigmatic subplots.
Virtual sublimation of joissance, pleasure’s destruction into a nihalistic and inevitable pain of longing.
Two men kissing - disturbs desire.
Very slow but moving, sad in places - hauntingly brutal in its essence.
Most of all - thought provoking …
It’s dark and bleak aspects a seduction into contemplation of finality.
To move outside,
To be with the other.
That’s the stuff!

Or as Brother Ennioo puts it better …

… indeed!

Sublime! ;D

Haha I love this thread. After reading your replies I can certainly understand why you guys like the film. ALthough I probably hate the film for those same reasons!

Ok maybe not as bad as that. LOL.

That was excactly what I wanted to say when I “raped” your post, Colonel.

My Love and your Hate for El puro is founded on the indentical things. Wonderful.

Scherp, there are also a few typing errors in your post, not as much as in the Colonel’s, but still a few.
I’m sure what you what you wanted to say was:

"The film is filled with wonderful moments, and the whole is better than the sum of its parts. The plot-twists are as clever as they seem. Like in real life, things happen with no explanation at all, but this isn’t real life, it’s a movie. The action scenes are few and far between, but they are well-staged and deliciously nasty. The plot is a bit labyrintic, with barely explained subplots and rather off-beat characterasitions and relationships, but the gaps add only to the excitement. There’s even a kiss between two men, a thing some viewers won’t be happy with since we’re talking about a western, the macho genre par excellence. On the other hand, a woman is knocked out with the head, a thing most viewers will be happy with, since we’re talking about a western, the macho genre par excellence. It’s rather slow-moving, but never sluggish, and the atmosphere is great and the dark and bleak aspect sure will appeal to fans of the genre.

This film has easily cracked my Top 20, and I’m so glad I was able to watch it."

Now we are nearing us completition.

We only have to include somehow the posts of the Rev and Brother Ennio, which both belong apparently to the most assured “typers” in this forum. At leasts their post are rather flawless.

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:89, topic:795”]Worse than Bounty hunter for Trinity !? I wouldn’t go that far. I’ve enjoyed El Puro :frowning: ![/quote]And I even liked BHFT, such a good nonsense action film.

I have to admit, not without envy, you are hating on an amazingly high level.
With films like Gulp Hill and El gulpo in it, your Gulp-20 is probably more interesting than other people’s top-20!

I was quite a bit amused by that movie :smiley: ! Jeff Cameron shooting arrows from the front but the arrows hit the back of his opponents :smiley: ;D :smiley: !!!

[quote=“Stanton, post:98, topic:795”]I have to admit, not without envy, you are hating on an amazingly high level.
With films like Gulp Hill and El gulpo in it, your Gulp-20 is probably more interesting than other people’s top-20![/quote]

I know Ain’t no stopping me!