El Puro / La taglia è tua … l’uomo l’ammazzo io (Edoardo Mulargia, 1969)

Here is what Autephex said re this:

The quality of this one is indeed the best so far, but the version suffers from the cuts and from an additional masking on top and bottom which makes the images look odd in some scenes. E.g. in the final duel in some shots the feet of Puro are not visible anymore, which looks strange even without comparing it with the old VHS version.

The cuts are all made early in the film. The min 7 -15 of the VHS version are completely missing. 3 complete scenes including Puro’s introduction scene. Probably the master was faulty and they skipped the complete scenes.
The only addition I have noticed was that the last (short) shot is now in. It was already in the fandub version, but not on the VHS.

I have watched the DVD only in parts, so there may be some more differences.

Ok, I have the Autephex version but haven’t watched it yet actually

The old vhs is thankfully quite acceptable picture quality, and it’s even the right aspect ratio then?

Has a cropped ratio the old vhs:

[quote=“Stanton, post:70, topic:795”]And I’m thankfully for it, cause the 1,78:1 a.r. is a good enough compromise, the colors are quite good and the sharpness is ok on a small screen.

One of the better versions based on old VHS recordings.[/quote]

It should be 2,35:1, but I see no reason to mask a 2,35:1 picture, but they did. What we see at top and bottom should be the same in the 1,78:1 and in the 2,35:1 versions.

Point is that the composition of the picture looks often wrong, and the VHS version verifies this.

Well I didn’t like this one too much. Some things were awesome, however I’m not keen on this movie very much.
The story on the first glance is superb, but dialogues sometimes are simply terrible (particularly I hate Brega’s kamikaze scene “I’m gonna get ya El Puro!!!”). I don’t like the moment, when the Mexican meets the killer gang. Somehow strangely filmed. And of course a gay kiss, quite annoying. :o
At least Alessandroni makes a fine job, his soundtrack is one of the very best! :wink:
Slightly above average, not top 20 stuff for me, but there are certainly people who will like it and I can see why. A very esoteric cinema with a very strange atmosphere.

i love that scene

yes, indeed - and scene on a rockin chair is one of my favorites in SW movies

[quote=“autephex, post:74, topic:795”]I recently obtained an Italian release of El Puro, the source of which I am not sure of, since none of the official or DVDR releases I am aware of have Italian audio tracks. This one has a statement in the beginning, in Italian, which says something to the effect of "some of the scenes are not presented in Italian because there is no italian audio track for these scenes and the scenes have been presented to preserve the best viewing experience."
Runtime on this Italian release is roughly 1 hour 40 mins, with the time of the previous message omitted, as well as a bit of excess time at the end of the film.[/quote]

This is decidedly improbable, since according to Anica data film length of the December 1969 Italian version (in Spain the film was released only in August 1971) was 2750 metres, equivalent to 100m30s.

Does 1h40m not equal 100 mns ?

That’s what Jonathan wanted to say. He argues that for the given runtime there must be Italian audio.

But the fandub runs 107 min (103’ in Pal) with some scenes in Italian only. If the Italian version really runs only 100 min, there must be some extra stuff in the English version.

Jonathan I still don’t know why you trust Anica that much. There are much too much Weisserish differences to call their data trustworthy.

Thanks, I thought 100 minutes was a 24fps runtime.

Anica data should not be taken as gospel truth, but I think they are for sure the most reliable data available to us (there are “Weisserish differences” but also many cases of total correspondence with the actual runtime).

I think it’s a matter of taste. Some may like it, some may hate it. But anyway I still think it’s the must-see film for experienced fans of the genre. Definitely isn’t not a crap. :slight_smile:

i agree - it´s not in my Top 20 (maybe one day it will, who knows)
in some scenes it little reminded me some westerns with art touch like McCabe and Mrs.Miller (i´m very fond of that movie)
i think Wood delivered great unusual performance
well, but back to Brega kamikadze scene - when i saw it i just had a good laugh and i played that scene few times - very funny stuff for me :smiley:

Robert Woods on “El Puro”:

“We saw the concept of ‘El Puro’ as the death and rebirth of a gunfighter… a kind of Buddhist Western. We did everything toward that end, until El Puro dies… The final scene which I had written…we ended up NOT shooting. It is the twentieth century. A dilapidated tour bus with all the characters in the piece, dressed as hippies, stops at a dusty, old, Western cemetery, next to the tomb-stone of El Puro… The bus driver, (I was going to ask my friend Clint Eastwood if he would do it as a favor to me, but I didn’t because the producers liked the ending the way it was released), delivers a few words about the era, as we observe a close-up of each character… then the bus drives on, kicking up dust and disappearing into the sunset as the end titles run…”

Read the complete interview at my blog: POR UM PUNHADO DE EUROS: Ciclo Robert Woods | Entrevista exclusiva

1 Like

Very interesting.

It’s an intriguing idea, Clint Eastwood in El Puro, but somehow I can’t see him in it.

Personally I don´t like the idea much, but I must admit it would have been something different.

Nice job on the interview, pedro!

Thank you. :wink:

Of course, if that proposed ending had been made used in the finished film, El Puro would have a decent DVD release by now…

Well done on the interview too, p.pereira!

Great interview p.pereira!

On the topic of El Puro, I’m a little confused when it comes to the actresses. On the SWDB and on IMDb Mariangela Giordano is credited as being Babe, but throughout the film this character is always taking care of the bar while the other supporting female character seems like just some saloon girl and the only other credited actress (aside from Neri) Lisa Seagram is credited as “Bar owner” which seems weird. I’m not familiar with either actresses so I’m really not sure which is which, but I have a feeling something’s mixed up, can anybody help?

I’m currently debating with myself over which film between For a Fistful of Dollars, Sonny and Jed and El Puro will take my 20th spot on my top 20, I just love all three so much!